Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything in particular I should look at when buying a used JK?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought an 07 last weekend with 36k miles, it did not have the equipment- fog lights, side steps, etc., but I did get a hard top on mine. Paid $2k more that the asking price on this one. Seems like a killer deal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, I'm going to make sure to ask for the CARFAX as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would also highly recommend a Carfax report even if you have to pay for it your self (VIN no. is in the ad). A lot of dealers are selling former rentals that they have purchased at auction.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called the dealer and got some more info on it...

It spent 2 years as a rental car in Hawaii before they got it (not sure how it made the trip across the Pacific)

No warranty (expired 1/24/10).

Clean CARFAX, they are e-mailing me a copy tomorrow. I am also going to ask and see if they can send over the build sheet as well.

They want $1000 as a deposit on it to hold it as my work schedule prohibits me from leaving earlier. However, I bought some refundable plane tickets from southwest for next Friday to go check it out. If they sell it before then, I find a different Wrangler to buy and get my ticket money back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
dadunkindude said:
Called the dealer and got some more info on it...

It spent 2 years as a rental car in Hawaii before they got it (not sure how it made the trip across the Pacific)

No warranty (expired 1/24/10).

Clean CARFAX, they are e-mailing me a copy tomorrow. I am also going to ask and see if they can send over the build sheet as well.

They want $1000 as a deposit on it to hold it as my work schedule prohibits me from leaving earlier. However, I bought some refundable plane tickets from southwest for next Friday to go check it out. If they sell it before then, I find a different Wrangler to buy and get my ticket money back.
Rental car... All that needs to be said in my opinion. Man if I ever had a jeep as a rental car...

·
Registered
38 Posts
They ship the rental vehicles from Hawaii back to the states where they are then put up for auction along with all the other retired rental vehicles. Take the rest of this advice FWIW since it's costing you nothing.

Unless you can get the dealer to give you a comprehensive 12mth/12,000 mile warranty, please stay away from a former rental, particularly a Jeep. Just think about why some one would rent a Jeep and how they may have treated it. A Carfax report will not necessarily indicate all repairs that may have been done by a rental company.

What ever you decide to do I really hope it works out well for you.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
The main thing I would worry about with a rental from Hawaii is that it was probably ran on the sand. That is were JK's have a little issue over transmission overheating. Sounds like a great deal but if you really want it then make sure you have a independent shop inspect it an get them to warranty that it has no transmission problem

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My folks live over where the vehicle is located, so I had them do some advance recon today. We are going to have an independent mech take a look at it, and I've included the photographic results of today's recon mission.

Wrangler pictures by dadunkindude - Photobucket

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Couple things to check. If it had a transmission overheat from driving on sand check the trans fluid to make sure it looks clean and not burnt. Also the axle looked like it has been through some water. There is risk of water getting into the axle through its breathing tube, If you buy it I would change all fluids, just in case. Might try and get the dealer to do it as a deal on buying it. Just remind them it is a rental and you just want to make sure. Repeated deep water runs can get in axles, transfer case, and transmission through the breather tubes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's always something...

Well the results from the 3rd party inspection are in. Even though we explicitly told the dealership "don't move it, the inspector wants to cold start it," they decided that it would be a good idea to take it down and fill it up with gas before the inspector came. :banghead: :bottom:

2 major issues came up with the inspection. The first is that he rated the Jeep as "heavy" for underbody corrosion; no surprise really since it came from Hawaii. The second is that when he plugged in the OBD scanner into the computer to check for codes, no codes came back. NBD really, since normally that means that everything is good. However, the problem was that no history came back either. I mean absolutely nothing, and the dealer showed that no maintenance records existed or they couldn't retrieve them out of thier database either.

Based on those 2 findings, the latter especially, at this point I'm seriously considering retreating away from this one and waiting to find another one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts