Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a mid 90s, 4cyl, 5 spd wrangler. I've never owned one before, but have always been interested in having one. I would drive it daily (not long distances), and mainly want it for going to the beach and taking my dog places (can't really do that in my GTO).

What things should I be looking out for with these jeeps? Any common problems? Usual areas of rust?

I'd like the 4 cyl because I don't plan on doing any heavy duty activity with the jeep, and would prefer something more efficient. Taking power out of the equation, is it as durable as the 4.0L 6?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
hey and welcome. first off, the 4 cyl gets about 1 mpg better than the 6. so efficiency shouldn't steer you towards it. i've had both motors. the 4 cyl. is a horse, and it is just as durable, and actually the difference in the two is more appreciated on the road, you'd be happier with the six. but thats my opinion

other than that, rust issues. check windshield frame, floor pans, rocker panels, and rear of frame and body mounts. beware of diamond plate covers, they hide sins. if all those are solid you'll be fine.

good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if you want to run 31" tires or bigger get a 6cyl. my 4 has trouble turning the wheels. but its also at 182,000 hard miles. check floors under carpets for rust and rocker pannels like dave said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I ended up picking up a 1998 Wrangler 4 cyl 5 spd. It was very difficult to find a good jeep for a reasonable price, especially with the 4.0L engine. Got a pretty good deal on this one though, excellent condition, 97K miles for $5500.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
congrats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts