Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy is bringing it over Saturday Morning for me to check it out, here's the details he posted. The jeep looks to be in pretty good shape cosmetically from the photos, just wanted some opinions on the price and options he has on it. I'm currently attempting to sell my lifted Tacoma and go the Jeep route to get rid of my payment and to have a fun car while living in San Diego. Any thoughts on things i should check on and such that a normal guy might not think of are appreciated. Thanks!

Link (don't go steal it from me if it's a good deal please!): 99 Jeep Wrangler SE
1999 Jeep Wrangler - Forest Green with a 3" lift, Rancho suspension, and 33" tires. This is a great ride with all the bells and whistles including a bikini top, hard top w/ rear defrost and wiper, A/C, high-lift jack, sound bar, power steering, ABS brakes, dual airbags. This Jeep is in great shape and looks sharp. New Firestone tires that ride and look great. The engine is re-built with less than 2,000 miles and comes with a three year warranty. 114,000 total miles. Manual transmission.

Appreciate any input. I'm stoked to get a wrangler soon! The tacoma has been great but i just can't take the 500 a month payment and i've already modded it as much as i can while keeping it relatively reasonable looking :rolleyes:
-Matt

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is a great deal! I got my Jeep, 2001 Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5 speed manual 6cyl for $7, completely stock:( with 187,000 miles on it. I wish I could have gotten the one you're looking at!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check the frame thoroughly for rust. Get under there with a screwdriver and poke hard! That's one of the biggest things and other than that just check the standard stuff. As far as price that seems a little high to me, especially for an se (don't get me wrong I love my se but I only paid $4000 for my 98 with 101k). Also, I'd personally go for something stock if possible, that way you know things are done right. For example, this se with 33s doesn't specify the rear axle, which is likely the Dana 35, and most people would recommend swapping it out for a d44 or Ford 8.8 once reaching that size. Also, stock gears on an se are 4.10s, and if it hasn't been re-geared to 4.56s as most would recommend, then you'll be dissapointed with performance. So overall, I'd say pass on it and keep looking for a better deal that's stock. Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a great deal! I got my Jeep, 2001 Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5 speed manual 6cyl for $7, completely stock:( with 187,000 miles on it. I wish I could have gotten the one you're looking at!
Thanks for the input! I'm not planning on paying a full $9k for this one at all. Hopefully it works out and they'll come down on the price something decent.

Check the frame thoroughly for rust. Get under there with a screwdriver and poke hard! That's one of the biggest things and other than that just check the standard stuff. As far as price that seems a little high to me, especially for an se (don't get me wrong I love my se but I only paid $4000 for my 98 with 101k). Also, I'd personally go for something stock if possible, that way you know things are done right. For example, this se with 33s doesn't specify the rear axle, which is likely the Dana 35, and most people would recommend swapping it out for a d44 or Ford 8.8 once reaching that size. Also, stock gears on an se are 4.10s, and if it hasn't been re-geared to 4.56s as most would recommend, then you'll be dissapointed with performance. So overall, I'd say pass on it and keep looking for a better deal that's stock. Good luck!
I've been looking for a stock one but had little luck over the last few months. I'd definitely prefer one that wasn't touched yet but seems like most everyone messes with them in some way. I like to do it all myself so likely whatever i get, lifted or stock, will get redone within a year by me. I agree the 9k is a bit high, i'm not seeing more than 7500 really on it. Thanks for the info on the gearing i was wondering about that. I rarely will be using it at first since i drive my motorcycle everywhere or at least 95% of the time (SD doesnt get much rain thank goodness). Once i dump the tacoma and buy something like this, i'll sell off my extra parts i modded on the tacoma and have about 1-2k in jeep upgrade money i'm sure i'll blow through quickly. I'll take your advice and i'm not really in a HUGE rush although if the tacoma sells this week which it might, then i may need a car sooner rather than later...

Thanks for the input fellas! More is always welcome!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The price seems high but idk might be normal.in.area. i got my 05 lj 99000 for same price.
yea seems people in San Diego get a premium for them since it's always topless weather here. gonna see what i can do though. hopefully the price is negotiable, otherwise I'm always happy to test drive someone else's wrangler :dance:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gov875 said:
Thanks for the input! I'm not planning on paying a full $9k for this one at all. Hopefully it works out and they'll come down on the price something decent.

I've been looking for a stock one but had little luck over the last few months. I'd definitely prefer one that wasn't touched yet but seems like most everyone messes with them in some way. I like to do it all myself so likely whatever i get, lifted or stock, will get redone within a year by me. I agree the 9k is a bit high, i'm not seeing more than 7500 really on it. Thanks for the info on the gearing i was wondering about that. I rarely will be using it at first since i drive my motorcycle everywhere or at least 95% of the time (SD doesnt get much rain thank goodness). Once i dump the tacoma and buy something like this, i'll sell off my extra parts i modded on the tacoma and have about 1-2k in jeep upgrade money i'm sure i'll blow through quickly. I'll take your advice and i'm not really in a HUGE rush although if the tacoma sells this week which it might, then i may need a car sooner rather than later...

Thanks for the input fellas! More is always welcome!!
Either way is still a better deal that what I got. Mine is completely stock, high miles, and rust... Replaced the front passengers side floor and now to do behind the seat. The rust is pretty bad in it. In my opinion, spending $8 on mine isn't worth it but then once I drive it again, I fall in love. Luckily I've gotten a 6 month warranty because my check engine light came on and it was an emissions test saying I needed a new pump because a valve in my gas tank was stuck. My parking brake is completely seized. But "fixed" now. With taxes and warranty, in the end I'm paying close to $9K. Here's a picture. Just of my Jeep itself. Not a mud contest lol :)

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CamoJeepGirl said:
Either way is still a better deal that what I got. Mine is completely stock, high miles, and rust... Replaced the front passengers side floor and now to do behind the seat. The rust is pretty bad in it. In my opinion, spending $8 on mine isn't worth it but then once I drive it again, I fall in love. Luckily I've gotten a 6 month warranty because my check engine light came on and it was an emissions test saying I needed a new pump because a valve in my gas tank was stuck. My parking brake is completely seized. But "fixed" now. With taxes and warranty, in the end I'm paying close to $9K. Here's a picture. Just of my Jeep itself. Not a mud contest lol :)
Haha fair point. Hopefully I can get it for less and it won't need anything like floors replaced!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I say its a tad high. Maybe 7 at the most! A high lift jack and tires do not warrant much. I would only pay 7 maybe because of the engine rebuild. I agree with going stock, one of the best things about Jeeps are being able to customize to your liking, keep that in mind!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Little steep In my opinion for an SE but all in all it's about ur preferences and what ur gonna be using it for. I bought my 2000 Sahara with 110,000 for 7100 bone stock( with the exception of 31" BFF ATs)(I'm in south louisiana).

Bottom line if u buy this one or another one u will be HOOKED no matter what!

There's 10k mods u will do and 10k more u will wanna do, trust me!

Jeeps are fun vehicles/toys so if ur not in any hurry think down the line and make sure ur buy is right for what you want and will use it for.

·
Registered
619 Posts
hmm, if i ever sell my jeep, i should list out west? i got the best offer & sold my last TJ to a guy in OK.

Jeep prices seem to fluctuate around here. seems like one minute they are selling for high prices. then other times, they get crazy low (usually when i'm trying to sell one of mine). i bought my TJ in VA & got it for 9500. 99 modded with only 41k miles. (i know i got a deal of the century on mine).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I say its a tad high. Maybe 7 at the most! A high lift jack and tires do not warrant much. I would only pay 7 maybe because of the engine rebuild. I agree with going stock, one of the best things about Jeeps are being able to customize to your liking, keep that in mind!
Yea i already have a hi lift jack so that's not really anything i think adds value to it and the lift i'm sure was only a few hundred bucks whenever it was put on so that's long since deteriorated away in value. I'll still keep an eye out for a stock one... i had one for $5k with the 4 cyl and only 82k on it which was a decent deal but it had a noise i couldnt figure out and the guy didn't have the title yet. Might have to get back in touch with him...

The lift might ride rough. There are some that are different in.all jeeps.
Yea, not so sure about the rancho lift, was going to see tomorrow morning. I don't need a crazy lift on my ride but i want it to be moderately comfortable since i'm probably 70/30 stree/off road driving at best, worst would be 90/10, depends how much free time i'm having haha

I agree with going stock, one of the best things about Jeeps are being able to customize to your liking
agree. difficult to find but i'm still trying! Thanks for the input!

Little steep In my opinion for an SE but all in all it's about ur preferences and what ur gonna be using it for. I bought my 2000 Sahara with 110,000 for 7100 bone stock( with the exception of 31" BFF ATs)(I'm in south louisiana).

Bottom line if u buy this one or another one u will be HOOKED no matter what!

There's 10k mods u will do and 10k more u will wanna do, trust me!

Jeeps are fun vehicles/toys so if ur not in any hurry think down the line and make sure ur buy is right for what you want and will use it for.
Hmmmm that's a good price. If this guy drops to 7k i'll be stunned but also intrigued... we'll see what happens. I have the mod bug like crazy for my tacoma, sad to see it go after all the work i put into it actually, so i'm sure the Jeep will be the same or worse since there's more available for it. Thanks for the input!

hmm, if i ever sell my jeep, i should list out west? i got the best offer & sold my last TJ to a guy in OK.

Jeep prices seem to fluctuate around here. seems like one minute they are selling for high prices. then other times, they get crazy low (usually when i'm trying to sell one of mine). i bought my TJ in VA & got it for 9500. 99 modded with only 41k miles. (i know i got a deal of the century on mine).
Yea i need gas to shoot up really quickly again out here so they lower the price based on demand, it finally dropped back down to below $4 instead of being at $5 so i'm sure people have forgotten already... guess i'll see what the jeep is like tomorrow morning and if i'm still on the hunt... Thanks.

Thanks again everyone so far and more people feel free to chime in! All advice/cautions/etc are appreciated!

·
Registered
669 Posts
IMO I wouldn't buy it, with the engine being rebuilt. for 9k(or close to it ) you can get a pretty sweet wrangler. Mine is 98 had 95k and lift and perfect condition for $7,700. The hardest but best thing to do is be patient. The perfect jeep WILL pop up you just have to wait!!!! And those maybe 33's but their pavement princess tires lol

But here is a pic of mine-
BTW all that stupid chrome is gone and it has a new soft top!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FireMike said:
IMO I wouldn't buy it, with the engine being rebuilt. for 9k(or close to it ) you can get a pretty sweet wrangler. Mine is 98 had 95k and lift and perfect condition for $7,700. The hardest but best thing to do is be patient. The perfect jeep WILL pop up you just have to wait!!!! And those maybe 33's but their pavement princess tires lol

But here is a pic of mine-
BTW all that stupid chrome is gone and it has a new soft top!!
Damn that's a good price! And I know the tires are street queens but all suspension and tires would get swapped by me in the near future. I'm mostly concerned about frame and engine condition at 114k with a rebuilt motor. The warranty is nice but I'd rather have something that didn't need the new motor... Also the price is an issue for me but hoping he comes down. For the right lower price this one may be ok. I get the feeling he already wants too much though. Thanks for the info and nice jeep man! Very jealous.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why was motor replaced, what happened to origanal motor? Who did the work, well known shop or what? Just because it has new motor shouldn't scare you off but find out what owner knows and if he seems to be covering anything up about it. Could have been something stupid like jeep had oil leak and oil never got checked. Could have been someone beating the crap out of the jeep so may be damage elsewhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm from San Diego myself and just wrapped up a Jeep purchase about a month ago. One of the big questions I ask is "Has it ever been stolen and if so provide more details". SD is a hot bed for stolen cars, especially Jeeps. These details don't always show up on Autofax type reports.

You'll also want to ask about the title. Are there liens on it? Is the title Salvage? I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a vehicle that has a lien or is Salvage, but just know what your getting into.

Also, San Diego and SoCal is a tough market in general to purchase a Jeep at a good price. Prices seem to be a bit bloated and if you do find something thats a bit lower than the rest it's usually gone very quickly.

If you know exactly what you want but can't find it, don't rush the situation. San Diego has a large used car market. I almost compromised on another jeep and waited a couple days and the perfect one fell on my lap.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
SoCal is invariably going to have higher than average prices due to having the best climate and some of the best wheeling to be had in the nation.

I would hold out for something with the 4.0l.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Pass on the 4cyl you get the same shitty mileage with half the power.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts