Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
1. When merging onto an interstate and the asshat behind me on the on-ramp cuts across the striped lines into the break in traffic I was lining up/timing myself to merge into...then hangs there causing me to have to slow or stop. My last vehicle was a full sized suburban...I would ignore these choads and just keep going into the space anyway.....

2. Punk-ass idiots road racing and weaving thru traffic on the highways...cutting me off way too close especially when I am towing something. (typically Japanese cars with big exhausts)

3. Texters/distracted drivers. It is supposed to be a primary offense in FL now, but have yet to witness any enforcement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you ever been driving and see somebody do something really annoying and suddenly have the realization that you have done the same thing? I really enjoyed driving in the 70s when I had the road mostly to myself.
Some speeding and burnouts were probably my annoyances to other drivers, back then. Been driving since '80, starting in NY, where you had to use turn signals and properly merge, or people would be all to happy to let you know you didn't. I don't recall seeing some of the ignorant and belligerent driving behaviors I see today, young and old alike. Different times I guess. Some drivers are in a self-important hurry.

Don't get me started on bicyclists.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Biking saves me 45-1hr round trip through the city every day. Would be faster if I wasnt stuck behind cars most of the ride. Also own two cars. When I only drove I disnt understand bikes are often faster in the city and didnt like being stuck behind them. Your perspective changes when you start to ride and realize you were only averaging like 15mph in your car anyway withh thr roads so clogged up.

·
Super Moderator
22,440 Posts
One big pet peeve is when people who are on a 2 lane road that has a wide shoulder and who are going to make a right hand turn that slow down 1/2 mile before they are going to turn and then stay in the full lane and come to a stop before they actually make the turn. I guess they think their car is going to tip over if they make the turn at 10 mph..Same with people who follow so close that when the car in front of them is making a left had turn they have to come to a stop instead of passing over to the right to get by.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Biking saves me 45-1hr round trip through the city every day. Would be faster if I wasnt stuck behind cars most of the ride. Also own two cars. When I only drove I disnt understand bikes are often faster in the city and didnt like being stuck behind them. Your perspective changes when you start to ride and realize you were only averaging like 15mph in your car anyway withh thr roads so clogged up.
No, I totally understand and appreciate that. It's the folks that ride and want it both ways; rules of the road and maybe no rules of the road, so they don't have to stop and take their precious foot out of their clips.

I could go on, but it's about cars here, not bicycles. We can start another thread. ; D

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
No, I totally understand and appreciate that. It's the folks that ride and want it both ways; rules of the road and maybe no rules of the road, so they don't have to stop and take their precious foot out of their clips.

I could go on, but it's about cars here, not bicycles. We can start another thread. ; D
I'm also a frequent bike commuter, among other cycling activities. I understand when motorists see cyclists on the road who don't stop for red lights, stop signs, etc. When I'm riding I try to obey traffic laws the same as I would if I was driving my motor vehicle. Heck, I even use arm signals when I turn. I would hope that by doing these things I would gain a bit of respect from other commuters when we both have to share the roads.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So...if I'm riding my bike legally, being careful, obeying the laws, staying as far to the right as possible, wearing hi-viz clothing and a helmet, and even have a flashing red LED light on the back of my bike....(not all of which is required by law, but could be considered as common sense), and someone who's not paying close enough attention to the road hits me and seriously injures me...I should just say...."oh well, shit happens...my fault for not having enough common sense to stay off the road. Its okay that you ruined my life, but I won't mess with yours." Gotcha.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
exactly

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not moving over to allow merging (even with space). But with my F350 CCLB coming to around 20ft long, I just go when Im ready.

Going from far left lane on 3-4 lane highway and cutting all the way across to exit. Wow. Super cool bro.

Dealing with Jeepers. Oh man. Worst drivers out there. Waving and being courteous to others. Makes me sick!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There's an old adage that seems to apply here. "Because you can do something doesn't mean you should." This is where the common sense comes into play. When you know you're putting yourself in unnecessary jeopardy and you do it anyway you need to accept at least the lions share of the consequences. This is why I quit riding motorcycles. The risk has overcome the rewards.
Then you need to accept the risk of being sued for not paying attention and hitting a cyclist. Common sense-if you can't obey and adequately follow the rules of the road, i.e. not running over people and things, you should not be on the road.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm also a frequent bike commuter, among other cycling activities. I understand when motorists see cyclists on the road who don't stop for red lights, stop signs, etc. When I'm riding I try to obey traffic laws the same as I would if I was driving my motor vehicle. Heck, I even use arm signals when I turn. I would hope that by doing these things I would gain a bit of respect from other commuters when we both have to share the roads.
Finally, a cyclist that gets it. THAT is the part about them that is most frustrating. The "we have the same rights" crowd that doesn't stop/signal/yield.
Our city does an annual bike awareness rodeo that leads them around the city. Then the participants do exactly what I mention above. Beyond idiocy.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Then you need to accept the risk of being sued for not paying attention and hitting a cyclist. Common sense-if you can't obey and adequately follow the rules of the road, i.e. not running over people and things, you should not be on the road.

But it's OK to mingle in traffic with much larger vehicles with which you can't maintain operating parameters and put those drivers in jeopardy because it suits your self centered ego??? I don't know what world you live in but it certainly isn't the real one. As I said, I've recently given up riding motorcycles because it isn't worth the risk. And with motorcycles you can even meet and exceed those operating perameters. Some know nothing politician making laws to make something legal without the use of common sense doesn't make anything right or even acceptable.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts