Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

121 - 140 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 6cyl motors can last for 300,000 miles if taken care off properly like regular oil changes and stuff. The 4cyl on the other hand I don't know much about but iv heard that it dosnt last anywhere neer the time the 6 does
I have a 4 cylinder that popped at 168k but it went for a swim and bent a rod. I've sean others go around 200k. I'm sure there are others on here that have seen less and more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
List looks good, the only 3.55's I have ever encountered were in pre 91 models...and they are few and far between. In the last 20 6 cylinder jeeps I have had, only 2 of them had the 3.55's
The Sahara trim came with 3.73 gears at least from 1991 up.
Im kind of new to the jeeps but not new to being a tech on big trucks. idk if i got a rare jeep or not but it is a 93 Sahara trim with factory 3.55's in it. The only reason i know they are is i trashed the stock D35 within the first 2hr's of owning the thing haha. when i dropped the diff cover i counted the teeth an came out with 3.55. i planned on putting a 8.8 in it but found a d35 from an xj for free an just had to spin the perches and change the shock mounts which i did in an hour or so. i checked the vin an sure enough it came with factory 3.55s

·
Registered
142 Posts
The capacity is 20 gallons but on most the fill tube restricts it to 15. You can take the rear fender well off pop the top off of the tank and trim it so that you can get the full capacity. Do a search for fuel tank mod a member did a write up on it not to long ago

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Airboatingobx said:
The capacity is 20 gallons but on most the fill tube restricts it to 15. You can take the rear fender well off pop the top off of the tank and trim it so that you can get the full capacity. Do a search for fuel tank mod a member did a write up on it not to long ago
Found it thanks can't wait to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great info... What we need is an audio file page so we can submit the rattle and hum of the week and use the forum to diagnose. I can't get my 92 to produce it's new sound with a mechanic or jeep yoda nearby..

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been having problems going into 1st gear and shifting even when I'm not moving. Its a 95 4cyl. I think the tranny could be leaking because I can clearly see some kind of fluid dripping from under the jeep. I'd like to check the fluid levels. Where is the hole to check and add fluid?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been having problems going into 1st gear and shifting even when I'm not moving. Its a 95 4cyl. I think the tranny could be leaking because I can clearly see some kind of fluid dripping from under the jeep. I'd like to check the fluid levels. Where is the hole to check and add fluid?
the manual transmition fill plug is mounted high on the passenger side of the case you have to pull the plug and the fluid should be just below the plug opening. You may also want to check the hydrolic clutch line to ensure that you do not have a leak there. this could explain your issues shifting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
need help

Excellent post, I need information on the rear axle for a 1988 YJ I need a passenger side axle, but know sure on how many spline or if is a non c clip or clip type, also some measurements would be helpful. I have an 1988 YJ with the 4.2 six cylinder and 5 speed transmission. thanks in advance.

Well, I'm making this post to help some of the newcomers understand what they have, and provide a few great resources. This isn't a guide that has my advice, or my opinions...just straight facts about whats in your Jeep.

Engines:

6 Cylinders
4.2 L AMC 258 was used from 1987 to 1991
4.0 L AMC 242 from 1991-1995

4 Cylinders
2.5 L AMC 150

Transmissions:
6 Clyiners

Manual-
Peugeot BA-10 1987-1989
Aisin AX-15 1988-1995

Auto-
TF999 1987-1992 Non lock up
TF999 1992-1995 Electronic Shift
The electronic shift years could be wrong.

4 Cylinders

Manual
Aisin AX-5 1987-1995

Automatic
TF904 1994-1995

Transfer Case
Some YJ's from 1987 came with the NP207, the rest came with the NP231

Towing Capacity:
Frame is rated to pull 2,200 pounds.

Axles
Front
D30

Rear
D35

Differential Gear ratios
6 Cylinders
3.07 or 3.55
From everything I've see, these are the most common. If someone could
throw some more numbers out there with years, that would be great.

4 Cylinders

AN EXCELLENT RESOURCE FOR INFO, AND ENGINE/TRANNY SWAP INFO:
Novak Jeep Conversions - Home

GEAR RATIO GUIDE:
Jeep Wrangler Gear Ratio Guide

LIFT REVIEWS:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/yj-lift-reviews-25156.html

JEEP PARTS:
Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories, & Jeep Tops
Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec

HOW DOES MY HEAT WORK?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/yj-heating-system-explained-68618.html

MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. OH CRAP.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/check-engine-light-68329.html

MY STEERING IS GOOFY. WHAT TO DO?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/how-i-tightened-up-my-steering-71025.html

MY SEATS SUCK! WHERE CAN I FIND CHEAP REPLACEMENTS:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/these-seats-bolt-right-in-and-are-cheap-60648-2.html#post796754

There are a few things that could be wrong in here, and if you see anything wrong please say so. Also, if there are some other threads some people would find useful from the past, please put them in a comment!

Hope this helps some people out! :punk:

·
Registered
5 Posts
new to jeeps. brand new actually cause we havent actually purchased our first one yet. still doin some research. I like the look of the YJ and need to be 92 or newer because i need the shoulder belts in back. ive been reading people say the yj is very stiff with no flex... is this true? ive always been a leaf spring fan over coils so what can i do to soften the ride a lil if i end up with a stiff yj?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
new to jeeps. brand new actually cause we havent actually purchased our first one yet. still doin some research. I like the look of the YJ and need to be 92 or newer because i need the shoulder belts in back. ive been reading people say the yj is very stiff with no flex... is this true? ive always been a leaf spring fan over coils so what can i do to soften the ride a lil if i end up with a stiff yj?
The Track Bars (purposely) stiffen up the suspension. Removing them frees up a lot of articulation, and disconnecting the swaybar also frees up articulation in the front.

No Track Bars in front of rear, disconnected front swaybar:

STOCK leafs. My buddies 2001 TJ with a 3" lift on 31's doesn't flex nearly as much..

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks xpress! that is the kind of info i was looking for. do u drive on pavement without the track bars? i mean do u just remove and discard them or do u need then to do something when u drive down the freeway?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank You Mike the info has been invaluable, Im a newbee to jeeps and mechanics too.Instead of paying to have my jeep done the way I want, Im trying to do all I can myself W/ help from the shop when needed.This info gave me a starting point to everything related to my jeep!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked at the tag on my front and rear pumpkin and it had 373 which I believe is the ratio? I have a 1995 YJ 4 banger automatic. I wonder if you could request certain changes when purchasing from the factory? Mine is equivalent to a Sport or X i would guess. Definitely not a Sahara.

121 - 140 of 216 Posts