Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a metalcloak bumper. The 1401 version https://metalcloak.com/frame-built-bumper-1401-jk-wrangler.html

Had a few questions.

1. I know I need to relocate the vacuum pump. Should I just get the metalcloak kit or is there another that is better or of better value in some way?

2. I have a Rubicon and it's not clear to me if I have to buy the sway bar flip bolt. Is this only for ground clearance or is it for bumper/winch clearance?

3. Anything else I'll need or need to consider before purchase?

4. Anyone know if the 24/7 free shipping over $100 is a permanent change or if it's just for the holidays?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a metalcloak bumper. The 1401 version https://metalcloak.com/frame-built-bumper-1401-jk-wrangler.html

Had a few questions.

1. I know I need to relocate the vacuum pump. Should I just get the metalcloak kit or is there another that is better or of better value in some way?

2. I have a Rubicon and it's not clear to me if I have to buy the sway bar flip bolt. Is this only for ground clearance or is it for bumper/winch clearance?

4. Anyone know if the 24/7 free shipping over $100 is a permanent change or if it's just for the holidays?

Free shipping is a new thing for the last 5 months or so. It's permanent.

Their new promotion is 5-10% off. (note, their prices went up a little to compensate for the baked in shipping)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used the MC kit to relocate the pump, was pretty straightforward. Worth the money IMO.

The sway flip shouldn't be required for the bumper, just to get the sway motor up and out of the way.

If you are doing a winch, it bolts into the bumper BEFORE you have completely installed the bumper.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the MC kit to relocate the pump, was pretty straightforward. Worth the money IMO.

The sway flip shouldn't be required for the bumper, just to get the sway motor up and out of the way.

If you are doing a winch, it bolts into the bumper BEFORE you have completely installed the bumper.
Thanks for the info. So installing a winch at a later time would require bumper removal. Hmm might just have to get a winch at the same time.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Had a few questions.

1) If you do get the MC kit, make sure you consider if you'll ever add a sPod or similar switch kit. They have two different kits, one for without the sPod and one for with the sPod. I'm having to buy a second kit because I am installing a switch kit (Apollointech) and need to move the vacuum pump again.

2) I have a 2015 Rubicon and it required me to flip the sway bar thingy.

3) Good point about mounting the winch. It doesn't require complete disassembly of the bumper (just the modular plates) and really isn't hard to do if you don't have the funds for the winch now.

4) Yes, it appears to be permanent. They made an announcement several months back about how they were doing this permanently as opposed to specific sales.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) If you do get the MC kit, make sure you consider if you'll ever add a sPod or similar switch kit. They have two different kits, one for without the sPod and one for with the sPod. I'm having to buy a second kit because I am installing a switch kit (Apollointech) and need to move the vacuum pump again.

2) I have a 2015 Rubicon and it required me to flip the sway bar thingy.

3) Good point about mounting the winch. It doesn't require complete disassembly of the bumper (just the modular plates) and really isn't hard to do if you don't have the funds for the winch now.

4) Yes, it appears to be permanent. They made an announcement several months back about how they were doing this permanently as opposed to specific sales.
Great info. Def need to put some thought into the spod bracket.

Reactions: proth0303
1 - 6 of 6 Posts