Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yuppie Jeep - definition - a Jeep that has been used for normal driving. Not sure how far I will get with this but it could be fun trying. My first Jeep was a 1997 TJ Sport. I was the second owner. The first owner had never taken it off road. It was completely stock. Say what you will but when you are looking to buy a Jeep, the Yuppie Jeep is the one to buy. This time around I was on a limited budget. I looked for a while but I really couldn't find a Yuppie YJ. All of them were rode hard and put up wet. I finally settled on one that had a trashed interior, ran rough but had a rust free frame. It wasn't a steal but it wasn't a bad deal either.

So far my plan is to try and get it back to some sort of presentable condition in terms of running and looks. My budget is very limited. I figure if I can follow through, it could make an interesting "build" thread.

Here is a picture from the day that I got it.

It was covered in Alabama clay. This weekend I cleaned a ton of it out. The rear carpet is the OEM carpet however the front carpet was some sort of gray, flannel crap that was pretty good about holding water and allowing some rust of the floor boards. I cut out most of the flannel carpet from the front and hosed out the clay from the back carpet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One of the issues that I had was that the tires seemed a little too big and were rubbing against the flares. Because this is a four banger, I decided to look for some stock wheels and tires. I bought some Jeep Grand Cherokee wheels and tires from Craigslist for $175. My goal is to sell the oversized wheels and tires and hopefully recoup my cost on the GC wheels and tires and maybe have a little left over for some carpet and the center dash piece.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, besides cutting out the carpet and replacing the tires, I have also replaced the plugs, wires, and battery.

A lot of the hesitation disappeared with the replacing the plugs and the wires but there is still some. I notice that it runs a lot better after about five minutes of warming up and there is a distinct gas smell. Next on the agenda is replacing the fuel filter.

As for cosmetics, I have spied the center dash piece on ebay for about $30 including shipping. I am hoping to replace the carpet very soon and have OEM carpet front to back. Also I am looking at seat covers for about $30 to $40. Last, stealing from the TJ - Change your Interior thread, I have bought some tan Krylon plastic spray. I plan on doing the dash and the upper part of the doors in tan and the bottom part I am going to cover in black vinyl with some batting underneath.

After that will be installing the stereo and replacing part of the AC. For some reason, the PO ripped out part of the AC. The AC compressor is still there but the other parts have been ripped out.

At some point in the somewhat distant future, I would like to try the enamel Rustoleum paint job trick, (the $50 roll on trick). Anyway, stay tuned.

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
I will stay tuned in for sure :popcorn: Love the interior. Reminds me of every single rig I have ever owned/been in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I saw that interior, it made my stomach cringe. Maybe Im just spoiled with my yj not having any rust. That looked like a nightmare.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I saw that interior, it made my stomach cringe. Maybe Im just spoiled with my yj not having any rust. That looked like a nightmare.
Yep, there is more rust in the interior than on the frame. There is almost no rust at all on the frame. This weekend I am hoping to pull out the fishing line and needle to do a little sewing on the top. This should help keep water out of the interior. If I get the time, I want to start working on the door panels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Deja-Vue . . . Your interior looked pretty close to my 92. Would be surprised what a wire brush, can of Rust-Oleum rusty primer, can of black, couple rattle cans of primer and gloss black can do. Not perfect, but good enough. Trashed all the carpet, pulled out the seats, center consul and went at it. Kept the back seat out, got some really nice rubber "Jeep" mats from the local parts store. Presto . . . Even gat a compliment from a neighbor. Hey, from your pictures, my doors appear to be weathered white like yours. Have tried everything to clean em up, found a wire brush is working the best, but I am sure there must be a better method. Will be getting back to the doors soon, if you find a better way, Please share what you came up with. I want to paint mine as well, but not until I can get them prepped right. Will be watching your progress, Good Luck . . .

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Dano. I did go ahead and paint the doors today.

The doors had plywood on the bottom. Once I was able to get the doors off, I found out why. The PO, or PPO, or PPPO, must have cut a hole in the doors.

I pulled off the doors and cleaned them up for painting. I found an awesome plastic spray at Walmart. It was a clay colored spray paint that is dead on for a Saddle Brown interior. I also bought some Duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray paint in black.

I gave the doors a couple of coats of the Krylon. I also painted the door pulls in the black. I decided to look around and I found that we had some hammered pewter colored spray paint that my wife had used for a previous project. I decided to use that to paint the plywood. Painting the plywood is a temporary solution. My next plan of attack is to cover the plywood with black vinyl. If I am feeling really industrious then I will try and create a pocket.

With paint and daylight running out, (I was running errands today and wasn't able to get started until late afternoon), I only did a little bit of the dash. I will need to pull out my Hayne's manual to figure out how to get the rest of the dash off. I plan on ordering the missing part of the dash next weekend when I get paid, ($30 on ebay including shipping) and cover that with the Krylon.

Here's where I ended today.

Overall, I am pretty happy with today's progress. The only thing that I would do over, (and I will very shortly), is that I would keep the door handles black. Next week I will buy some black Krylon plastic spray and redo the handles.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I just found a excellent looking set of 1997-2006 Jeep Door Panels on Ebay for $4.99.
The right one has a small crack about one inch. For a ten dollar bid(minus shipping), you could probably get them, use vinyl repair on that crack and paint them black. They would look like new. Mopar 1997 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Door Panels Left Right Grey A1 | eBay

Note: Sorry, I think these are for full glass doors. It looks like you have half door panels.

My Yuppie '97 Wrangler

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are for a TJ. That's a great price though that was just a couple of dollars more than the paint.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
There are a lot of Auto Dismantling Shops, that might have a clean pair. In some places, they have a CB hotline, that can check the whole city for parts.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts