Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Detail Oriented
3,184 Posts
Okay newbie here...how easy is it to change a 4 cyl to a 6 cyl on a 2.0 liter '94 yj?
Hi. I am a TJ guy learning about YJs. This is a common questions in the TJ forums and I am certain the answer is the same for the YJ:

• frame bosses for motor mounts will have to be cut off and new ones in the correct location will have to be welded on
• different main wiring harnesses
• different radiators
• different computers (my ignorance, here: do YJs have computers? I would think so)

Swapping out your 2.5L for a 4.0L or 4.2L would take enough labor, parts and money that you might as well do a small block Chevy V8 or a Dodge Hemi conversion. For a TJ to do this pretty much the AC compressor and evaporator are the only things you can save. Everything else has to be changed to make a 4.0L work. Many of the issues stem from the emissions gear and how the engine PCM tunes stuff. The parts all must match versions for them to play well together.

If you want to go the GM engine route I highly recommend reading up on it at the Novak site.

Novak Conversions :: Swap Guides

Whatever you end up doing, best of luck to you! If I have posted anything that is bogus I am sure a real YJ person will correct my ignorance. I am just passing on the problems of doing this for a TJ. I cannot imagine it being much different for a YJ - especially the motor mount frame bosses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 94 wrangler On the dash to the left of the fan, temp and heat controls are three rocker switches , can someone tell me what these are for, all markings are rubbed off of them. The middle one pushes in and a light comes on

·
Registered
2 Posts
94 Wrangler Rocker switches

I have a 94 wrangler , on the dash to the left of the temp. fan and thermostat switches are three rocker switches, can someone tell me what these are for. On of them when you press it a light comes on it but all writing is worn off

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 94 wrangler , on the dash to the left of the temp. fan and thermostat switches are three rocker switches, can someone tell me what these are for. On of them when you press it a light comes on it but all writing is worn off
previous owner installed them for lights/ aux power for other accessories?? You would have to go under the dash and trace the wiring

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Mark 1952,

I assume that you're referring to the #198 post by VMX12Rider dated 01-19-2016.
I seem to remember something about different sized carriers for 3:07s and 4:10s, but I don't remember what the cutoff is. It's possible the 3:73s use the larger carrier.

I'm trying to get the owner of a barn find to let go of an '87 YJ with a stick 6 and stock 3:55 gears. I was surprised to find the 3:55 gears in a standard shift YJ.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I repeatedly see that all 2.5”# are listed with 4.10 gears as a blanket statement. Even this sticky does it. Apparently some if not all of the 2.5 automatics came with 3.73”s

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,692 Posts
I repeatedly see that all 2.5”# are listed with 4.10 gears as a blanket statement. Even this sticky does it. Apparently some if not all of the 2.5 automatics came with 3.73”s
Just the 5spds come with 4.10's. I doubt anybody would have bought a new 2.5 off a dealers lot with 3.73's. It wouldn't have any pep after 3rd gear. LOL

·
Registered
124 Posts
ISO a aluminum valve cover for a 2.5 yj 1990 to replace the crap plastic cover that continues to leak.
Also found a bull brush bar for it also was a steal for $40 bucks. Had to travel to pickup but it is all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at a YJ

I currently have a 1997 TJ and love it but one of my sons has been driving it a lot so I have been looking for another for myself. I know someone with a 1989 YJ with 14,000 original miles that is in basically brand new condition. I personally know the original owner who kept it stored on a lift in his barn. He rarely drove it (obviously) and now is willing to part with it. Because of its age I don't even know how to price it. What would be a fair price to pay for a jeep in that great of condition?

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's great! I love the old ads. Does anyone have any original documentation that shows what were available for options from the factory? I love jeeps that are mostly original I am trying to confirm what options could have been factory installed on my 1993 Base model. I just decoded the VIN which doesn't give you much. I know the Sahara had some different options.

·
Retired Moderator
103,565 Posts
That's great! I love the old ads. Does anyone have any original documentation that shows what were available for options from the factory? I love jeeps that are mostly original I am trying to confirm what options could have been factory installed on my 1993 Base model. I just decoded the VIN which doesn't give you much. I know the Sahara had some different options.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
You might be able to contact Chrysler and ask them for a build sheet. They'll need your VIN. I don't know if they're doing this anymore, perhaps other posters can tell you if it's still being done.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,692 Posts
I think IRQ has a boatload of that kind of stuff. Seems like he posted a couple catalogs a while back. You may be able to find them using the search.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts