Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New member here so hopefully I am posting in the right forum and can get the pictures attached. Have a 2000 Wrangler TJ. Has common major frame rust near rear driver wheel. Bought a frame repair section made by a well known company. All in all pretty impressed. But one design deviation (from OEM) makes me wonder if I should be concerned. Need some expert feedback here so I can decide whether I will keep and install the part, or return it.
MY CONCERN: orientation of the lower control arm bracket attached to the replacement frame section. On the TJ the lower control arm approaches that bracket at an angle. OEM frame bracket aims over that way so that the control arm enters between the bracket's sides in a parallel manner. On the replacement piece, the bracket is does not aim over but instead is parallel with the frame itself. That results in the control arm entering the bracket in a diagonal manner. That means the faces of the control arm sleeves and the faces of the bushings that the sleeves go through, are not parallel/flush with the bracket's sides. Hard to explain well here but the pictures should make it all clear. Another item is that the inside distance between the replacement bracket's sides is approximately 5/16" wider than the OEM. That extra width is why the mounted control arm (seen in 3 of the pictures) has so much room on each side of it. By the way, the bolt came with the package and was in the holes when I opened the box. The diagonal orientation of it immediately caught my eye. SO BOTTOM LINE: based on the mechanics of how the control arm works as the axle is bouncing up and down while driving, should I have any concerns about how this replacement part is designed as far as its bracket's orientation? Thanks for your help and sorry for being so long winded.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
The frame repair sections have a left and a right side I don't know which side you are fixing so i can't tell you what side this is for but you have to make sure they go on the correct side of the jeep

1 - 3 of 3 Posts