Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had issues with the Jeep and basically solved them. I won't go into every detail, but basically after changing the carb to an MC2150, as well as performing the Nutter Bypass everything was tip top. All of a sudden, the gremlins returned and no start..no spark, blah blah blah.After basically replacing EVERY component in the ignition system, and the problem returns....I decided to change the distributor to a points based system. She started right up! Ran smooth, beautiful...then nothing. NOTHING! It escapes me. Why would it start and run..then stall out and not start again?? What could it be? 12 volts was found where it was supposed to I guess and even with that...NOTHING! The wiring diagram in my Haynes manual sucks...might as well as be written in Greek for crying out loud. It should work. The engine is the same as the 74 CJ,,,a 258 I6...The computer , ICM, is bypassed..not a factor. I basically made it a 74 CJ from a 1990 YJ. The only thing I can think of is a bad wire somewhere, or a bad connection somewhere in the depths of the electrical system. I knew what I was buying...an older rig that might need some repairs and TLC from time to time. No sweat. But this has me over a barrel. Should I change the wiring harness too? Replace the 90 harness with a 74? I dont know. Im sick of throwing money away. Maybe go wire to wire? I would need a decent, kinda easy to read wiring schematic to do this successfully. Does anybody know where to get one? Or better yet, what wires I could check to maybe flush out the demon inside? What wires matter after doing the Nutter and bypassing the ICM and such.....

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
ok..you have a points distributor..are you getting fire to your plugs ?? I would guess,no ( if the plugs are firing then it's probably the timing which could include the advance weights in the distributor)..with the cap off and some one cranking it over,are your points sparking as they open ?? if yes then check your rotor and cap..if no then see if you have voltage at the plus terminal on your coil..if you have voltage there then either the coil is bad or the wire going from the negative coil terminal to the distributor is bad..if no power at positive coil terminal then run a wire to it that gets power when the ignition is turned on

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a simular problem and your right, the Haynes manual sucks. I can't locate a wiring diagram showing connections from switch to coil to distributor. I'm getting a weak spark to the plugs and the spark seems intermittant. Maybe going to an earlier distributor is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
you can boy an HEI stile on ebay for less than $100. and be done with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts