Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've read most of the stickies, tried to familiarize myself with most of your acronyms and I'm still on the fence.

Always wanted a Jeep but honestly, don't have much use for it. I live and work in DFW and 98% of the time it would be a daily commuter. So, I can live with the poor gas mileage. I can live with a bumpy ride and road noise, but I'm wondering about the 'reported' poor handling at highway speeds.

I grew up in East Texas where if you didn't have 4 wheel drive, you didn't even need to bother going down some roads after a rain. I know how to drive in snow, ice, and mud, but I'm concerned after reading a lot of the threads on this forum about how poor a Jeep is in Ice covered roads and at highway speeds during normal weather conditions.

Are those disclaimers to idiots who think they are somehow in control during Icy weather, or is an actual deficiency for the Jeep? Also, any SUV has less control than a low to ground sports car at highway speeds. Again, is that a general disclaimer, or an actual shortcoming?

If it's general, it's an easy decision for me. Just not sure what is real and what is just general for any vehicle. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know about any poor handling on the highway, my 2014 unlimited freedom handles just fine. I drive expressway to and from work every day. High crosswind does push it a bit but no real problems at all.It handles better than my 2009 Impala did when hitting standing water, the jeep doesn't seem to notice it, the Impala wanted to hydroplane easily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, it sounds like my concerns may be unwarranted and are based off complaints from people who thought they could drive like normal in horrible conditions?

·
Administrator
42,602 Posts
This forum covers all Wrangler models as well as the CJs and Military Jeeps. Given the various models and the various owners, I am sure you will be able to get lots of opinions. Good luck on your research and filtering their responses.

In the mean time, I just like to say . . .

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Click here for helpful tips for newcomers

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Google "snow wrangler" and watch the YouTube videos. The wrangler does fine in the snow, especially with decent tires.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
So, I've read most of the stickies, tried to familiarize myself with most of your acronyms and I'm still on the fence.

Always wanted a Jeep but honestly, don't have much use for it. I live and work in DFW and 98% of the time it would be a daily commuter. So, I can live with the poor gas mileage. I can live with a bumpy ride and road noise, but I'm wondering about the 'reported' poor handling at highway speeds.

I grew up in East Texas where if you didn't have 4 wheel drive, you didn't even need to bother going down some roads after a rain. I know how to drive in snow, ice, and mud, but I'm concerned after reading a lot of the threads on this forum about how poor a Jeep is in Ice covered roads and at highway speeds during normal weather conditions.

Are those disclaimers to idiots who think they are somehow in control during Icy weather, or is an actual deficiency for the Jeep? Also, any SUV has less control than a low to ground sports car at highway speeds. Again, is that a general disclaimer, or an actual shortcoming?

If it's general, it's an easy decision for me. Just not sure what is real and what is just general for any vehicle. Thanks for the help.
honestly the majority of complaints with winter driving characteristics come from those driving older tj's and cj's... the jk's have a longer and wider wheel base and when used with good tires are very comfortable on the highways in wintery conditions. I mention tires because I find this forum has alot of people who either have never driven on icy highways or have never tried using proper tires for the given conditions, MANY people try to run mud terrain tires in winter, and well as alot of people know this is not a good idea. Get good all season tires (duratracs top the list for an all season compromise tire) or run dedicated snow tires in the winter and I think you'll be very happy. I have zero complaints with my 2 door on duratracs for the past two winters in western Alberta.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm 35. I've been driving suv's since for the last 19 years(ok 15 didn't have a car while in the military stationed oversees) I got my first Wrangler 5 months ago after wanting one since I was 16. I will never own a different vehicle! I absolutely love it! It drives fine on the highway. Drives great in snow and mud. And I didn't have any problems driving it on ice this winter either... But that's because I understand 4wd on ice(snow,mud etc...) doesn't mean I can drive like it's dry ground.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was pretty sure a lot of the threads about winter driving and jeeps was based on people who didn't know how to drive on ice, but I wanted to make sure. Right now, I have a Rav4, and can go through just about anything this metroplex has to offer.

Actually, I prefer when it is really bad instead or sorta bad. Less idiots on the road.

·
Registered
396 Posts
People who drive rear wheel drive vehicles for the first time (especially those coming from AWD vehicles), nearly ALWAYS screw up driving a Jeep. They either see some rain and slam the Jeep into 4WD, or they figure "hey, I'm in a Jeep. I'll do 100 MPH down this icy highway..."

This was my first winter with the Jeep and I took it out under various conditions and tested how it drove (in a controlled environment, of course). I had been driving a Toyota FJ the previous 7 years but still the Jeep is a different beast. I would suggest that those who have never had Jeep experience before try to figure out how the vehicle drives under different conditions prior to flooring it out of your driveway the first time you see a few inches of snow.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The traction control that comes on wranglers will make most driving in RWD a cake. As far as using 4wd when it rains in a jk, as long as you're on a paved road that's just nonsense. If you're on a dirt road the jk will do it better than any truck due to the much better weight distribution. Either way a jk is more than capable for anything Texas has to offer short of towing capacity. What it doesn't do perfectly can always be improved with aftermarket parts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The new Jeep is good on snow and ice. Tires make a difference, and if you're really concerned, you can get a Sahara with rear limited slip. Now you're looking at one of the best non-AWD vehicles for in-climate street driving, but hey, you live in Texas. You'll be fine with about anything Jeep has to offer. Highway handles great! We do 80 mph w/o breaking a sweat. Crosswinds can be a problem, or at least an annoyance, but not a danger.

·
Registered
661 Posts
a TJ(2006 and older) with a poor lift and mud tires will be hard to drive on the highway. I new JK or JKU with a stock setup will drive as good as any modern truck on the highway, and as good as some cars.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I think part of the problem is actually the over confidence that comes with driving the jeep. It actually does such a remarkable job in terrible conditions that if you aren't careful you can get over confident and you push it further than you should (e.g. you drive down a snowy/icy road at a speed that is in excess of the posted speed limit)... that's when you find out that even the jeep can't overcome the laws of physics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
watch out! the newer jeeps has a problem with the engine...mine was in the shop for over 2 mo. they had to replace the heads,,,both of them and one of those had to be replaced again. my check engine light came on/ I have a 2012 wrangler with 26000 mi. they said that they have had quite a few of them in for that problem.. so do your home work

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
watch out! the newer jeeps has a problem with the engine...mine was in the shop for over 2 mo. they had to replace the heads,,,both of them and one of those had to be replaced again. my check engine light came on/ I have a 2012 wrangler with 26000 mi. they said that they have had quite a few of them in for that problem.. so do your home work
The problem was corrected in 2013.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if the problem was corrected in 2013 why was it that that one of the heads that they put on was bad and the check enging light came back on again before it left the dealer and they had to replace it again,,, they should have had the new and updated ones

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Probably the only time you're going to find poor handling on the JK's is either #1 worn suspension parts which can happen to ANY vehicle, or #2 an improperly installed or "incomplete" lift. What I mean by that is an alignment wasn't performed and the caster adjustment is way off, or caster couldn't be adjusted at all due to no adjustable upper and/or lower control arms added to the front. Low caster can cause "flighty" feeling in the steering at speed. FWIW I came from a 350Z sports car that I drove hard and I think my JKU handles just fine on whatever road/speed I drive it at.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts