Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think it's an absolute shame that manufacturers are allowed to put out so many new high priced vehicles without working turn signals.:whistling:
And apparently cruise control too. Because I always seem to get behind the person on the freeway that cant make up their mind how fast to drive. They slow down, so I try to pass, then they speed up.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a lot of pet peeves. But a top few are:

1. Speed up to pass just to get in front of you to slow down
2. Being in wrong lane so they sit and wait for an opening, backing up traffic
3. Dont watch the frackin lights. Literally approached a light going down a hill. Half way down it turned green, minivan waiting. By the time I reached the light, minivan was still sitting there, not turning left.
4. The drivers who have no idea where they are going and oblivious to traffic around them. Soo they just go at a snails pace until they find a spot to turn into.

I live in the city, so traffic is almost as bad as the way people park. They must plan to park cars directly across from each other so it turns a 2 lane road into 1.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have a lot of pet peeves. But a top few are:

1. Speed up to pass just to get in front of you to slow down
2. Being in wrong lane so they sit and wait for an opening, backing up traffic
3. Dont watch the frackin lights. Literally approached a light going down a hill. Half way down it turned green, minivan waiting. By the time I reached the light, minivan was still sitting there, not turning left.
4. The drivers who have no idea where they are going and oblivious to traffic around them. Soo they just go at a snails pace until they find a spot to turn into.

I live in the city, so traffic is almost as bad as the way people park. They must plan to park cars directly across from each other so it turns a 2 lane road into 1.
I'll add to your #1. "Speed up to pass just to get in front of you to slow down OR TURN!. They can't seem to wait another 15-20 seconds behind you for the turn. They gotta be a moron!

Sent from somewhere in Missouri

·
Registered
387 Posts
When there is a lane closure 1/2 mile ahead and some asshat is going to straddle both lanes. (You know who you are)

If MDOT (MICH DEPT OF TRANSPORTATION) wanted to close the lane at that particular point, there would be a barrel there. If everyone advanced as far as they could and then alternated - life would be better.

Go ahead flame away :firedevil:

Not gonna lie...thats me :D

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
People who suddenly stop, then put on their right turn signal and s l o w l y turn like they're making a career of it..usually swinging out to the left first like they're driving a big rig.
Sounds exactly like what I do to tailgaters, just to piss them off. :bop:Might you be one of those 'TAILGATERS"? I am guessing you can figure out what drives me crazy!!!!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Biggest pet peeve for me is people who don't take their right of way.

No, you're not being "polite" by trying to wave me on when it's your turn. You're backing up people behind you, pissing them off. Just go and get out of the way so that traffic can flow properly.

There was one time when I was turning left across a 2 lane street. The dolt in the inside lane was waving me on while the lane right next to her was flowing by normally so I couldn't go. And people behind her were honking but she wouldn't go. Of course, once everyone behind her passed her, she finally went. /facepalm

That and people who can't figure out how a 4 way stop works. No kidding, I've come up on a 4 way stop with all 3 of the other people already stopped trying to figure out who should go. So I went.

And yeah, people who don't understand the "zipper" merge concept.

·
Registered
731 Posts
"No, you're not being "polite" by trying to wave me on when it's your turn. You're backing up people behind you, pissing them off. Just go and get out of the way so that traffic can flow properly."

Haha, I have a saved dashcam vid somewhere of me yelling at my windshield at an old couple who stopped dead in a rotary (Aka roundabout) to let me in. DON'T STOP JUST GO GO GO!!!

Had one the other day, left-hand red light, a BIG steel hauling semi, a soccer mom SUV and me in line. Semi was straddling right line getting reading to make a big wide turn. The light turns green, semi goes WIDE to make the hard turn,,, yup you guessed it, soccer mom passes him on his left and takes the turn and cuts him off! /facepalm

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
"No, you're not being "polite" by trying to wave me on when it's your turn. You're backing up people behind you, pissing them off. Just go and get out of the way so that traffic can flow properly."

Haha, I have a saved dashcam vid somewhere of me yelling at my windshield at an old couple who stopped dead in a rotary (Aka roundabout) to let me in. DON'T STOP JUST GO GO GO!!!
Yeah, we seem to be getting more and more roundabouts everywhere. Though I am seeing that more people are starting to figure them out finally.

But that reminds me of one other thing that bothers me. People who don't go because the car way down the line might not do what you expect.

In roundabouts, I've seen people stop before entering if there is any car anywhere else in the roundabout and wait for them to do what they're doing before proceeding.

And when I'm coming up on a right hand turn, I have my turn signal on, and the person coming off that road waits for me to actually make the turn before they proceed into the intersection. As much as they would bitch at me for not using my turn signal, apparently they don't understand what to do when I actually do use it.

Yes, I'm signalling my turn. You can feel free to go because I'm telling you what I'm doing by using my turn signal. That's how it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When there is a lane closure 1/2 mile ahead and some asshat is going to straddle both lanes. (You know who you are)

If MDOT (MICH DEPT OF TRANSPORTATION) wanted to close the lane at that particular point, there would be a barrel there. If everyone advanced as far as they could and then alternated - life would be better.

Go ahead flame away :firedevil:

What about the drivers who, when traffic is backed up 1/2 mile ahead of closure and instead of merging 1/2 a mile back with the others, they drive right up to the end? I feel like those drivers are giving the finger to those who have waited their turn 1/2 mile back.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mine are:
1. Pedestrians who don't walk the extra 20ft to crosswalks that have mandatory stops for vehicles. They just walk out in the middle of the street and expect everyone to stop for them.
2. People who pass me just cause they can't see over me only to slow down once they get in front of me.
3. Big Rigs driving in the passing lanes. I get that some guys have tight deadlines and you can cut trip times down going that extra 5 mph. But our highways get really clogged up when theres an aggressive big rig driver trying to pass people hes barely going faster than. Then everyone he just passed scrabbles to pass him and the whole thing starts over.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Bicyclist on the road! Get off the frick'n road and ride in the grass or median. Or hey, maybe a frick'n bike trail!
Bicycle riders have become a real issue around here, especially on the county roads. These idiots think they have all the rights in the world and none of the driving laws or common sense laws apply to them. They pay none of the taxes that make the roads possible such as license, excise tax, fuel tax, etc. If you hit one of them the lawsuits may cost you everything you have to pay for their stupidity. Even my 4wheeler is legal to ride on the roads here but I do have to have a license, registration, and insurance to do so. I can run safely at highway speeds where a bicycle can't but they think I shouldn't be able to ride and they should. What fools.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
What about the drivers who, when traffic is backed up 1/2 mile ahead of closure and instead of merging 1/2 a mile back with the others, they drive right up to the end? I feel like those drivers are giving the finger to those who have waited their turn 1/2 mile back.
You making a choice to merge long before the merge point doesn't in any way mean that everyone else has to do the same. There are two lanes leading up to the merge point. Use both of them until you get to the merge point. Don't merge 1/2 mile back, that just screws things up.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/traffic-lane-zipper-merge.htm

Drivers Who Merge at the Last Minute May Be Annoying, But They're Right
by Jesslyn Shields Nov 4, 2016

If you're old enough to drive, you're old enough to have some thoughts about the best way to merge into highway traffic when your lane is ending or closing due to a wreck or road work. When you see the big, orange "LANE CLOSED IN 1000 FT" sign, you've got a couple of options:

1. Immediately turn on your blinker and wait until somebody in the next lane lets you in.
  2. Just stay in your lane and wait for all the polite people to get out of your way before zooming to the front of the line and merging when the lane closes. Watch as people who merged early rage in your general direction.
To most people, the first option seems more courteous and patient — less selfish. But study upon study proves the upstanding early-mergers among us are just creating a single long, slow line of traffic that's not only frustrating for drivers, it's inefficient because it minimizes the amount of usable road — and it even causes accidents.

What we all should be doing is called the "zipper merge," or Reißverschlusssystem, as the Germans call it. In this system, every car in the lane that's ending drives all the way up to the front of the line and takes turns merging with the other lane of traffic. (From above, it looks a bit like teeth on a zipper coming together.) Because the system uses all the available road space for as long as possible, it cuts congestion by 40 percent. It also reduces crashes because all the traffic is moving at the same rate of speed rather than some cars going very fast while others poke along.

The problem is, of course, our driving habits are baked in pretty deep. It seems pushy and unfair to rush to the front of the line, so we all agree to spend hours in a single, congested line of traffic when there's a perfectly good lane right next to us we're afraid to use because somebody might give us the finger. But some states are shelling out big bucks to actually retrain their drivers to use the zipper merge: Colorado and Minnesota have been working on it for more than a decade, while Washington, Missouri and Kansas have all endorsed the system, and Missouri started its own education campaign in 2016.

Like all well-intentioned systems, though, the effective zipper merge requires that all drivers are on the same page, and when's the last time that happened? We'll see if this efficient, safe merging technique can find a place in our traffic habits, or, as Minnesota Radio's Bob Collins suggests, "The zipper merge is going to be this century's conversion to the metric system in the '70s. Great idea, made perfect sense, and was dead on arrival."

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Bicyclist on the road! Get off the frick'n road and ride in the grass or median. Or hey, maybe a frick'n bike trail!
Bicycle riders have become a real issue around here, especially on the county roads. These idiots think they have all the rights in the world and none of the driving laws or common sense laws apply to them. They pay none of the taxes that make the roads possible such as license, excise tax, fuel tax, etc. If you hit one of them the lawsuits may cost you everything you have to pay for their stupidity. Even my 4wheeler is legal to ride on the roads here but I do have to have a license, registration, and insurance to do so. I can run safely at highway speeds where a bicycle can't but they think I shouldn't be able to ride and they should. What fools.
I ride my bike to work most of the time. Its not legal to ride on the sidewalk so I have to ride on the street. I follow the same laws as motorized vehicles. I also stay as far to the right as I can even though the law says I have a right to the entire lane. You should have no problem safely passing me. Share the road.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 73 Posts