Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on where I can find a fairly reliable and fair priced 4.0l for my 97 Tj sport? Thanks fellow Jeepers!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
150K? That engine is just getting warmed up at 100K!! Just have it refreshed and it will run as good as any new, $3-4,000 engine you could throw in there. One of the best stock engines ever built. Think about it before you go dumping a bunch of money into something you may regret.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Why? is there a problem with your engine? My 97 4.0 has 190,000 miles & uses no oil & runs great,A properly maintained 4.0 can last a very long time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Those 4.0 engines have been known to reach 250,000 without a major rebuild. If you keep up proper maintenance, you should be fine until then. Maybe if you want to look up engine choices...I.e. More power, diesel, HEMI whatever...and start saving now you could put in something awesome when yours finally goes.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I replaced my 4.0 at around 130,000 miles. I put number 4 piston through the side of the block. Got an ATK long block engine for around $1,700.00. Has over 30,000 on it now and running great. As everyone else has said though the 4.0 I6 should last with proper care. I would say if your engine is running well save your money. MHO. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
The 4.0 is basically bulletproof. 150K miles isn't much for that engine and if you feel that you are missing valuable horsepower, just do a minor rebuild.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great to hear this since my 4.0L has 142,000 miles on it. Only thing I notice is anti-freeze level goes down very slowly................ every several thousand miles need to add coolant.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Any suggestions on where I can find a fairly reliable and fair priced 4.0l for my 97 Tj sport? Thanks fellow Jeepers!
Like said above, is there a problem? 150k does not mean that it needs to be replaced. For that matter, a rebuild is cheaper than a new engine.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
figure out where it is going as if a hairline head crack (know issue for 2000 early 2001 4.0 prompting head redesign "TUPY" heads were the fix) coolant may get into oil making it lose lubrication ability leading to damage to engine bearings

So if loosing coolant look at oil in bottom of oil pan with oil change and watch for any rise in oil level on dip stick

Of course many other less serious ways to have a loss of coolant

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Yep unless it's giving big problems, I wouldn't be thinking about replacing it... 150k miles is nothing for the 4.0L engine. Mine had 191k on it when that TJ was stolen & the engine was still purring like the day when I bought it brand-new.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Perhaps you could provide some details on the specifics of "engine refreshment." Sounds like something that might result from a merger of Jiffy Lube and Starbucks.
Well, let's see...he could throw some chrome on it...maybe get some of those colored hose braids, you know...stuff like 'dat!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm at 280,000 with no major issues. I've replaced about every engine component outside the block and heads several times (3-4 Water pumps, 2-3 Alternators, etc.). But the engine still runs strong. Just had a major overhaul done to the Jeep, and other than new seals and and fluids, the engine needed nothing. Run it until it dies.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
A new cylinder head will restore some the lost efficiency of the motor and will cost you around $500-$600

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys! I'm a first time jeep owner. Bought this bad boy used off a older lady who just didn't use it much anymore. I absolutely love it! Problem is, it has a pretty hard knock. A mech diagnosed it with bad bearings in 2 cylinders. He advised me to run diesel oil through it until I replace the engine. From the sound of it, he doesn't think it'll last much longer in this condition. Now, the jeep is only 2 months old to me and from the get go, the oil pressure has shown low once warmed up. It didn't start knocking until I took it on its first crawl. Replaced the oil, added diesel and it's gone down a ill bit. I'm also thinking of changing the oil pump, kinda my last ditch effort. I plan on taking this bad boy way out there and don't want to run the risk of getting stranded. I hate to shell out all that $$$ but I've been saving for over 5 years for a jeep and am in Love with this one. I don't know much about mechanical work, so I'm at a huge disadvantage here. Any thoughts would help. THANKS!!!! SEMPER FI!

·
Registered
207 Posts
You're a Marine....just hit it with a hammer. Problem Solved.

:)

If you are getting knock at all times, then that is definitely a bad sign. Have you compression tested?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kane, if it was a Gvt. Issued humvee, I woulda taken the pioneer gear to it. I know that woulda fixed it. Prob with the 1st Civ Div is that it doesn't work that way out here. Gotta be more sensitive then that.
I haven't gotten it pressure tested, first time I've heard of that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Kane, if it was a Gvt. Issued humvee, I woulda taken the pioneer gear to it. I know that woulda fixed it. Prob with the 1st Civ Div is that it doesn't work that way out here. Gotta be more sensitive then that.
I haven't gotten it pressure tested, first time I've heard of that.
Bad valves or other serious engine problems will usually show up as a loss of compression. A compression test will likely tell you for sure if your engine is toast. Take it from an old Army Master Diver;)

Auto zone and the like sell them pretty cheap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts