Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my CB last weekend and after a few days of just driving around town, driving over the sidewalk onto and off of my driveway, etc. I've noticed something concerning. I'm running a 4' Firestik on the Teraflex JK tire carrier mount with a Firestik heavy duty spring (yes it IS the heavy duty one).

I have a tennis ball just above the wiper on the hard top to keep the antenna from smacking into the top on bumps. Due to the tire (265/70/17 Duratrac on stock wheels/tire carrier) it really can't move backwards at all though even with the spring on.

The concerning bit is just coming off curbs around town at odd angles the antenna slaps around from side to side and sometimes smacks into the 3rd brake light housing. I can't imagine this is good for the antenna. Am I really helping the antenna on trails to cope with the odd overhead branch since the spring is really only allowing side to side movement anyway? I'm thinking I should just remove the spring and if I break the antenna grab a Wilson Flex instead. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically we stay off the curbs...:whistling:
LOL well, even just the sidewalk in front of my driveway causes it. That's what I meant by curbs mostly. Anyway, yeah a disconnect would be nice, but I'm still concerned about the spring action since I'll have a similar or worse problem on the trails with it bouncing around I'm sure.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
I am no fan of antenna springs and wouldn't run one. Not even with a quick disconnect. They can cause that exact problem you're having, I would remove it. Not to mention antenna springs add electrical length to an antenna and they can make it more difficult if not impossible to tune the antenna for a low SWR.

I now run a 2' Firestick FS-2 antenna with no spring and no quick disconnect to worry about, it works great and since I have it properly tuned, it communicates extremely well. It clears my garage door & is worry-free due to it not protruding above the roof line.

·
KMG 365
918 Posts
I also use a quick disconnect. My HAM antenna just folds over. I only have the CB antenna on when I am 4 wheeling. The rest of the time the antenna sits in my garage. My HAM antenna is always on. I always listen to HAM when in my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to see about just removing it then. If I break the antenna on the trail then I'll get a shorter/different one. I don't go anywhere in town that it would be an issue, and of course I can always just remove it between trail runs. I guess I was worried junk would build up in the hole in the stud if I did that. Maybe I'll run it for a little bit on the trail run coming up at the end of the month and see how the spring actually does. If it flaps around too much it's definitely gone.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I wonder if the newer ones are less heavy duty. If I hit a good bump (speed bump, coming off a curb from the driveway at an angle, etc.) it moves around pretty good for a couple swings before it locks it down. I found a thread here where someone else had the same problem and noticed it wore a hole through the outer covering on the Firestik and was starting to damage the wire underneath. This is the spring I'm using with a 4' Stik Firestik Medium CB Antenna Spring SS-3H | Right Channel Radios

1 - 9 of 9 Posts