Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I just brought my first Jeep Wrangler home from the dealer today and I have to say it is an absolute joy to drive.

Here's a pic of my baby before I left the dealer:

Mod plans:
JK Wrangler 3.5" Duroflex Mid-Arm Suspension System

[URL="http://www.gorancho.com/products/shock-absorbers/rs9000xl-shock-absorber"]http://www.gorancho.com/products/shock-absorbers/rs9000xl-shock-absorber
for a softer ride.[/URL]

Magnaflow 15116 - MagnaFlow Performance "Street Series" Cat Back Exhaust System for 12-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door with 3.6L - Quadratec

Garvin Industries 44072 - Garvin Industries Wilderness Expedition Rack for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Quadratec Q Series Winch with Rugged Ridge Winch Mount Modular XHD Front Bumper for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Quadratec Exclusive JK-KWR - Kicker Factory Replacement Overhead Sound Bar Speaker Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX Navigation AV Receiver & Apple CarPlay with Install Kit for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Tuffy 282-01 - Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Security Enclosure for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Quadratec® Ultimate All Weather Floor Liner Triple Combo for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Rugged Ridge 11540.18 - Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Front Bumper PreRunner Guard in Textured Black for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Synergy Manufacturing Budget Skid Plate System for 12-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Bestop 52583-35 - Bestop® Header Safari Bikini® Top for 10-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

SpiderWebShade JKINI-GRE - SpiderWebShade JKini Top for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Lund International 26410026 - Lund Latitude Rock Rails for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Rugged Ridge 13551.30 - Rugged Ridge Universal Roof Rack Cargo Net - Quadratec

Dirtydog 4X4 J2NN07RCRD - Dirtydog 4X4 Rear Netting for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

I'm so excited to start my build, I'll be starting my upgrades in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow looks like you have some amazing plans! congrats on the new ride. Looks great!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
I had never done one before. Wasn't bad at all. Key is to torque everything properly when done. Then re-check it a day or so later.
IMO it's a great way to get know what's what on your Jeep.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had never done one before. Wasn't bad at all. Key is to torque everything properly when done. Then re-check it a day or so later.
IMO it's a great way to get know what's what on your Jeep.
Don't know where you're at, but there are probably people here that would kick in and help.
St. Louis. Big city, I'm sure there is!

I'm not totally sure what you mean by torquing. Like I know what it means but I have no idea how you dial in a certain amount of ft-lbs of torque if you get what I'm saying

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
Torque wrench Amazon.com: torque wrench

Critical item in anyone's arsenal of tools.

However, If you don't feel comfortable doing the lift yourself there are likely many shops that can get it done.
There's a lot to be said about the peace of mind you get by having a pro do the job.

Whichever route you go it should be awesome when you're done!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Torque wrench Amazon.com: torque wrench

Critical item in anyone's arsenal of tools.

However, If you don't feel comfortable doing the lift yourself there are likely many shops that can get it done.
There's a lot to be said about the peace of mind you get by having a pro do the job.

Whichever route you go it should be awesome when you're done!!! :thumb:
I definitely want to do it myself if possible. I really want to learn how to work on cars, and I figure this is the easiest and cheapest way to start.

Is there any jacks/Jack stands/tool sets you would recommend?

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
You'll need tools:
Torque wrench
Socket set
Jack
Jack stands (don't cheap out here)

And supplies like:
Pb blaster
Locktite

I'm sure that quick list left something out :happyyes:

Bumpers are super easy, my wife was comfortable doing hers, I just doubled checked the torque.

Lift kit isn't bad.
You'll have 8 control arms with 2 bolts each
4 shocks with 2 bolts each up front and 3 each in back
Track bar front and rear, 2 bolts each (with a lot of torque< very important)
Not sure if Metal Cloak come with an exhaust spacer, if not you'll need to get one.

PB blaster is your friend, soak every bolt multiple times in advance. Even when Jeeps are new the bolts are easier to get off when soaked.

My build thread in sig below has some pics of us doing our lift, etc.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'll need tools:
Torque wrench
Socket set
Jack
Jack stands (don't cheap out here)

And supplies like:
Pb blaster
Locktite

I'm sure that quick list left something out :happyyes:

Bumpers are super easy, my wife was comfortable doing hers, I just doubled checked the torque.

Lift kit isn't bad.
You'll have 8 control arms with 2 bolts each
4 shocks with 2 bolts each up front and 3 each in back
Track bar front and rear, 2 bolts each (with a lot of torque< very important)
Not sure if Metal Cloak come with an exhaust spacer, if not you'll need to get one.

PB blaster is your friend, soak every bolt multiple times in advance. Even when Jeeps are new the bolts are easier to get off when soaked.

My build thread in sig below has some pics of us doing our lift, etc.

Good luck!!
The one thing I don't feel comfortable about it bleeding the brakes. Is it as complicated as it sounds?

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
The one thing I don't feel comfortable about it bleeding the brakes. Is it as complicated as it sounds?
I haven't done it yet on the Jeep, @StarBrite has though
Hasn't been a big deal on other vehicles I've done.

·
Super Moderator
14,523 Posts
For some of the larger jobs, check youtube for instructional videos. The Teraflex crew has a real nice channel with all kinds of "how to" in there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm fairly mechanically inclined, I'm hesitant to do a lift myself. I'm unfamiliar with camber/caster adjustment and fixing alignment. That being said, a simple lift kit isn't too pricey to install at a shop.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I haven't done it yet on the Jeep, @StarBrite has though
Hasn't been a big deal on other vehicles I've done.
Hey! I heard you talking about me! :D

Mike ordered one of the brake bleed vacuum kits on Amazon. We've used it a bunch of times now, and it's worked like a champ. Yes, you can do it without, but the vac seems to make it a little cleaner and easier. And with all the guys we've helped with their jeeps, it's definitely been worth the cost. :)

It only takes about ...maybe fifteen minutes or so to do all four. Just make sure you have extra DOT3 brake fluid before you start!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts