Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that think a JL or a JT is over priced, build a 2020 Land Rover Defender. I built one up at $94K and that wasn’t all the options.
Quite a nice vehicle, but definitely out of my price range.
The look is going to take a bit to get used too. The first time I saw it I thought of the Kia Cube.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
People need to stop whining about the price and look at what they are getting.
In 2008 when there weren’t all the bells and whistles the Loaded Sahara was only $35,500cdn. People whined and complained because it didn’t have this or that and didn’t have back up cameras etc etc. Now fast forward to 2019 with all those bells and whistles at loaded Rubicon is $63,000cdn. And now they complain they cost too much. Well my friends, price out a bare bones Sport. You’ll find they are very affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
That Defender is ugly though. They could have kept all the nice tech and the interior, but I was it had gotten a prettier dress.

Quite agree.

The defender USED to look (and act) like a serious contender for off road. Now they're just sissy vehicles. I'd be truly embarrassed to drive one of those things around.

I don't find the JL high priced at all. If I build a JL to the same specs I built my jk it comes out to about $3000 more.... and I get more with that. Better tranny, free spinning front hubs, ALL led lights and a few others.

I have no idea what all the "high Priced" whining is about.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
Now fast forward to 2019 with all those bells and whistles at loaded Rubicon is $63,000cdn. And now they complain they cost too much.
A loaded Rubicon actually runs about $83,500 cdn ($63,000 usd)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts

Actually that's not quite true. If I build a loaded Rubicon on the American site I get a (net) price of about $54,200
On the Canadian site that same build costs (net) $62,690

It's a few thousand more than I paid for my 2017 JK (which is loaded with everything except the auto climate control)

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
I frequently play with the Ford build and price.

It is far too easy to get them super duties in the 70s and higher.

My ideal truck how I want it would actually only be in the 50s, maybe 4-5k more than a Rubicon outfitted how I wanted.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts

My brother just picked up a loaded Rubicon Gladiator list was $69,900. Cdn. So I don’t know how you can come up with $83,000...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted the JL so bad. Then I wanted the JT so bad. Now I want the Defender. That Lottery Ticket better work this time. LOL
If I was in the market for a pickup, the Gladiator Rubicon would be in my possession. If I didn’t have free car washes and airport shuttle for life the JL Rubicon would defiantly be in my possession. I think both are extremely nice vehicles and although expensive, worth the money.
The Defender is not to be ignored. I am sure it is a very capable vehicle. It might not be a rock climber, but I bet it is a bad a** off-roader.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Well then, lets just load up a MB G wagon AMG 63. You can take those well past the 100K.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My problem with Jeep pricing is not the high, but the low end.

I special ordered my MY 2016 2 dr. Sport. Only added premium soft top and AC. Was right at $25,500. Now, you can’t get the JL Sport w/premium softtop. So to move up to the S will push it over $33,000. Yes, get a couple extra things. But don’t really need/want them (tho do appreciate the slightly better gearing).

My guess is they are pushing the higher end models to recoup their redesign. Maybe in another couple years there will be more options at the lower level

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quite agree.

The defender USED to look (and act) like a serious contender for off road. Now they're just sissy vehicles. I'd be truly embarrassed to drive one of those things around.

I don't find the JL high priced at all. If I build a JL to the same specs I built my jk it comes out to about $3000 more.... and I get more with that. Better tranny, free spinning front hubs, ALL led lights and a few others.

I have no idea what all the "high Priced" whining is about.
I still think it has serious off road creds, I just wish it looked the part.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts

My brother just picked up a loaded Rubicon Gladiator list was $69,900. Cdn. So I don’t know how you can come up with $83,000...

My mistake, I was using the current USD/CAD exchange rate of 1.33

·
Registered
177 Posts
From what I read, the 2020 Defender is unibody and has IFS. I lost any interest in further reading after that.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I'm 6'5" ----- I can fit in the new Defender. I can't fit in the JL.
That pisses me off more than the Defender's indy/indy suspension.
And how about the tow capacity of the Defender?
It will ride nicer than a Wrangler and do 95% of what a Wrangler can do. If there was a dealership near me I'd take a serious look at one.

They start at $50K. Makes it competitive.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Any u tube of Defender on the Rubicon?? Does it have a Trail Rated badge.?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts