Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
41,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a set of Poison Spyder hood louvers for a while now. Doing trail runs in southern Arizona sure heats up the engine compartment so I wanted to do something about it. A couple of months ago I was in an accident (a lady pulled out in front of me) so I figured it was a good time and I wanted to stick with my military theme too.

I picked it up through Northridge 4x4, they have free shipping and currently give a 5% discount to forum members. If you go this route, don't be in a hurry, it's dropped shipped from Poison Spyder and took almost a month to get here.

The instructions are very clear and they double as the template. The louver is packaged well but it took me a little while to find the bag of hardware, it was taped to the styrofoam insert. No, it doesn't come with the military star, I put that on myself, it comes either in black or bare metal.

The build:

• Step 1 of the instructions call for me to remove the hood and place it on saw horses. I wanted to see how difficult it would be to work with it on the Jeep so I skipped that step.
  • I started out by removing the windshield bump stops and footman's loop. I set the louver in place to get an idea of how things would fit.
  • Next I covered the section I would be working with in masking tape. This way, I could write on it easier and there would be less chance of the drill bit or cutting wheel slipping.

Attachments

·
Administrator
41,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
  • I then put the louver back in place to line things up. When lining the louvers up, the instructions call for using the rubber bump stops. I wanted things to be more secure so I used a couple of large bolts.
  • I traced the outline and marked the screw holes. I found out later that marking the holes at this time was a waste of time.
  • Then, following the instructions, I taped the template in place and used a center punch on all the corner locations.
  • I drilled the corner holes and drew the lines connecting the holes. I also came up with the idea of roughly marking the cross member to get an idea where to be careful. You can see in the pic after I cut the sections out, I was quite a bit off on my cross member estimate.
  • The instructions called for to use a cut-off wheel but I don't have one but I found an angle grinder works just fine. As the instructions say, be careful when cutting above the cross member because you don't want to weaken the hood more than you already are with the holes. Next I scraped the glue material off and painted everything black but I forgot to take a picture of that, sorry.
  • After the paint dried, I set the louver in place with my alignment bolts again. I drilled holes in the four corners and installed screws per the instructions. After the screws were in, I drilled the remaining holes through the louvers and hood together. This is why I said earlier that marking the screw holes at the beginning was a waste of time.

Attachments

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Looks great! :thumb:

I'd be waaaaay too chicken to try cutting (or letting Mike cut) my hood! :eek:

·
Administrator
41,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear what you are saying about cutting the hood, my wife didn't want to watch. I figured if I messed it up, I could pick up a replacement off Craigslist for $200 or so.

I forgot to mention, the removal for the job was super easy. The 4 torx screws on the hinges are the same size as the ones for the door pins. Take those out and un-plug the windshield washer hose and that's it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hey, I made my brand new 85 Toyota 4x4 a convertible back in the day. Cutting a hood is child's play ;)

Looks good. I likey.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Beastmaster:

Looks amazing! Noticed you have Truck-lite LED headlights...how do you like them? I'm considering some...thinking about the Speaker ones too but lean towards the Truck-lite

Andy

·
Registered
650 Posts
Beastmaster: Looks amazing! Noticed you have Truck-lite LED headlights...how do you like them? I'm considering some...thinking about the Speaker ones too but lean towards the Truck-lite Andy
There's a great comparison article for headlights on Pirate4x4 currently.

OP that looks great, and thanks for the write up!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks great! I like those fenders too! Simple, sturdy looking and effective. Where did you get them?

·
Administrator
41,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beastmaster:

Looks amazing! Noticed you have Truck-lite LED headlights...how do you like them? I'm considering some...thinking about the Speaker ones too but lean towards the Truck-lite

Andy

Mine are a couple of years old and I hear they have improved since then. Overall, I like them and I almost never notice the flicker that everyone rants about. The only thing that bugs me is that each light has a "hot spot" that produces a bright "V" when shined up close on a wall/garage door, etc.

Looks great! I like those fenders too! Simple, sturdy looking and effective. Where did you get them?

They are the Ace wide tube fenders

Looks really good, thanks for taking the time to write up a post

Thanks for the good words :thumb:

On a side note, I went to the store the other day and I waited in the Jeep for my wife. I could see heat rising from the vents in the hood. Well, it looks like it’s working as advertised.

·
Registered
874 Posts
That looks really good! I went with the Daystar vents on esthetics, having a white hood but yours is the best PS Install I have seen, by far.

For those contemplating cutting their hood, be it for vents or for an AEV snorkel, if you have a compressor a $25 dollar Harbor Freight metal nibbler is money well spent.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Beastmaster, Excellent write up. Just a heads up, you may want to go back and make sure each of your corners are rounded with a dremel. If the corners are not rounded the vibration from the hood will cause cracks at the corners and will continue to run across the hood. I've seen this first hand on another Jeep. The directions ought to tell you to cut to the middle of the hole where you used the hole saw. When I first cut mine, I cut to the outsides and had to go back with a dremel and round each cut out.

·
Administrator
41,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Beastmaster, Excellent write up. Just a heads up, you may want to go back and make sure each of your corners are rounded with a dremel. If the corners are not rounded the vibration from the hood will cause cracks at the corners and will continue to run across the hood. I've seen this first hand on another Jeep. The directions ought to tell you to cut to the middle of the hole where you used the hole saw. When I first cut mine, I cut to the outsides and had to go back with a dremel and round each cut out.
Very good point, I hadn't thought of that. I think I'm good but I'll go back and check anyway.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Cutting into the hood, terrifying! It looks great. If you get a chance could you post a picture of what the louvers look like from the driver seat as if you were driving?
I would love to do this. Adding the star is a really nice touch. Thx for sharing. Awesome

1 - 20 of 22 Posts