Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving jeep today. Idles at 210, always has...

Drives at 210...

Yet when driving and I let my foot off of the gas, it's drops, doesn't drop too-too crazy, drops about 180? Then upon accelerating goes back up.

New Thermostat coming in mail, figured it's getting stuck.

It's a 1995 YJ 2.5L. 118k.

Just seeking other thoughts on issue incase thermostat doesn't fix.

The reading does come from dash not after market but never did this before.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I would try your temperature sensor/sending unit as well. They're $10-25 for a decent one. It's in the thermostat housing, so it might be easier to replace it once the coolant is already out as you're doing the thermostat.

Don't forget to squeeze the upper radiator hose and get air out of the system. It will overheat your engine and ruin your coolant.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Do you watch it all the time, or only when you are slowing down?

I would think some fluctuation to be normal.

Gets up to 210 ..... then the thermostat opens and lets in cooler liquid ...... temp drops ...... thermostat closes ........ gets up to 210 ...... then the thermostat opens and lets in cooler liquid ...... temp drops ...... thermostat closes .... and the cycle continues.

I see this temp cycling in all of my properly operating vehicles.

I watched nay sons 4.0 XJ while it idled for temp to get up, and drop when thermostat opened. This is normal. One other thing that could induce a temp drop is turning on the heat.

In fact an old trick if you see it to begin overheat is CRANK UP THE HEAT ...... the heater doesn't do all that much to get rid of heat ...... but it sure can help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you watch it all the time, or only when you are slowing down?

I would think some fluctuation to be normal.

Gets up to 210 ..... then the thermostat opens and lets in cooler liquid ...... temp drops ...... thermostat closes ........ gets up to 210 ...... then the thermostat opens and lets in cooler liquid ...... temp drops ...... thermostat closes .... and the cycle continues.

I see this temp cycling in all of my properly operating vehicles.

I watched nay sons 4.0 XJ while it idled for temp to get up, and drop when thermostat opened. This is normal. One other thing that could induce a temp drop is turning on the heat.

In fact an old trick if you see it to begin overheat is CRANK UP THE HEAT ...... the heater doesn't do all that much to get rid of heat ...... but it sure can help.

Never did it before to me, only happens when driving and foot is off gas.

When coming to a stop, it will lower then go back up to 210 if I sit long enough.

I do watch the gauge closely, always have. Slight movement always happened, but never came off that physical 210 marker, drive, stop, park etc. never in past.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for double post, can't edit...

When I said never came off, that is running of course, always drops when turned off so to my knowledge gauge always worked.

Figured I'd clear that up to avoid any potiential trolls lol

·
Super Moderator
12,931 Posts
If you replace the temp sending unit, get an original from Jeep. About 4X the cost. No sense to spend anything for a sending unit that you can't trust.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts