Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today it was freezing out side so I used the heat in the jeep works great. last winter I noticed that the 3rd fan speed setting quit working and never replaced the part. So when I used the heat I jumped right the the 4th fan setting and all was good then started getting to hot so my gf moved it down to the third and it worked!!! All I did was replace the light that burned out with LEDs not sure what made it work again but who cares it works! Now the problem I ran across though is that when I used the heat on the third fan setting I get this really strong nasty smell that comes through the vents I have no clue what's causing it and why it only happens on the third fan setting. Smell is a hard thing to describe so I'm going to do my best. It smells sort of like those in door wacky roller coasters or fun houses, it's kind of dusty weird smell. Anyone else have this problem? :confused:

·
Registered
178 Posts
My first guess is that your fan speed switch is melting (did you notice if the plug on the back has melted yet?).
I had the exact same issue as you described!
Pull it apart and check it! You can pick one up from NAPA for about $20.00.
Some folks will tell you you will need to replace the blower motor as it draws too many amps...maybe, maybe not...you should check it first.

It might be the resister pack, but it usually will knock out more than one speed.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first guess is that your fan speed switch is melting (did you notice if the plug on the back has melted yet?).
I had the exact same issue as you described!
Pull it apart and check it! You can pick one up from NAPA for about $20.00.
Some folks will tell you you will need to replace the blower motor as it draws too many amps...maybe, maybe not...you should check it first.

It might be the resister pack, but it usually will knock out more than one speed.
It wasn't when I put the LEDs in but I'll check it out. I'm not real sure if that would be the problem though doesn't smell like anything is melting. It's almost the same smell you get when you first turn on your heat in your house. That dusty smell. And if it was that melting it wouldn't just come out of the vents and I wouldn't think it would only smell on the 3rd setting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When you are using a slower speed than high the resistor resists the flow of electricity to the motor. There is a coil mounted on the resistor in the air flow that requires cooling as it resists the electric flow. You are smelling the dirt and crud on the coil as it is burnt off.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you are using a slower speed than high the resistor resists the flow of electricity to the motor. There is a coil mounted on the resistor in the air flow that requires cooling as it resists the electric flow. You are smelling the dirt and crud on the coil as it is burnt off.
Ok so it will go away once it's all burnt off. It sounds like this could be it thanks for the help! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
In my case, I did not find the fan speed switch harness melted, but did find the switch was slightly melted (I could only see it slightly once the connector was off).

One of the contacts (the one for the highest speed) was loose, and would only make contact once the switch was jiggled.

I had the same smell as well....until I changed the switch!

Do yourself a favor and make sure it is not melted...some jeeps have gone up in flames from this.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case, I did not find the fan speed switch harness melted, but did find the switch was slightly melted (I could only see it slightly once the connector was off).

One of the contacts (the one for the highest speed) was loose, and would only make contact once the switch was jiggled.

I had the same smell as well....until I changed the switch!

Do yourself a favor and make sure it is not melted...some jeeps have gone up in flames from this.
Yeah I'm going to be checking it later on today. I checked it when i put the LEDs in because my 3rd setting wasn't working and nothing was wrong with it so I don't think that is it but like I said I will check it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts