Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrical problem #2. My third break light stopped working and with a little trouble shooting I found two things.

1. blown bulb
2. loss of ground from the contact button on body side to tailgate.

So my jeep, a 2004 Wrangler Sport has two round contacts that make a connection with two contacts mounted on the tailgate. Seems the top button is for ground and it lost its connection to that contact. I was wondering how to get to the backside of that contact to check the wire for corrosion, do they pop in or screw in?

Ray

·
Registered
172 Posts
Take your rear tire off and pop of the fender cover...

FYI: some states don't require that you have a third tail light, but if you do have one it must be functional.

I guess I should add that you can just pop them out, they are held in by a little rubber piece that slips over the pins and connects to the wire. Still to reconnect them you have to get on the inside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take your rear tire off and pop of the fender cover...

FYI: some states don't require that you have a third tail light, but if you do have one it must be functional.

I guess I should add that you can just pop them out, they are held in by a little rubber piece that slips over the pins and connects to the wire. Still to reconnect them you have to get on the inside.

NY requires the third break light to work, and the police in some parts of Western NY will pull you over for them not working. I did not know the inner fender cover was removable. I'll look into that tomorrow after work. Thanks for the speedy reply.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thinking about it, you might not need to remove the fender guard...Hold on....
.....*running outside in the rain*...............................................................
..................................................................................OK I'm back.
I stand corrected, just take a pair of pliers and pull em out.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I'm sure you can get it fixed, but in my situation I couldn't. It wouldn't pass safety inspection so I removed the whole third brake light assembly. Ended up being "out of sight, out of mind" the inspector didn't notice that it wasn't working, because it wasn't there!

On cars its harder because they are built in to the upper window, easy to see that they are not working, but the jeep looks find with it not there.

Missouri law where I am from states something like it has to have two taillights parallel with each other, and if a third brake light is present, it must work also. Mine wasn't present! Even though if you read farther into the law all vehicles are federally mandated to have them after 1980 something. little loop hole maybe if you are trying to get inspected.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
It's common for the wires to have fallen off the contact buttons on the tub.
You only need to pull down the rear bit of the inner plastic fender then reach up and feel for the contacts (and the wires).
The wires will have to be pushed on with some authority or they will fall off again. You will feel a definate 'click' when they lock in properly.
It doesn't matter which wire goes on which contact unless the 3rd brakelight globe has been swapped for LEDs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All fixed

Thinking about it, you might not need to remove the fender guard...Hold on....
.....*running outside in the rain*...............................................................
..................................................................................OK I'm back.
I stand corrected, just take a pair of pliers and pull em out.
Since I knew which contact was not working, the top one (top button = ground) I decide to try gently pulling the contact out with needle nose pliers like HardSilverTJ suggested. To my surprise the contact pulled right out. I then removed the rubber grommet that holds that contact in place and sure enough the ground wire was sitting right there. I managed to pull it out of the hole just enough to clean it and put some die electric grease in the connector. I then inserted the contact/pin into the rubber grommet, re-connected the ground wire and re-inserted the complete contact assembly back into the tub. I had to use a small screwdriver to seat the grommet with minimal effort. I then checked for 12 volts and was good to go. I'm back in business once again. That's two electrical problems solved in two nights I'm on a roll. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. :dance:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Since I knew which contact was not working, the top one (top button = ground) I decide to try gently pulling the contact out with needle nose pliers like HardSilverTJ suggested. To my surprise the contact pulled right out. I then removed the rubber grommet that holds that contact in place and sure enough the ground wire was sitting right there. I managed to pull it out of the hole just enough to clean it and put some die electric grease in the connector. I then inserted the contact/pin into the rubber grommet, re-connected the ground wire and re-inserted the complete contact assembly back into the tub. I had to use a small screwdriver to seat the grommet with minimal effort. I then checked for 12 volts and was good to go. I'm back in business once again. That's two electrical problems solved in two nights I'm on a roll. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. :dance:
Glad your driving "legal" again. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts