Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just received my new Rubicon, I ordered it with the manual transmission (as I do with all my vehicles, and I realized that there is no longer a steering column lock, because of the lack of key cylinder in the column (push button start). This would not appear to be an issue with the automatic because you could never pull it into gear unless the vehicle is running, but with the manual there is nothing stopping someone from disengaging the parking brake and rolling away/ or being towed away with another vehicle. I am a bit reluctant to take my doors off and park it anywhere. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Suggestions for securiy measures?

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
My philosophy is a layered approach. Anti-theft devices just buy time. Ravelco and GPS tracker.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have a manual too. I call it my millennial anti theft device.
If someone really wants to take it, they will find a way. Steering lock or not.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
The JKs didn't have a steering wheel lock either. They have been gone a while.

As Leadnut said, it they want it, they will find a way. Most casual thieves want to be able to drive it away, hence the "Millenial Anti-Theft Device" moniker on the manual transmission. Professional thieves will just come by with a roll back, drag it up and drive it away. My late sister told me of the theft of a car in her neighborhood. The thieves backed a rollback up on the drive, used the winch to pull the garage door off, then dragged the car (auto tran in park) up on the back and drove away before the cops showed up. (A neighbor called them when they first pulled the door off).

If they want it bad enough, they will get it. All the devices just make it harder to steal, not theft proof. Hopefully, you are not in a high theft area.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
True enough with the flat bed tows, very common theft method and quick. I have a cellular GPS tracker, that unless they scan the vehicle with a bug tracker, locate it and remove it, may allow the vehicle to be recovered. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but at least I feel like I’m making an effort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True enough with the flat bed tows, very common theft method and quick. I have a cellular GPS tracker, that unless they scan the vehicle with a bug tracker, locate it and remove it, may allow the vehicle to be recovered. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but at least I feel like I’m making an effort.
I like that idea, what tracker do you use/ any recommendations on a tracker?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The JKs didn't have a steering wheel lock either. They have been gone a while.

As Leadnut said, it they want it, they will find a way. Most casual thieves want to be able to drive it away, hence the "Millenial Anti-Theft Device" moniker on the manual transmission. Professional thieves will just come by with a roll back, drag it up and drive it away. My late sister told me of the theft of a car in her neighborhood. The thieves backed a rollback up on the drive, used the winch to pull the garage door off, then dragged the car (auto tran in park) up on the back and drove away before the cops showed up. (A neighbor called them when they first pulled the door off).

If they want it bad enough, they will get it. All the devices just make it harder to steal, not theft proof. Hopefully, you are not in a high theft area.
good point, maybe I’m over thinking this too much, I think I’ll invest in a dash cam, and gps tracker to put my mind at ease, thank you.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

Put it near the cabin air filter and NO ONE will find it because no one knows the filter even exists, including some new owners.

·
Premium Member
16,896 Posts
It's a non-issue. Random car thefts stopped being an issue worth concern years ago.
There a back story reason why but...

Non-issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Remember only 19% of the population can drive standard shift, so there is that theft deterrent. ;)

Reactions: Ernie N

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
I like that idea, what tracker do you use/ any recommendations on a tracker?
This is something I have researched to an extreme end over a period of several years (I don't even want to say how many hours I have spent on research, phone calls, emails, etc.). I am currently with GPS Insight and very satisfied. This is the 3rd company I have tried. It's a very long story, but essentially the professional fleet management companies have the best products and cellular coverage, but generally don't want to deal with individuals. GPS Insight is an exception, although I called them under the name of my LLC. The consumer ones are a waste of time, the software is crap, and coverage spotty at best.

https://www.gpsinsight.com

I have more money in mods than what I paid for my Jeep. In Arizona there is a limit on the amount of "add-on" equipment and parts that can be covered. The only option for insurance coverage is something like collectors and classic insurance, but that has severe restrictions and was quite a bit more expensive than "normal' insurance. A GPS tracker was well worth the cost for me.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
How easy is the install?
Never installed one my self
Definitely requiers disassembly of the central console
And some drilling to be bolted to the tunnel.
Used several of their products in EU that where sold with installation.
Mostly on BMW vehicles, the only visible part was a keyhole on the side of the console.
We had one attempt, unsuccessful, they tried to cut the lock - failed
Then they managed to cut the shifter but couldn't drive away anyway.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Neither of these will help for someone with a trailer and a winch. Back when I was collecting unwanted cars, I dragged a Neon with 4 locked brakes on my trailer with a $50 Harbor freight hitch winch. Use a Warn Zevon and dragging on a Wrangler would be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Neither of these will help for someone with a trailer and a winch. Back when I was collecting unwanted cars, I dragged a Neon with 4 locked brakes on my trailer with a $50 Harbor freight hitch winch. Use a Warn Zevon and dragging on a Wrangler would be a piece of cake.
So true, I was watching a "repo man" breaking in to a car in the middle of a busy parking. No one was paying attention.
He was not wearing a uniform and his truck wasn't in best shape ether.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts