Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 3.73 now and I think I want to go to 4.88 (2017 jkur)

Bearing in mind I'm not a millionaire, I think I'll go for an entire front/rear kit (will be doing it myself). What's a good brand and which ones should I stay away from?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Go with the real US made Spicer. They are just a bit more than the others but OE quality and US made. R&p is something you only want to do once if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
If you are going to do them yourself, find a friend that has done them to help or know exactly what you are going to do before you drain the oil. Close is not good enough.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Yukon R&P. I used their 5.38 gear set in my last Jeep. Set up well and stayed quiet for the 140,000klm I drove it. As far as I know they are still in the Jeep and it’s on the road.
There are a few places that offer the Yukon front and rear set with master instal kits for $600USD.
As for ratio, are planning on moving up to 37s? If not 4.56 is enough.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yukon R&P. I used their 5.38 gear set in my last Jeep. Set up well and stayed quiet for the 140,000klm I drove it. As far as I know they are still in the Jeep and it’s on the road.
There are a few places that offer the Yukon front and rear set with master instal kits for $600USD.
As for ratio, are planning on moving up to 37s? If not 4.56 is enough.

Why spend that much on gears made overseas when you can get better quality for just a bit more? Yukon are ok but you can do better.

4.88s on 35s are a great choice ...better than 4.56, especially if the rig is heavy or driven on hills or at high altitude.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments...

I was originally looking at Yukon but then I saw a revolution gear kit on ebay for like $150 cheaper. Just wondering what makes the price difference. Are we talking a difference in steel or is it just a name brand thing?

I'm running 35's right now (34.somethings actually) but 4.88 seems to be a good balance. It'll work with the 35's or 37's if I so choose to go that route on next tire renewal.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh yes....

Tricky, tricky!

You have to look carefully but most of the lesser expensive kits don't include the replacement pinion bearings. That would mean you would have to be very careful getting the existing ones off, and you can't grind out the inside of them for a quick fit while testing shims. That's a pain in the a$$!

After you concider that most of the kits come in around the same... about $600 or so. Yukon has a sale going on... their $1450 kit (for rubicon) on for around $650

Interesting though... some sites (amazon and ebay mainly) are reporting that the Yukon YGK015 kit only fits up to a 2015 rubicon while other sites like Extreme Terrain and quadratec are reporting it DOES fit a 2017 rubicon. I don't think there is a difference between a 2015 and a 2017 drive train so I'm not sure why the discrepancy?!?

It looks like a I may go for the Yukon YGK015 kit though. It looks pretty complete. Found it for $574 on ebay (although it's one of the sites reporting it won't fit a 2017)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Ahhh yes....

Tricky, tricky!

You have to look carefully but most of the lesser expensive kits don't include the replacement pinion bearings. That would mean you would have to be very careful getting the existing ones off, and you can't grind out the inside of them for a quick fit while testing shims. That's a pain in the a$$!

After you concider that most of the kits come in around the same... about $600 or so. Yukon has a sale going on... their $1450 kit (for rubicon) on for around $650

Interesting though... some sites (amazon and ebay mainly) are reporting that the Yukon YGK015 kit only fits up to a 2015 rubicon while other sites like Extreme Terrain and quadratec are reporting it DOES fit a 2017 rubicon. I don't think there is a difference between a 2015 and a 2017 drive train so I'm not sure why the discrepancy?!?

It looks like a I may go for the Yukon YGK015 kit though. It looks pretty complete. Found it for $574 on ebay (although it's one of the sites reporting it won't fit a 2017)
Yes, you are thinking correctly. You want to be able to use the old bearings for set-up bearings by grinding them out just a bit. Good luck.
I am pretty sure I used Yukon gears.....been several years ago now, and I am old!!! LOL.
So far there have been no issues.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I saw a lot of weird year ranges when I was buying r/p gears, including from Spicer themselves. There is no difference between 2015-2018 JK gears except the Rubicon/non rubicon.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thanks for the comments...

I was originally looking at Yukon but then I saw a revolution gear kit on ebay for like $150 cheaper. Just wondering what makes the price difference. Are we talking a difference in steel or is it just a name brand thing?

It’s pretty much branding. Most of the gear brands buy from the same Indian or Korean suppliers, though there is a rumor that the “premium” brands like Yukon get the best of the lot. Really, the only difference in the overseas sourced brands is the box and whatever warranty the retail brand decides to offer on it.

So basically flip a coin, buy the lowest price or go with whatever brand name you like best. They all will work well enough with proper setup.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw a lot of weird year ranges when I was buying r/p gears, including from Spicer themselves. There is no difference between 2015-2018 JK gears except the Rubicon/non rubicon.

Yeah, I think from 2007 all the way to 2018 there is no difference in gear systems... just Rubicon or non Rubicon.

The ebay page clearly states a "Yukon YGK015" kit (which Quadratec states fits all JK Rubicons from 2007-up) yet in the notes sections on parts compatibility it states "dana44, DANA35"

ebay1.jpg

ebay2.jpg

I sent the seller a note trying to clear up the confusion. I think it's probably a NON rubicon kit judging by the price... but we'll see what he says.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
One thing to watch for, on the rear D44 kit, if you order the complete kit with new bearings. The Rubi D44 takes different bearings that the non Rubi. Make sure they send you the correct bearings for a Rubi. I had mine all tore down before I figured it out. I had to go to a local bearing supply and get the correct ones. I don’t remember which brand gear set I used.......been several years now.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Screw it.

Went with 5.13's.

3.73 to 5.13... that's quite the jump.

Might be a little low for 35 inch wheels but our Canadian speed limits are considerably lower compared to the US. As it stands now I run at about 2800 rpm on the highway because the tranny won't drop into final gear for long periods of time, and then on the first incline is goes back. I'll probably go up to 37's anyway after I burn out these 35's. With 5.13 that option will be there.

Not withstanding, every one I talk to says do 5.13's if you tow... which I do a fair bit of.

Something tells me though that I will end up having to purchase the Pedal commander! I bet it's going to be impossible to avoid spinning wheels in the Winter without dumbing down the gas pedal.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Screw it.

Went with 5.13's.

3.73 to 5.13... that's quite the jump.

Might be a little low for 35 inch wheels but our Canadian speed limits are considerably lower compared to the US. As it stands now I run at about 2800 rpm on the highway because the tranny won't drop into final gear for long periods of time, and then on the first incline is goes back. I'll probably go up to 37's anyway after I burn out these 35's. With 5.13 that option will be there.

Not withstanding, every one I talk to says do 5.13's if you tow... which I do a fair bit of.

Something tells me though that I will end up having to purchase the Pedal commander! I bet it's going to be impossible to avoid spinning wheels in the Winter without dumbing down the gas pedal.

Is your front axle a D44?

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I thought about going 5.13 especially when I am above 6000 feet. I also find 2800 rpms to be about perfect as far as performance goes. I rarely need to down shift at that rpm with 4.88's except for mountain passes. If I am loaded for bear and pulling a trailer 5.13s would also be nice as I tend to not go faster than 60 mph, I wouldn't need to down shift as much, but I do get pretty good MPG at this speed. Above that not so good but I am not really complaining as I only dropped about 1 mpg as compared to 4.10's and 35's.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought about going 5.13 especially when I am above 6000 feet. I also find 2800 rpms to be about perfect as far as performance goes. I rarely need to down shift at that rpm with 4.88's except for mountain passes. If I am loaded for bear and pulling a trailer 5.13s would also be nice as I tend to not go faster than 60 mph, I wouldn't need to down shift as much, but I do get pretty good MPG at this speed. Above that not so good but I am not really complaining as I only dropped about 1 mpg as compared to 4.10's and 35's.

4.88 probably would have done it for me too but my problem is I always end up pushing for just one more notch!

Most of our highway speed limits in Manitoba are 100kmh (62mph).
You can push that to 110 (68) without a ticket, so the highest speed around here is about 68.... higher speeds than that aren't really an issue so I figured what the heck. At least now my auto tranny should drop into its last gear without too much issue.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts

The rear R&P for Rubi and non Rubi D44 are actually the same parts only the master install kit is different.
When you buy a “kit” they specify Rubi or non- Rubi it’s due to the front D30 R&P and the difference in Master install kits that include all the new bearings and races.

I do enough gear changes that I chose to purchase new pinion bearings to use as set up bearings opposed to using possibly sloppy used bearings.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts