Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend in Northern Michigan is selling this Jeep for $5,900.

Black Jeep wrangler

Is this a good deal? By the way, I ran the VIN on Carfax is the Jeep is actually a 4L I6 and not the 4 cylinder. 5 speed manual. 100% stock.

The price seems right, I did check area prices to compare. My fiend is the 2nd owner.

Also, having read other threads, I am worried that I can expect a lot of leaking from the hardtop. Is that typical? Any other things I need to be aware of in owning a YJ?

Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Crawl under jeep if the frame has rust holes.... RUN. Check where the leaf springs connect front and rear... rust holes ... RUN. Check steering and check for engine blow by. Check floor pans if rusty... RUN.

For that price on a 93 it should be cherry with no problems.

Just make sure you buy a good vehicle not someones elses headache.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hardtops don't leak unless damaged. The windshield cowl seal leaks, the airbox leaks, soft tops leak like seives. A Michigan Jeep will have lots of rust un the underbelly. As noted above, it will take a lot of money and time if the rust has eaten through the metal and not jut surface rust.

·
Registered
356 Posts
mileage and pics??? and I will third the above two comments... it's a 21-22 year old Jeep, and you live in northern Indiana which put you well into the rust belt... be ready to get on your back and get comfortable while you slowly inspect the frame and tub for cancerous rust. i got my 93 on Valentines Day this year and am loving every minute of getting her just the way I want her. good luck with the search/purchase!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If the carfax said i6 and your friend said 2.5 that is not stock, I live in southern mi and drove to Chicago to look at a vehicle, turns out the guy replaced the motor and swapped out the odometer cluster after I checked carfax. That does not mean he is being deceitful just make sure it is cherry for that price. Body mounts are a big rust item in Michigan also. Check EVERYTHING!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great items to check! Thanks everyone for the heads up!

I am going up this Friday to check the points made above. Spoke with the owner again today; it seems the original owner had medical issues and the Jeep was in dry storage (barn) for ten years; 2001-2011, give or take a year.

BTW, the link to the Craigslist ad is in my first post, underlined, just in case anyone missed it.

Would there be any issues with the YJ sitting for that long?

As I am not looking to refit the Jeep or blow it out; I just want a fun daily driver, I am hoping that many of the issues mentioned elsewhere on this site are due to serious ORV experiences (leaks, etc...) and not just problems with the series generally.

Knowing this, does anyone think I am making a mistake buying a Jeep this old? My expectations are not high in terms of comfort (No A/C, windage and such) but I am ready to move on vehicle-wise and I just love Wranglers in general.

Thanks again for the information already provided!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know if I'm correct on this, but check to see if it has an internal or external slave cylinder for the clutch. I have a 1990 Yj with an internal slave, and they are absolute crap. I am in the process of changing everything to a 1994 external, which is a fairly easy swap, and it will rid me of that leaky pile of crap internal slave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any vehicle that sits for ten years without use will need all of the fluids changed, the belts and flex lines examined. ( brake lines radiator lines, etc )
I agree. But my friend received the Jeep in 2011 as an Anniversary gift from his wife and, knowing him, he already did all that. It came to him with 87,000 and he has added 10,000 in the last 3 years.

I will check to make sure all that was done, just in case, so thanks for thinking of it. I had not & that is why as asked the real YJ drivers for input. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts