Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a TJ for sale locally I am thinking that it may make a good project for the right price, here is the ad:
"This offer is for a used 1997 Jeep Wrangler. 4 wheel drive. The color is black. Runs and is drive-able but needs work to be a reliable vehicle. There is rust on the frame and it needs brakes and trani work. The 6 cylinder engine is sound. Mileage is 145,000. Clean Title. Comes with tow hitch, hard and soft tops, spare tire."

I asked about the transmission issue, it sounded more like the front transfer case, difficult putting it into 4wd. Also the frame has "extensive rust". I have not seen the TJ in person so I need to go for a ride and see just how extensive the frame rust is.

So with all that said, if a new frame is needed I would be looking at $3K to $4K, not even looking at other cost associated with the drive train. However, with all that said, it does peak my interest if I could get the TJ for around $500. I will keep you updated after I take a look. Any thoughts or suggestions at what other things I should look at or consider?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Heck for $500 you could part it out and make a few bucks if it becomes more than your wanted to deal with. If the frame is seriously rusty, what about everything else? Be honest with yourself on a "project"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, this is strange, right after I put up my post I get an email from the owner that the TJ sold. Oh well, he who hesitates... I will just keep looking for a good candidate for project Wrangler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck for $500 you could part it out and make a few bucks if it becomes more than your wanted to deal with. If the frame is seriously rusty, what about everything else? Be honest with yourself on a "project"
Yeah, that is what I was thinking, but I didn't move fast enough, I may have even paid what they were asking. Back to the hunt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They were asking way too much for that TJ. Like I said in a previous thread:

I paid $1,200 for a one owner 1997 Sahara with frame rust but nearly flawless body and runs great. My TJ was definitely worth saving, and I used frame caps to replace the lower sections on both sides.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's a really good buy, "$1,200 for a one owner 1997 Sahara with frame rust ".
I am now considering the Sahara below. Not sure what I will offer for it, its about a 2 hour drive from my home so I will need to bring a car hauler trailer with me just in case we come to an agreement on the price.

"Car has brand new tires and the interior is in excellent condition. Runs great, engine strong, but it needs some work on the frame and it needs a new throw-out bearing on the clutch. I'm buying new so I am not going to put the money into it at this time, but this is a great car and has been really reliable. Engine starts in the coldest weather. Asking 2700 or best offer, the tires alone are worth 600 dollars, just got them." (183,900 miles)

Any thoughts on a fair price for this Sahara?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts