Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I do mostly highway driving.. The infamous slowpoke in the left lane is my biggest pet peeve.

The speed limit is 65. There's a truck in the right lane doing 60. The guy doing 60.1 MPH has to pass the truck. It takes at least 2 miles to do it with everyone backed up behind.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I ride my bike to work most of the time. Its not legal to ride on the sidewalk so I have to ride on the street. I follow the same laws as motorized vehicles. I also stay as far to the right as I can even though the law says I have a right to the entire lane. You should have no problem safely passing me. Share the road.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
You do realize you're the most HATED person on the road, right? They're not honking to rally you on! lol

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
I ride my bike to work most of the time. Its not legal to ride on the sidewalk so I have to ride on the street. I follow the same laws as motorized vehicles. I also stay as far to the right as I can even though the law says I have a right to the entire lane. You should have no problem safely passing me. Share the road.
Exactly. I frequently pedal to work 46 miles RT. I have also done 5 transcontinental rides over the past 23 years and much, much more. When I am riding I try to follow the same rules as if I was driving my car. I stop at all stop lights, stop signs and even signal my turns if there is another vehicle in the area.

I stay far to the right and I will even ride on the shoulder if it is paved. I do not ride on the sidewalk because it is against the law and dangerous to pedestrians.

Anyway, as long as I'm here...one of my gripes is people who do not know that bicycles are classified as vehicles by the Department of Transportation and have the same rights to the road as any other vehicle. I get the occasional one who blasts his horn, even when I'm as far to the right as I can be.

What they do not think about is that my bicycle does absolutely no damage to the road surface, unlike their 2-ton gas guzzler. I still pay personal property taxes on my Jeep, even when it sits in the garage. Thus, I am subsidizing their use of the road. They should be thanking me instead of honking.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You do realize you're the most HATED person on the road, right? They're not honking to rally you on! lol
You do realize I don't give a shit, right? I follow the rules of the road, if they dont like me cuz I ride a bike it's their problem.

And I can't remember the last time I got honked at. Not everyone, but most people around here are pretty considerate of bicyclists. Although, once while riding as close to the curb as I could, I did have one dude purposely narrowly miss me while flipping me off. And he had a left lane he could have been in. Asshats like that are the reason Ohio recently passed a law saying motorists must allow at least three feet between their vehicle and a bicycle when passing.

Have a nice day, I think I'll go for a bike ride.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I take one road on my commute that tends to have a lot of bicycles on it when the weather is good.

By in large, the bicyclists aren't a "problem". It may be a little annoying to be behind them on an uphill stretch when they can't maintain speed but as long as they're following the laws, I am willing to be accommodating. When we're on a stretch with a good shoulder (most of the route) they mostly all move over to that shoulder and I have no problems passing them. And when it gets crowded (bicycles and cars oncoming at the same spot at the same time) I don't mind slowing down a little to not squeeze the bicycles off the road.

It's the arrogant pricks (very small percentage) who have to go out of their way to be a pest that I could do without. The ones who try their hardest to hog as much of the road as possible at all times. The ones who blow through the stop signs. The ones who don't signal their turns. It will suck when they get hit by a car they pull out in front of but I won't be surprised when it happens.

Fortunately, it's exceedingly rare to run into those pricks and the vast majority are good people who follow the rules and do their part to share the road.

And then, of course, there's the kids on bicycles in the neighborhoods. They don't always follow the rules because they haven't been taught well yet. But with all of the kids and pets (not to mention deer) in the neighborhood, I'm already going slowly and they're usually not a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts

Exactly. I frequently pedal to work 46 miles RT. I have also done 5 transcontinental rides over the past 23 years and much, much more. When I am riding I try to follow the same rules as if I was driving my car. I stop at all stop lights, stop signs and even signal my turns if there is another vehicle in the area.

I stay far to the right and I will even ride on the shoulder if it is paved. I do not ride on the sidewalk because it is against the law and dangerous to pedestrians.

Anyway, as long as I'm here...one of my gripes is people who do not know that bicycles are classified as vehicles by the Department of Transportation and have the same rights to the road as any other vehicle. I get the occasional one who blasts his horn, even when I'm as far to the right as I can be.

What they do not think about is that my bicycle does absolutely no damage to the road surface, unlike their 2-ton gas guzzler. I still pay personal property taxes on my Jeep, even when it sits in the garage. Thus, I am subsidizing their use of the road. They should be thanking me instead of honking.
Guys I mentioned in my previous post both obeying the laws and the laws of commonsense. The latter seems to be what is ignored by most. The written laws may well allow for bicycles on our roads but the commonsense laws certainly don't. I didn't go out and play in traffic as a kid and I certainly won't do it now because common sense doesn't allow for it. A bicycle is hard to see when mixed in with motor vehicles and can't keep up with traffic which is an obstruction. So, at least man up when you get hurt while on your bicycle in traffic and don't try to ruin someone elses life with a lawsuit that stems from your own lack of common sense.

Jeff your premise of doing no harm to the roadway is quite twisted since that isn't the issue. And why should anyone thank you for obstructing the flow of traffic and putting their future in jeopardy because of your choices?

I've ridden motorcycles since a few years before I even had a drivers license and love theme dearly but a year or 2 ago I gave them up completely on the highway because common sense dictated there just isn't enough room out there for my bikes and the volume of traffic that now exists. A motorcycle is much more fitting for our highways and susceptible to all the taxation that provides such roads yet to ride one these days means putting your life on the line more than my mind will allow.

In essence, be as careful as you can be but don't blame someone else when bad things happen.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
....at least man up when you get hurt while on your bicycle in traffic and don't try to ruin someone elses life with a lawsuit that stems from your own lack of common sense.

....In essence, be as careful as you can be but don't blame someone else when bad things happen.
So...if I'm riding my bike legally, being careful, obeying the laws, staying as far to the right as possible, wearing hi-viz clothing and a helmet, and even have a flashing red LED light on the back of my bike....(not all of which is required by law, but could be considered as common sense), and someone who's not paying close enough attention to the road hits me and seriously injures me...I should just say...."oh well, shit happens...my fault for not having enough common sense to stay off the road. Its okay that you ruined my life, but I won't mess with yours." Gotcha.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
So...if I'm riding my bike legally, being careful, obeying the laws, staying as far to the right as possible, wearing hi-viz clothing and a helmet, and even have a flashing red LED light on the back of my bike....(not all of which is required by law, but could be considered as common sense), and someone who's not paying close enough attention to the road hits me and seriously injures me...I should just say...."oh well, shit happens...my fault for not having enough common sense to stay off the road. Its okay that you ruined my life, but I won't mess with yours." Gotcha.

There's an old adage that seems to apply here. "Because you can do something doesn't mean you should." This is where the common sense comes into play. When you know you're putting yourself in unnecessary jeopardy and you do it anyway you need to accept at least the lions share of the consequences. This is why I quit riding motorcycles. The risk has overcome the rewards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
There's an old adage that seems to apply here. "Because you can do something doesn't mean you should." This is where the common sense comes into play. When you know you're putting yourself in unnecessary jeopardy and you do it anyway you need to accept at least the lions share of the consequences. This is why I quit riding motorcycles. The risk has overcome the rewards.
We take all kinds of risks every day, that's life. Some of them are necessary, some not, but I refuse to live in fear.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
We take all kinds of risks every day, that's life. Some of them are necessary, some not, but I refuse to live in fear.

Very true, but it isn't about living in fear. It's about maintaining as much personal control as possible by making responsible personal choices by considering the possible actions of others. As young men we were invincible. As we age we learn to see the flaw in our earlier thoughts but that doesn't mean we give up on life altogether. We still do most all the other things we used to but just do them different. As an example I'll still ride motorcycles but only at the track with like minded riders and probably faster than ever.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
People who keep their foot on the brake all the way through their painstakingly slow right turn.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
People who use their windshield wipers on full speed, no matter how light the rain. I find it incredibly stressful!

Unnecessary brake usage, when your car will usually slow down enough just by taking the foot off the gas.

...And basically any Nissan driver on the road. They are all the worst.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
The very fact that there are other people driving around me is super-annoying. :LOL:
Have you ever been driving and see somebody do something really annoying and suddenly have the realization that you have done the same thing? I really enjoyed driving in the 70s when I had the road mostly to myself.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts