Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Wrangler. My check engine light came on so I took it to the local jeep dealer. They said the thermostat was stuck open and needs to be replaced. They then quoted me $553.41 to change the thermostat. Sounds excessive to me or is that the going rate?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I did mine myself. The part is like $40. I also bought a burping funnel and had it done in about an hour and a half. I had never changed a thermostat before either. Watched a couple of YouTube videos and went at it.
Here is the video I found most helpful

Sent from somewhere in Missouri

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2016 Wrangler. My check engine light came on so I took it to the local jeep dealer. They said the thermostat was stuck open and needs to be replaced. They then quoted me $553.41 to change the thermostat. Sounds excessive to me or is that the going rate?

Simple job-watch a YouTube video and get the proper coolant. Should take less than 1 hour.

·
Registered
06 TJ SE 2.4L 6spd, 79 CJ5 258ci 4spd, 83 CJ7 258ci auto
1,309 Posts
IF SOMEONE EVER QUOTES ME 500+ DOLLARS FOR A T-STAT CHANGE, SOMEONE'S GETTIN A BEAT DOWN:mad:
Please listen to the above suggestions, don't perpetuate the thievery regardless if you could afford it.

·
Registered
06 TJ SE 2.4L 6spd, 79 CJ5 258ci 4spd, 83 CJ7 258ci auto
1,309 Posts
It seems like in today's culture, over paying is now the new normal, even with other goods and services, I mean Red Robin charges 12-15 dollars for a Burger/Fries meal, gasoline don't get me started, auto repair services-I get it cost a lot to be trained in all the different areas and now the multitude of tools and scan equipment required(been there done that), but simple services should still be available at reasonable prices.
Politics may be banned in most of these topics, but lets face facts, it has almost everything to do with today's hyper-inflation of everything we do and buy today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks everyone! I am 71 years old and have done a lot of vehicle repairs in my day but really did not want to do any more. But taking it to the dealer and paying $554 or doing it myself for under $50 it was a no brainer. Did it in under an hour and it was a lot easier than I expected.
I've got a couple years on you, and I've been working on cars since I was 15, mostly because I couldn't afford to pay someone else. Now I can, but I'll be damned if I'd pay someone over half a grand to change a T-stat for me.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I thought SoCal was expensive but my local dealership quote was about $300 or $350 (I don’t remember). I decided I’ll do it myself. But the thermostat from them is $89.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Wrangler Jk Sahara 2 dr, 3.8l, 4:10, AEV 2.5" DualSport XT lift
39 Posts
What the effing hell?! $500 for a thermostat replacement plus labor?! This is an effing ripoff to a 71 year old man! Thermostats are easy to replace, just follow instructions from haynes manual or watch how its done, the right way. The reason nobody wants to that is the antifreeze are toxic. Thermostats come with the temperature limit, for example, 150°f, 160°f, and up to 200°f. That is for cooling your engine without overheating. Those dealership service people need a major slap to their faces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks everyone! I am 71 years old and have done a lot of vehicle repairs in my day but really did not want to do any more. But taking it to the dealer and paying $554 or doing it myself for under $50 it was a no brainer. Did it in under an hour and it was a lot easier than I expected.
If you were located around me, I'd do it for ya for $80. part costs about $40

·
Registered
580 Posts
Semi related note. I offered to change a thermostat on my daughter friends jeep renegade with the tigershark, multi-air 2.4L whatever you want to call it. because I have changed many thermostats over the years and the $4-500 they were gonna charge her seemed ridiculous. well I regret that decision. has to be the most difficult thermostat to change. what a total PITA. took me about 3-4 hours. have to remove the battery, pcm, cam phaser thingy and still cant reach it. Broke a proprietary fitting, and ripped a hose....all part of another 'assembly' that cost $80 from mopar itself that was on back order. I did some work arounds on that. never again....I will pay a shop...lol. in the pic pointing at the hose I had to replace...it hooks into the thermostat housing along with 3 other hosed and an electrical connection.

on my 3.6....hope I don't have to do it anytime soon but that will be much easier and not worth $554 to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Wrangler Jk Sahara 2 dr, 3.8l, 4:10, AEV 2.5" DualSport XT lift
39 Posts
Semi related note. I offered to change a thermostat on my daughter friends jeep renegade with the tigershark, multi-air 2.4L whatever you want to call it. because I have changed many thermostats over the years and the $4-500 they were gonna charge her seemed ridiculous. well I regret that decision. has to be the most difficult thermostat to change. what a total PITA. took me about 3-4 hours. have to remove the battery, pcm, cam phaser thingy and still cant reach it. Broke a proprietary fitting, and ripped a hose....all part of another 'assembly' that cost $80 from mopar itself that was on back order. I did some work arounds on that. never again....I will pay a shop...lol. in the pic pointing at the hose I had to replace...it hooks into the thermostat housing along with 3 other hosed and an electrical connection.

on my 3.6....hope I don't have to do it anytime soon but that will be much easier and not worth $554 to do.
It is to my belief that thermostats are located near the water pump on the cylinder head on top of the radiator hose and in some vehicles, on the bottom of the radiator hose. Are you saying that the more complex those auto designers put in the engine, the harder it is to do it do it yourself? Like your daughter's friend's Jeep Renegade?

·
Registered
580 Posts
It is to my belief that thermostats are located near the water pump on the cylinder head on top of the radiator hose and in some vehicles, on the bottom of the radiator hose. Are you saying that the more complex those auto designers put in the engine, the harder it is to do it do it yourself? Like your daughter's friend's Jeep Renegade?
That's kinda how it seems. If you get bored go watch a video about changing it on that car. The back bottom bolt took most of the time finding the right combination of swivel, wobble, extention, hand placement, tape wrapping all of it because it needed to be flexible but not swivel/wobble flexible....lol

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Just finished my thermostat change. Thank you for all the tips here (and the YouTube videos). Went pretty smooth. Took me an hour and a half with the running the engine up to temp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts