Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for rims, a winch and a rear tire holder. my budget is very low so if any one has extra stuff or knows of a good scrap yard in central Indiana it would be a great help. I am also a fabricator/welder so if you have good pictures or know what size material to use for the tire holder that would also be a big help. I don't want to build something that doesn't work or looks silly. As for the rims I have the stock steel rims they are rusted and ugly. the best deal I have found is $89 a rim, that's not bad but I need tires before it snows. My financial advisor said $700 is the limit. The winch how big of a winch do I need to pull myself out of a ditch? I don't want to buy one that will leave me stranded.

95 yj 2.5 stock :nonono:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Looks to me that you have a rar tire carrier on your tailgate. If you are talking about a swing away tire carrier, then you will also need a rear bumper to go with it.

As far as the price on wheels and tires, tirerack.com has some good deals, but if you are working on a $700 budget, good luck with that.

For the winch info, 8000lb is the least i would get.

If i were you and i only had a $700 budget to work with, i would worry about getting a good set of tires, maybe a can of spray paint to paint the wheels for now, and maybe a few driving lessons so that i didnt end up in a ditch and needing a winch? Just sayin...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
For the spare carrier, I like fabing stuff, so I would use square tubing schedule 40 is strong enough and fab a latch at the bottom or even one that I could get to on the tailgate. But in the end it still could be cheaper to fine a used one somewhere and start from there.

Tires/rims, depends on what you want. I finances were and issue, I would just clean and paint the rims I have and find tires. Even keep my eye open for used ones on Craigslist or the local papers.

Winch, same deal, find a used one or some such, but I can rebuild them too if need be. 8000lb minimum though.

Like life was saying, skip the winch for now, if you are careful you shouldnt need one. As a kid we spent plenty of time behind a shovel getting the rig out; but unless you are doing some serious 4X I would think you shouldnt ever need a winch. That and you can get a high lift jack for a lot less, and it would be much more useful. Painted rims and new tires, a high lift jack, straps and a come-along should get you into the $700 limit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well the only way your going to get the tire carrier and bumper that cheap is to build them. I like using 6" channel for the bumper and 1.5 square tube for the tire carrier and make the frame mounts out of 2x2 angle. If you can get the metal for free out of the scrap bin then you need to hit craigslist.org and pray! The rest isn't cheap! Might just want to get new tires and the rims hit with a wire brush and paint them with bed liner makes a big diff in how they look.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If i were you and i only had a $700 budget to work with, i would worry about getting a good set of tires, maybe a can of spray paint to paint the wheels for now, and maybe a few driving lessons so that i didnt end up in a ditch and needing a winch? Just sayin...
HAHAHAHA:banghead:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
THat is a big list for $700.00. I have yet to find any tires worth buying less than $700 so that's out. My advice would be to look on your local Carigslist for the wheels/tires.
There are some decent winches for around $300.00. I got my Mile Marker for less than $300 and have used it very hard, and it has served me well so far. I have had a few other cheap winches, but I like this one the best.
Maybe get some decent smaller allterrain or mud tires until you have a bigger budget, and get the winch first. My sons XJ on 28" Maxxis Mudders will go where my 33's will most of the time. When it doesn't the winch gets him out :thumb:
When you get the bigger tires, you will also need to lift the Jeep as well that is a whole other budget in itself.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
The best advice I can give the OP here is to save, save, save and be prepared to spend more. Sure, you can get the basics for $700. I think you'd be better served by saving $1500 or $2000 and upgrading from the "basics" to more competent components. You'll probably do the upgrades later anyway, so best to spend the money right the first time.

Denis

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I traded my ugly stock rims for Cherokee rims and painted them. Put on a set of tires (I had them already but you can find a set of used tires for cheep). And if you have enough money left you can get a winch. That's my plan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts