Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Nissan has given up on trucks and full frame SUVs. They're only now updating the Titan. Frontier has been left for dead. I haven't even seen an Armada in years.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have my rock solid wrangler, good for at least another 5 years, hopefully they will still be making these when it comes time to trade it in.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's a bummer. I've always liked the Xterra's even if they have grown a bit soft. Between losing that and the FJ, it's getting to be Wrangler or nothing. Hopefully that lack of competition won't make Jeep go soft on the new one when it comes out.

·
Super Moderator
13,038 Posts
I owned a 2005 Xterra: it was quite possibly the worst vehicle I ever owned.

The engine was peppy but felt crude, sounded coarse, and guzzled gas like there was no tomorrow
The suspension leaned heavily on curves, leaned backward when you hit the gas and forward when you hit the brakes
The interior screamed "cheap" --Nissan claim it was "functional"-- with acres of hard plastics and no style whatsoever

I couldn't stand it; got rid of it after five months.

Our Wranglers are well designed, well thought out, refined machines next to an Xterra.

Good riddance.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Couple years back I thought I scored on a rental car for a trip for work when they gave me the keys to an Xterra. Boy wow that thing was a pos. Had maybe 200 miles on it and sounded like it was falling apart and I felt like I was driving a boat .It was a long long trip across PA and back.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
This is not surprising. Nissan has been loosing ground for some time and their partnership with Renault hasn't helped much. Designs aren't bad but quality pales in comparison to Toyota.

If the new Defender and possibly new Bronco have brisk sales you will likely see a new entrant from both Nissan and Toyota.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have two Wranglers and an 05 Xterra SE. The Xterra is one of the best vehicles I've ever had. One sensor recall in 10 years and it has never been to the dealer for warranty work. I guess aldo90731 wouldn't agree, but all manufacturers build lemmons. The 3.6 runs great, the ride is smooth and the price was right at the time. I would buy another one, but I'll keep this one. I wouldn't replace my JK with one, but they're two different vehicles. The Xterra is my choice for long trips and it holds a ton of cargo.

·
Super Moderator
13,038 Posts
Nissan didn't "build" a lemon, it "designed" a potato.

There's a lot of pickup trucks that can give you ten years of trouble-free ownership, serve as long distance vehicle, give you comparable fuel economy, and hold their value much better.

To me, holdin onto that Xterra for 10 years would have been like hearing someone scrape fingers across a blackboard for 10 years. As soon as I realized I had made a mistake, I got rid of it.

Wrangler has been outselling Xterra 10 to 1, selling at much higher prices, without incentives, and retaining its value at three times the rate over Xterra. During Xterra's development, Nissan was more concerned with designing a "lifestyle" vehicle that looked fun and cool, than giving it ultimate capability. The fact that Nissan has let Xterra rot for ten years without putting a dime into it, says a lot.

I have seen Xterras on the trail: their poor performance is not limited to the road. I saw an Xterra almost flip over in front of me because it had the articulation of an arthritic vegetable.

Wish I had had my camera; it looked something like this, but worse.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nissan didn't care for the Xterra. It looked the same as it did 10+ years ago, MPG wasn't looked at. and the fact the 2015's were still unrefined leads me to believe that NO R&D was put into making it better. Maybe they thought, "Why bother"? Plus for an offroad vehicle everything looks pretty flush and not able to be upgraded as easily as a jeep. Oh well, before my wrangler i thought about gettin one, but it was too expensive for what it was.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The XTerra was never designed to compete with the Wrangler, asaic. It was aimed more so at the Cherokee/Liberty lineup. Go to Nissan Computer Corporation and read the story about how Nissan Corp. bankrupted this guy over his website. This is the reason I will never own a Nissan.
Wow... that was an interesting read. Thanks for the link. That really sucks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I stopped by Nissans after owning a Titan, really bad QC and the 4WD conked out a few times.
Mine's been flawless for 160,000 miles. HARD on gas, but flawless. I laugh when folks here complain about MPG. Drive my T for a week . . .

Back on topic- pretty soon all that will be left will be unibody bubble shaped SUVs like the Rav-4. And that's too bad . . .

·
Registered
155 Posts
My first vehicle was an 86 Nissan Hardbody pickup. That thing was bulletproof. My brother and I drove that thing like we had another one waiting for us at home. It was unstoppable. I haven't been in a Nissan is years, so don't know about their quality these days, but that old navy blue truck was a tank.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.