Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove my stock third brake light on my 2017 JKU, and replace it with a 15"" led flash strobe and mount it over the rear window of my hardtop. Just for better viability. Any ideas ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I am interested in this too. Did you ever get a solid recommendation?

I am thinking i'd like one of those led set ups that go behind the spare tire. If i could get that combined with a license plate relocation kit, i'd really be in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Well,
Based on the fact that the rear visibility of a JKU sucks due to:

1. rear seat head rests always up
2. A larger spare tire requires elevating the factory third brake light

I decided to change both of those. For the rear seat headrests, that was easy. All that's needed to be done is, un-hook the rotational springs, just below the fabric, at the base of each one. One on each side of each headrest needs to be un-hooked. All that happens when you do this is, when the rear seats are tilted forward and the headrest latches are released or tilting backwards, just like normal, only when the seat backs are tilted back up, the head rests stay in the horizontal position, due to no springs wanting to bring them back up.

The headrests are still totally functional. All one needs to do to bring them up is, LIFT THEM back into position. They will lock in the up-right position. They will not tilt back down, 'till the seat backs are tilted forward, just like normal.

Now, as for the third brake light, that was a bit more involved. I purchased this light:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SLZDDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first thing I did was remove the factory third brake light. Then, I removed the wiring that leads to it, from all inside the tail gate tunnel. Now, knowing the the distance from the point at which the wiring for the third brake light emerges in the right rear corner of the tub, to the point where it will emerge from the center of the top of the hard top was too short, I added a couple of feet of more wire for both the hot and ground.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Fishing those two flimsy, small, 18ga wires up, around the corner and, pin-point hitting a hole you've drilled in the center of the hard top above the rear glass, is all but impossible. So, I went the other way. I sent down, a heavy section of bailing wire, from the newly drilled center hole, had it bend around the corner and emerge from a hole I drilled very near where the hard top sits on the tub.

Then, I taped onto the end of that bailing wire, both of the third brake light wires. I them carefully fed them and the bailing wire, back into that hole, and pulled gently on it, from the center hole up top. Carefully I inched things along 'till the taped section emerged from the center top. Yahooo.

Now, on that particular light that I used, it's labeled as a "STT" or, Stop/Turn/Tail light. In that, it can be used as a trailer light, one on each side 'cause it's a tail light, a turn light and a brake light, all in one.

All I did was, solder my hot lead to the turn/stop wire and, solder the grounds. As for the tail light wire, it was not used and, tucked back into the hole. I then carefully placed that new light against the top cross piece, carefull tucking the wires into the hold behind it, and, when i was satisfied that the light was being held in the utmost horizontal/level position, I marked the holes that were needed for mounting it.

I then let the light rest by hanging down just a bit. Now, I drilled the proper sized holes for the screws I chose to mount the light. Once the holes were drilled, I put a small bead of black Silicone around all three holes. I carefully replaced the light, tucking the wires in again, all the while not disturbing the donut of Silicone I laid.

Carefully inserted the screws and tightened things down but, not too tight. i could just barely see the Silicone ooze out which, was a good thing. I finger cleaned all/any excess Silicone up and, had the wife come out and press the brake pedal for a test. Yahooo, it worked and, it was darned bright. Happy camper.
Scott

I have pictures but, that now worthless Photobucket wants to charge folks for linking pics when it was free for decades. So, I'll have to find another cache for storying pics. Man that sucks.
Scott
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top