Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I drive on the interstate my thermostat goes to about 220. Then comes down below 210 when i turn heat on. Then after driving for a while it evens out back to 210. Then when at a stoplight, goes down to below 210. I have 4.0. I have looked for leaks i have none. What do you guys think?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
I dunno, the engine temp will naturally vary slightly even with a good thermostat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its never done this before. its usually stays right on 210. I replaced the radiator about a year ago has been working good. I'll just keep my eye on it.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Thermostat could be starting to stick closed, so I would keep an eye on it. The other thing that I hear can happen (but probably pretty rare in our TJ's) is that water pump fins can wear or corrode, so the pump doesn't move coolant like it's suppose too. But usually when a waterpump goes bad, ya get the typical "weeping".

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/running-little-hot-solved-1352528/

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
How old is the thermostat?
If it's been in there for awhile, consider a new 195° thermostat.
X2, and make sure it's not a fail-safe thermostat. Fail-safe thermostats are well known to fail prematurely in the open position. A Stant Superstat 195 degree model would be a good choice if you can find one, or just a standard Stant if you can't.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am actually hearing a new noise when i hit the gas. hoping it can get me to class today. ill have a long weekend with this weather coming up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts