Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me a moron, a newbee or both but I did something VERY stupid this weekend. Three of us went chukar hunting in central nevada and there was some pretty good off44r4oading to be had. The Rubicon did incredible, never even had to shift into 4 wheel. One problem: When I gassed the Jeep, apparently I forgot to fully turn the gas cap. No check engine light, no service light but after offroading in some nasty fluffy sand and causing a ton of dust devils, I noticed the gas cap was OFF when we stopped. I swabbed the internal surface to remove the fine film of dust and cleaned off the gas cap- also very dusty. I'm worried the gas tank is now a sandy or dusty mess.
Suggestions? I'm thinking run two tanks to allow the fuel filter to do it's job and then replace the fuel filter. I'm really kicking myself in the ass about this because the jeep only has 8700 miles! I drove it back home last night for almost 5 hours and it performed flawlessly, but I'm more worried about long term effects.

·
Registered
153 Posts
fill it up gas is caustic it will eat away at what little dust you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
What a moronic, newbee stupid move! Sorry, just had to. I think you will be fine, that is what the filter is for. Your idea about running a couple tanks and replacing the filter should be fine, is it an in tank filter or in line filter??

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
There is no replaceable filter.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well crappola. I thought it would have had an in line filter- apparently not. Gas is indeed very caustic and I would hope that would help clean and scour any residual sandy residue, I have a hard time believing that sand would make its way into the tank given the recessed nature of the filler neck, as well as the slight curvature. Maybe some fuel injector cleaner??? What else can be done, or am I making a mountain of a mole hill on this one.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Could always drop the tank, preferrably when empty, and clean it out that way.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I assume the anti-siphon flap would keep the sand out, any dust that did manage to work it's way past should end up trapped in the fuel filter. Unless it's running poorly I wouldn't worry about it.

Both fuel filters are unfortunatly inside the gas tank with the pump. Requires dropping the tank with the skid plate.
I think the test is to measure fuel flow volume and spray pattern at the injectors.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the responses, I guess I'll just keep an eye on her for now. I can't see dropping the tank, especially given that I've driven her through almost a full tank since the incident without a hitch. The anti-siphon valve may be my one saving grace for an astoundingly stupid move. God bless engineers! :dance:
On the plus side, the JK sure is a blast to 4 wheel!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had to replace a fuel pump on a zj a while back and found about a pound of dirt and sand in the tank. Other than starting issues it ran fine. Kinda funny since I am pretty sure that that zj never mader if off road. I would think that you will be fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gas cap

If your worried, don't be, unless you stood there and shoveled the dirt in. What little dust that did get into your gas tank wont really matter. Remember there is a little flapper valve at the top of your fill tube, which is there to prevent just what your worried about.

Just a side bar, Its amazing actually, on how many people you come across with their gas cap filler cover open driving down the road everyday.

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
I had to replace a fuel pump on a zj a while back and found about a pound of dirt and sand in the tank. Other than starting issues it ran fine. Kinda funny since I am pretty sure that that zj never mader if off road. I would think that you will be fine.
The older a vehicle gets the more dirt and rust can make it's way into the tank. This is normal and usually results in no problems. I think you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on hard starting and sluggish acceration (more than normal)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Alectoris chukar

The Chukar Partridge or Chukar is a Eurasian upland gamebird in the pheasant family Phasianidae.

(Had to look it up... sounds delicious!)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chukar season was excellent!:dance: I didn't bring a camera....but I think my dad has some pictures of our trip. I got 2 chukar, 2 hungarian hens and 2 quail, and a whole boat load of fun out in the middle of nowhere!! I'm shooting a Smith model 1000 autoloader 12 guage, very reliable shotgun!! I wouldn't trade that shotgun for any it has been that reliable and accurate.
Thanks all for the reassurance, i do admit that i can get a little OCD about these things. It is always amazing to me how many people do ride around with the gas cap open, hell I saw one guy go through the car wash with it wide open! :rofl::rofl: I guess I'm not one to judge after this incident.:hide:

I'll see if I can get some pics...:thumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Alectoris chukar

The Chukar Partridge or Chukar is a Eurasian upland gamebird in the pheasant family Phasianidae.

(Had to look it up... sounds delicious!)
Oh yes, they are utterly delicious!!!! I usually fry them up, but they are even great on the BBQ with some sweet baby rays!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would think that any dirt or sand would settle to the bottom, I know that with large machinery you don't run all the diesel out because of all the sediment that's on the bottom, also any dirt that did get in there would be diluted into 20 or so gallons of gas, it could be so fine that it just burns off in the engine. I wouldn't worry, and I would pick up a filler cover door.

·
Registered
22,334 Posts
I have a Rubi and run the beach in Corova 7-8 hours a day for 3-4 weeks during the summer.. Never had an issue with sand..:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts