Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i walk into the shop to take a look at a d44 rear end I bought used. Some lowlife sh... um poophead stole the dang thing. Just as I was getting tools, parts and money together to regear it too. I'm still super angry but mostly really bummed out. It's a huge financial setback for me AND I'm stuck with my stock pos d35.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Bummer. Was it stolen after you brought it home? Or where you purchased it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just exactly what is "The Shop"

·
Registered
598 Posts
Maybe the guy who stole my driveshaft is piecing together a jeep!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
So i walk into the shop to take a look at a d44 rear end I bought used. Some lowlife sh... um poophead stole the dang thing. Just as I was getting tools, parts and money together to regear it too. I'm still super angry but mostly really bummed out. It's a huge financial setback for me AND I'm stuck with my stock pos d35.
A shop you bought it at? Or a shop at your home?

If it was the shop you bought it at, they would be liable. If it was at your home I would think you could file some sort of claim with insurance to get at least part of the money back?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe the guy who stole my driveshaft is piecing together a jeep!!
LMAO probably!! :rofl: he's getting closer to having a whole jeep!

I bought the d44 at a junkyard for a good deal. The shop I had it stored at is just a auto hobby shop on base and they have tools, lift stalls for us to use. And just about everyone and their mother knew that thing was mine. I know most of the guys who hang out there and the employees, all really good people. But this place is a store at your own risk type deal. I was told they had to lock up everything just recently bc some dirtbag(s) went in there and stole other guys' stuff. That person makes the rest of us look bad. But there you go. Lesson learned: trust no one.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Bummer! What with all the Jeep parts thefts lately? I'd turn it in to insurance for sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bummer! What with all the Jeep parts thefts lately? I'd turn it in to insurance for sure.
Wish I could. I tried to get renters insurance but my insurance company won't do it fr people who live in the barracks :facepalm: I'll just have to swallow this loss

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time for an ass beating when you catch em. Did I hear "on base"? Where is he hiding a stolen D44 at?!
It's probably someone off base. People come and go here. Base is only so big, so if it was stored here I'd find out pretty quick bc all the jeepers who live on base look out for each other

·
Banned
613 Posts
Once upon a time when I was serving my 20 years in the Navy, if something personal of yours was stolen while on base, you could submit a claim against the gov for it.

Of course, it had to be investigated by base police, but that's easy to have done....ESPECIALLY if the theft costs the gov.

Look into it and see if it's still a possibility.

Schedule a vist with the base legal office for advise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once upon a time when I was serving my 20 years in the Navy, if something personal of yours was stolen while on base, you could submit a claim against the gov for it.

Of course, it had to be investigated by base police, but that's easy to have done....ESPECIALLY if the theft costs the gov.

That's a good idea. In today's navy I seriously doubt I'll get reimbursed, but its definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You know what they say in the military...gear adrift is a gift :) That sucks man and to make it worse it was probably more than one guy. D44's are pretty heavy. There's all types in the military bro, from honest guys to former and active gang members. I always locked up my trash when I was in.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Maybe in the oldschool Navy they would give a damn. Not in todays fleet though. Unless you know or bl*w somebody, nothing serious will be done. Had it happen in a "secure" storage unit for vehicles during a WESTPAC. The MA's said they routinley patroled the lot to make sure nothing was broken into. Seemed like a bunch of gundecking going on. Report was submitted, investigation was started and stopped, bet the paperwork never left the desk.

·
Banned
613 Posts
You know what they say in the military...gear adrift is a gift :) That sucks man and to make it worse it was probably more than one guy. D44's are pretty heavy. There's all types in the military bro, from honest guys to former and active gang members. I always locked up my trash when I was in.
I remember the 'base hobby shop' days. Until I got my own offbase quarters and built my shop, it was the only place I had to fix/mod my chit....The 'no promises of secure storage' policy was in effect way back then...But once I became a regular there and earned stroke with shop staff, I never had to worry......

LOL, I remember 32dn St Navy base, San Diego back in '74....I had a 70 Boss 429 Mustang and needed to replace the cam and lifters...Our hobby shop consisted of a double row of open sheds with dirt floors and not even a fence....And it was located in largest gravel fleet parking lot I'd ever seen up to that point in my life......I got it done on a Saturday with careful planning and had lots of good help lined up....Cost me lots of beer and pizza afterwards and many rides in the Stang, but we got it done:)

·
Registered
591 Posts
That really pi$$es me off. Stealing from someone serving their country on a military base.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts