Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the missus has been pestering me to buy her a car for a while now, she's had enough of the wrangler and hates stick shift. the new patriot limitied with all the extras is priced at ~$29,000 and gives me the option of buying outright. it seems like a great value car but im only going from photos online atm. i dont know to much about the model and can only find one review which is actually for the patriot sport.

ford, toyota, honda etc im looking at ~$39,000 with all the extras
infiniti, mercedes, bmw, landrover im looking at ~$50,000+

so bassicly i get a cheap car and buy it outright or finance a more expensive model.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would look into the Ford Escape... Their limited version is not 39 K... Besides the Wrangler which is unique unto itself, I'd never buy a Chrysler product; scares the hell out of me... I can get you the X-plan discount through Ford.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I dislike the CVT, unless they've made it amazingly better since I had a few as rentals. You basically have to put it in manual mode to get any sort of power. It's a shame, because other than the drivetrain I really like the Patriot for what it is - looks pretty good, nice enough interior, even some fairly impressive off-road options. Basically if you want a crossover that doesn't look and act like one, this is your only affordable choice, the more expensive ones being the Merc GLK and Land Rover LR2.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
What are your requirements for the car to have. Even though its considered a compact I love our 2012 Impreza 5 door. the CVT dosen't suck, its a blast to drive and its cheep. under $25k out the door with heated seats and a few other options. Also 27 mpg in almost pure city driving. I wouldn't touch a compass or patriot/ caliber and I'm a mopar fan boy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have an 09 Pat in the family with 35,000 never been back to the dealer trouble free miles. On a trip from Mich to Texas we got 27 mpg driving between 70 & 80 the whole 3300 miles (round trip)
The 4 wd works good in the winter and the suspension is also good.
The CVT is a proven transmission, people who want to feel the jerk of a shift can buy the manual Patriot.

I wonder if the CVT haters are the same people who can't wait for the 8 speed trans, I bet you won't feel much shifting with that either.

Plus it lacks the jellybean styling.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
The CVT haters are people who have heard the nightmares about $7000 repairs when they die..and they will die soon. Just ask Nissan...they ended up extending warranty to 120k miles on theirs to make owners feel safer.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Last year my wife wanted a new vehicle also. Looked between a compass, patriot, imprezza and Mazda 5.

We shopped for about a month, doing research, etc. In the end we got the 5 door imprezza and she loves it. It's an amazing vehicle with decent room too!

Bryce

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good replies.

We have just bought our first home so we want something affordable. Last thing I want is a car loan! The patriot seemed like great value. You get leather, heated seats, sat nav, sun roof, sound system and 4x4. But reading the replies it seems a what quality. I guess you basically get what you pay for.

We both love our off-road life so something that is more female friendly but has off-road capabilities.

I have never bought a brand new car, always believed in 2nd hand value. That's ok for me, if something goes wrong I fix it myself. But the wife knows nothing so a reliable car is a must. I work away from home so last thing I want is her taking it to a mechanic, "your gonna need a new flux capacitor, that'll set ya back $2500"!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
we bought a new patriot in 2010 for my wife for under 20 grand, though it was only fwd, it did amazing in snow heavy rain etc,.,,my wife got 38mpg,s yes 38 on the highway and 30 in town..we had zero probs. with the cvt. and no other problems at all.,we did just sold it when the odometer hit 40,000 and bought a new focus on the a plan..

just wanted to let you know from a previous owner--

·
Registered
40 Posts
My parents bought a Patriot about a year ago. It is nice for gas mileage and our Michigan weather but it lacks power. You can muster a little more out of it if you throw it in autostick. It would get by on some trails but dont expect too much from it. Street wise it is a very smooth ride and a good vehicle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like the four people that have replied who have actually purchased a patriot say pretty good things about it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
they are gutless and there 4x4 system is a joke. nice car though if thats all your after. huge rust problems though

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I've also heard bad things about Fords. My mom has a 2011 T-Bird and it's been at the mechanic too many times for it's poor design. Every vehicle out there has its pros ad cons. Why may I ask does your wife need all the bells and whistles? I ask because my dad bought a 2012 Honda CRV with leather trim, CD player, ad sunroof for under 30k. Just wondering is all.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
We both love our off-road life so something that is more female friendly but has off-road capabilities.
Have you looked at the V6 RAV4? It strikes me as more "female friendly", but still has a great power/weight ratio, is maneuverable, and i've heard good things about it's snow/mud handling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I test drove the Pat and a Compass last spring they were ok. The cvt didn't bother me but I've been driving quads and ski-doos all my life. What about a Subaru Crosstrek? Just under 25k for one with leather, good mpg, pretty good awd system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can't go wrong with Japanese. I've got a 25yr old Toyota corrola that is bassicly original, Besides suspension, paint and CV's which l did a few weeks ago.

I can't tell you exactly why she wants all the bells and whistles, she just does lol. Happy wife, happy life!
I also agree that buying a new car this day and age should have full electrics, leather, sat nav etc. Anything else is obsolete.

Really if I save another 10 grand I could get something really nice.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My wife had a 2010 and a 2012. I had the tranny in the 2012. DO NOT LIKE THE CVT. Check out the VW Tiguan. Super nice and drives like a dream. I had one before my Jeep.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Potts said:
My wife had a 2010 and a 2012. I had the tranny in the 2012. DO NOT LIKE THE CVT. Check out the VW Tiguan. Super nice and drives like a dream. I had one before my Jeep.
How do they drive off-road?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts