Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a couple of weeks since this happened and it is now fixed, but I just can't get the insanity of it all out of my mind.
Our 2005 TJ Auto transmission with 50K would not start the other day and the shift lever was easily moved (ie no detents). Luckily it was in our driveway. I went to this forum and Scarface solved my problem.
What happened was the shift lever had fallen off of the shifting mechanism. Locate it under the Jeep on the drivers side by the oil pan. It is held on with a $5.63 plastic grommet like fitting. It is an absolute certainty that this grommet will eventually get brittle and break and the shift cable will immediately fall off. If the Jeep was in park, then it will start but will not go into gear and you can't push it. If the Jeep was in some other gear when this happens then you can push it but it won't start. I find this unbelievable especially for a vehicle that advertises itself as it does.
I bought both fittings they had in stock at the dealership. I will never leave home again without one of these in my glovebox. Scarface suggested a zip tie for a temporary fix but I didn't get it tight enough and it fell off. I would suggest some flexible wire as a no go item until one has an extra grommet fitting in the glove box. Just sayin.......

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Damn autos lol.I cant believe they rely on a plastic clip for something so important

·
Registered
654 Posts
Glad you got 'er fixed for under $10! Here's the thing - plastic ages. Were it me, I would have waited about 6 years to buy the next one (you got 8 out of the original). Then again, were it me, I'd have forgotten about it by then, so...well done, sir.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I too have an '05 TJ and same thing happened to me. After I searched this forum, this is a picture of my solution. I was sure not going to depend on that little plastic dealie bob again. Seeing your new thread, made me go under the TJ and check up on my fix. Works perfect, shifts completely normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Somewhat related but I had a 2002 Saturn manual and the same thing happened.I was driving!!! Luckily it was at least stuck in first gear and I could drive it off the road.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I too have an '05 TJ and same thing happened to me. After I searched this forum, this is a picture of my solution. I was sure not going to depend on that little plastic dealie bob again. Seeing your new thread, made me go under the TJ and check up on my fix. Works perfect, shifts completely normal.
So what goes in place of that pin you added? Is it a plastic version of what you have?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well I know what I am going to be looking at Friday. Thanks for the heads up mine is an 05 from the south (TX, HI) so I am sure the heat for the last 8 years has wreaked a little havoc on those parts also.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So what goes in place of that pin you added? Is it a plastic version of what you have?
No, not a plastic version of what I have. I modified mine to do the same job as the stock set up. I just followed the advice/instructions of fellow forum members. I googled "Jeep Wrangler TJ shift linkage".....a lot of info and pictures.

·
KMG 365
918 Posts
I also did the same modification as SandDevil93. My linkage broke approximately a year ago. There is a good write up over on JF. That write up will tell you exactly what to buy. I bought 2 of everything and put one set in the glove box. If anything fails then I can completely replace it. Some hints for this modification. The nut that holds the bracket on the transmission is square. Do not loose that. Just loosen the bolt enough till you can slip the bracket off. The bracket only goes back on one way not to hard to figure out. With the bracket it will be best for a drill press or a bench vice to hold it to drill the hole in it. If you feel you may mess it up then you can buy another bracket and drill out the new bracket. Part number for the bracket is 52109623AB. It's about $15.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Had that happen on my 1st car, a 1992 Jetta. I could shift front and back, but not to the side. I had just bought a friends totaled VW, so I drove it 45+ miles with only 2nd and 3rd to get the piece.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Carry a chopstick with you too. The plastic rod inside the shifter, for the interlock, is sure to break also.
My chopsick has been performing flawlessly for over 4 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts