Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my son brought the ‘94 YJ home this afternoon complaining about noise in the gearbox. I had a look around and saw this... suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
missing the dust shield

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a big deal? Can I drive with it off?

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Yes, you can. It's just a dust shield, no harm done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it, thanks!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Its an inspection plate/dust cover. It isn't essential, but I'd put it back. Get a branch, cat, or anything else in there while its running and you're going to have issues. They're cheap.

Just enough mud to slap your crank position sensor around and you won't be driving home. Also, not sure that would explain noise in the gearbox and you would have to remove the starter to remove that plate so I doubt the noise produced by the flywheel is a new sound.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Its an inspection plate/dust cover. It isn't essential, but I'd put it back. Get a branch, cat, or anything else in there while its running and you're going to have issues. They're cheap.

Just enough mud to slap your crank position sensor around and you won't be driving home. Also, not sure that would explain noise in the gearbox and you would have to remove the starter to remove that plate so I doubt the noise produced by the flywheel is a new sound.
That plate on mine was sandwiched between the transmission and the motor. Not just an inspection plate, but a bell housing sized plate. To take it off, and put it back on, you'll need to remove the transmission.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yup, you’re right. Forgot about that. You wouldn’t have to remove the transmission, but you would have to take all the bolts out and back it off a half inch or so. It’s listed as a spacer online.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yup, you’re right. Forgot about that. You wouldn’t have to remove the transmission, but you would have to take all the bolts out and back it off a half inch or so. It’s listed as a spacer online.
You would need to back the transmission out enough to get the spacer past the input shaft.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You would need to back the transmission out enough to get the spacer past the input shaft.
it has a cutout to get past. The cutout is wide enough to clear the flange on the flywheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
it has a cutout to get past. The cutout is wide enough to clear the flange on the flywheel.
Hmm... I don't remember mine having a cutout. But I may be mistaken.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
Without that spacer/dust shield, the input shaft of the transmission pokes too far into the back of the crankshaft. If the teeth of the input shaft are pushing on the pilot bearing, you could have pressure on the transmission input shaft bearing and that might be causing your transmission noise.
I would get a plate installed before driving it any more. It may be nothing or it could be causing the noise and damaging the trans. How long have you had the Jeep? If the plate is missing, you might find some of the bell housing to engine block bolts are missing too.
Install the plate and take the Jeep back to your mechanic if the noise goes away. I'll bet he'll be embarrassed.

Good Luck, L.M.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Defcon 1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts