Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Spent my Labor Day at Durhamtown Plantation in Union Point GA (great offroad park btw). Found a hole that was deeper than anticipated. Took about an hour of shoveling and winching to get out. Props to Harbor Freight the winch did just fine completely underwater. Long term will be another test though...

Soooo checklist of things to do now:
-brake pads if they don't dry out (slightly spongy)
-clutch if it doesn't dry out (engages a little late but does not slip once engaged)
-diff fluid front and rear (and extend breathers!)
-clean, clean, clean underneath. have about an hour into it but more to do.

Anything else I should check?

Me Getting Stuck - YouTube

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
No real tips from me. The list you are checking is pretty good. It looks like my RR bumper set up from this view at least. That was a close one. Pop your air cleaner and see if you splashed a little in there. Just short of a new 3.6. Cool video. Did you continue on to play after this or not?

·
Registered
616 Posts
yup, relocate those breathers after you check/ change the oil in diff's, transmission and transfercase.

cool video, I would go slower next time until the hood levels out then punch it.

Why did it take so long to get out? and why the shovel?

·
Registered
268 Posts
By the looks of it, the transfer case and front diff breathers should have been above the water line, unless it got much deeper than what is was where you got stuck. Looks like your breather inlet was above water as well. The only breather that might have been submerged was the rear diff. I would say you got real lucky in that the water wasn't much deeper, as you could have hydrolocked the engine.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
By the looks of it, the transfer case and front diff breathers should have been above the water line, unless it got much deeper than what is was where you got stuck. Looks like your breather inlet was above water as well. The only breather that might have been submerged was the rear diff. I would say you got real lucky in that the water wasn't much deeper, as you could have hydrolocked the engine.
I agree with Rogueleader...looks like you dodged a bullet. Keep an eye on the transfer case, especially. Did you use the clutch while the Jeep was submerged?

Your checklist is fine. The price of having fun...:thumb:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No real tips from me. The list you are checking is pretty good. It looks like my RR bumper set up from this view at least. That was a close one. Pop your air cleaner and see if you splashed a little in there. Just short of a new 3.6. Cool video. Did you continue on to play after this or not?
we had been out for a few hours and were on the downhill side of things and this made a good excuse to head back to camp :happyyes:
yup, relocate those breathers after you check/ change the oil in diff's, transmission and transfercase.

cool video, I would go slower next time until the hood levels out then punch it.

Why did it take so long to get out? and why the shovel?
wheels weren't doing jack, couldn't move at all once the rear end settled down. as i winched I dug away a ton of mud/cludge that was plowing along with the front end to keep the load as low as possible on the winch.
I agree with Rogueleader...looks like you dodged a bullet. Keep an eye on the transfer case, especially. Did you use the clutch while the Jeep was submerged?

Your checklist is fine. The price of having fun...:thumb:
That was the deepest point. I think I am going to change both diffs and the T-case to be safe.

we had checked the depth with sticks (real scientific) before I went, but I suppose i broke through a layer of crud so it was much deeper than anticipated. there was definitely butthole puckering as soon as the nose dropped and I knew it was going to be new engine time for sure :rip:

I did press the clutch once to reverse (panic?) before my brain kicked in and i just left it in neutral until we winched it above water, it got wet for sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update if anyone cares:
changed diff fluid
cleaned brake pads and slides
cleaned underside thoroughly
clutch/flywheel hole was completely clogged with mud. sprayed water in it until it ran clear, took a good 5 minutes.

shift and brakes like normal now.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
How did your diff fluids look when you dumped them. Glad to hear all is well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did your diff fluids look when you dumped them. Glad to hear all is well.
Looked fine, I think changing them wasn't necessary but better to be safe.

Though now it is shifting funny, and the throwout bearing makes some noise. I think I am in for a new clutch. No grinding or slipping just kind of hard to move between gears and engages late.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts