Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to run without the padding on my roll bar, and paint it flat black. It looks to be more daunting then I imagined..I have a 2 door 2013 JK.

I wanted to compile peoples experience, and ask some questions in one place. This could help people in the future wanting to paint their roll cage, as I couldn't really find another thread on the topic!

Ideally, I would love to be able to remove it all, then sand it and paint the pieces individually.

Okay so first question:

Is the roll cage removable from the Jeep without any cutting or crazy modifications? (anything more than just removing the plastic in the tub, some bolts and nuts? I know it comes apart in the front and around the speaker bar, but the rear looks tough.

I saw some posts about the rear seatbelt removal, so I think I have a handle on that. Apparently the bolts have some threadlocker on them so removing and reinstalling them is a giant PITA.

As far as the paint...What are some opinions on whats best for the roll cage?

I used Dupli-color perfect match on the headlight rims and wasn't very impressed..easily chipped and was a little hard after it dried.

This time around I was thinking of starting with the Rustoleum grey self etching primer, and then a few coats of the Rustoleum enamel flat black.

Any thoughts, tips, advice, experience, 2 cents welcome! I will post pics as this project progresses in the coming weeks. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just a thought - i was once young and wild driving in my old CJ7 with some friends, there was a development going in - huge place and only roads just laid, in one area the road had tall banks on each side so up we went turned around gassed it down the one side across the road and up the other jumping i don't know how high - my buddy and i up front are hooting and hollering huge smiles, the guy in the back quiet/dazed/huge red mark across forehead - no seatbelt and he took it on the head pretty hard against roll bar and it was padded - it might have killed him if it weren't padded! BTW i broke both front shocks mounts jumping like that on 35s. Padding=GOOD

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha I totally get that, a lot of people on here have done it and j would be putting even stronger padding pieces over it in the front. I don't ever have passengers in the back so I'm not too concerned about it! Thank you though that is a great point

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Without padding the bars look pretty silly. They are more narrow at the back than the front. I broke a bunch of clips and foam- only to put it all back in.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the way it looks, I've seen other people without it... Man I figured there would be a bigger response, I guess not that many people do it after all:(

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Switch to a genright cage and it could look sweet? My bolt in rockhard parts aren't covered, but as long as you're always wearing a seatbelt which you should be, you'd have a hard time hitting your head on the bars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts