Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and also new to the Jeep community. I recently purchased a 2015 Willy's.

I decided to put a third brake light in the spare tire. I did this by splicing the wire that was already there leading to the top LED light that sits above the spare tire. Once I got this on, the third brake light in the tire well worked and the top LED light did not. A couple of days later neither of the lights work. I checked the fuse in the hood of the Wrangler and it was not blown. I also took apart the top LED brake light and the connection was intact. Has anyone had this issue before? If so, what did you do?

I appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my Third brake light. I just did a extension mod on the light to find out its not working, Not sure if the light ever worked. The fuse is good and did a continuity check and seems to be getting power..does anybody have any suggestions out there..?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am new to this forum and also new to the Jeep community. I recently purchased a 2015 Willy's.

I decided to put a third brake light in the spare tire. I did this by splicing the wire that was already there leading to the top LED light that sits above the spare tire. Once I got this on, the third brake light in the tire well worked and the top LED light did not. A couple of days later neither of the lights work. I checked the fuse in the hood of the Wrangler and it was not blown. I also took apart the top LED brake light and the connection was intact. Has anyone had this issue before? If so, what did you do?

I appreciate the help!!
One of the first things I'd do is, a continuity check to make sure you're getting juice to the newly added LED light. Second, sometimes LED fixtures don't use common colors for specific applications, i.e. normally a ground wire in many vehicles is a black wire. But, on some LED fixtures, the WHITE wire is the ground wire, not the black. So, I don't know if you may have reversed those wires but, it might be worth a check.

Scott

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another common problem with the spare tire brake light ring is where to run the wire for it. DO NOT place it anywhere it can be pinched when remounting the tire. If you have shorted it out this way, neither light would work I think.
Also check that your splice is still connected properly. Were the wires soldered and heat shrink or did you use a butt connector (sometimes called suitcase connector and other things)? Those are known to be a weak spot in any DIY wiring. Now that the weather is getting better I will be installing mine soon. I am shopping for a good OEM style waterproof disconnect in case I need to remove the ring for some reason. That way my OEM third brake light will still work without futzing with the wiring.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Another common problem with the spare tire brake light ring is where to run the wire for it. DO NOT place it anywhere it can be pinched when remounting the tire. If you have shorted it out this way, neither light would work I think.
Also check that your splice is still connected properly. Were the wires soldered and heat shrink or did you use a butt connector (sometimes called suitcase connector and other things)? Those are known to be a weak spot in any DIY wiring. Now that the weather is getting better I will be installing mine soon. I am shopping for a good OEM style waterproof disconnect in case I need to remove the ring for some reason. That way my OEM third brake light will still work without futzing with the wiring.
MDCustom,
I see you're "shopping" for a "waterproof" connector. Well, you've more than likely seen what I'm linking below. GM as well as many other manufacturers use these style water/weather proof connectors. Bosch, Deutch, Mitzubishi, and quite a few others also make their own versions of water/weatherproof connectors.

I've used the Weatherpak ones many, many times in much of my "DIY" workings. It also pays to have the correct set of crimpers too. They crimp the female and male connector pins and, crimp around the seals in just the right way. OH, by the way, it's also nice to have the pin removal tool too. Just in case you make a mistake or, need to re-do a splice or connection. That little tubular tool removes the barbed ends/pins without issue.
Scott

https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Terminals/dp/B01FP1HXHQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523677887&sr=8-4&keywords=weather+pack+connectors&dpID=51r2XRp6LjL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-Weatherpack-Crimper-Tool/dp/B002CCAEJ6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523677887&sr=8-3&keywords=weather+pack+connectors&dpID=41fr8fdFITL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Reactions: MDCustom

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Thanks for the links to the weatherproof connectors. I had been thinking about where to find them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used the Weatherpak ones many, many times in much of my "DIY" workings. It also pays to have the correct set of crimpers too. They crimp the female and male connector pins and, crimp around the seals in just the right way. OH, by the way, it's also nice to have the pin removal tool too. Just in case you make a mistake or, need to re-do a splice or connection. That little tubular tool removes the barbed ends/pins without issue.
Scott

https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Terminals/dp/B01FP1HXHQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523677887&sr=8-4&keywords=weather+pack+connectors&dpID=51r2XRp6LjL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-Weatherpack-Crimper-Tool/dp/B002CCAEJ6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523677887&sr=8-3&keywords=weather+pack+connectors&dpID=41fr8fdFITL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Thanks! Those are exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for the 'heads up' on the tools too. :worthy:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks for the links to the weatherproof connectors. I had been thinking about where to find them.
Thanks! Those are exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for the 'heads up' on the tools too. :worthy:
You two are quite welcome. If and when you purchase those crimping pliers, an pick up the right pins for the specific gauge wire you plan on working with, take your time and be careful with them. Each set of crimps inside the teeth of those pliers has specific applications. They work outstanding once you know what set of teeth applied to what part of the crimping operation. Sine Youtube has so many instructional videos on just about everything under the sun, it may have one for the use of those pliers. Might be worth checking out.
Scott

Two brake lights is plenty.
Two brake lights is plenty for what? Apparently the Federal government, NTHSA, FMVSS, and maybe a few more, don't think only two brake lights is enough. In 1986, they mandated the third brake light's use. It's also mandated in Canada, Australia and Europe. If the vehicle, Jeeps in our case, are outfitted from the factory with a third brake light, it's a law that it works. Now, do any LEO folks ticket for non-working or, non existent ones? Who knows?
Scott

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
One of the first things I'd do is, a continuity check to make sure you're getting juice to the newly added LED light. Second, sometimes LED fixtures don't use common colors for specific applications, i.e. normally a ground wire in many vehicles is a black wire. But, on some LED fixtures, the WHITE wire is the ground wire, not the black. So, I don't know if you may have reversed those wires but, it might be worth a check.

Scott
Yes, because if you hook up an LED backwards it will not light up. Many forget (or didn't know) that the D stands for diode and a diode only passes current in one direction. Our DC system in the Jeeps also only has current flowing in one direction, so if you wire the LED backwards, instead of passing the current, it blocks it.

A good discussion of hooking up the replacement 3rd brake light. I am planning on removing both of mine and replacing them with the behind the spare tire LED rings. Two reasons - better visibility over the spare tire and a more noticeable brake light.

As to the comment that two is good enough, up until sometime in the 50's one was considered good enough. Some cars up into the late 40's only had one mounted on the trunk lid, trucks (including the Jeep) only had one on the left rear. Then everyone went to two, just in case the one was blocked or had a burned out bulb. But with the low brake lights on some '80s cars, the Feds mandated, not a 3rd BL, but a center high mounted brake light. Jeeps, convertibles and pickup trucks had to get creative to accomplish this. Large trucks still only have two mandated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts