Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Commercial Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this soft top came with the jeep when I bought it, this is my first time busting it out. For the past 2 days I've tried getting it on 100%, and I know they can be a pita. I left it out in the 65-70 degree sun all day and have even gone so far as to use a heat gun while stretching it and it just won't go. I don't know what brand if not OEM, I can't find any markings.

If I put the front on first the back is about 2-3" from reaching tub.

If I put the rear on first the front header is about 2" from the proper seat.

I'm wondering if this is a top for a YJ or something, but I don't know how to tell. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If I'm not misaken, that's a Bestop Supertop. I don't have that specific top, but I do have a Bestop soft top with Bestop hardware.

When you put the soft top on, you're supposed to get all the fabric attachment points connected and then tighten it with the metal frame. It looks to me that you've got the frame already rigid and you're fighting against it to get the fabric connected.

Does this instruction manual look like what you have?

http://www.bestop.com/images/installation_guides/54720.pdf

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Undo everything. Put the latches in the front. But leave the latches un latched. Go to the back corners. Pull down on the back frame to give you some material to tuck the back in. Then go to the front and latch the latches. You are missing the door surrounds in the picture. You do have them right?

·
Commercial Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info!

It is a TJ btw and I'm missing some items like the door surrounds, but I'm just testing the fit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a supertop on my tj and it has different hardware than yours. Mine doesnt use the factory hardware, but the hardware from besttop which is different.

·
Commercial Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it on, now I'm scared to lock the front clips because of how tight it is, it feels like I'm triggering a mouse trap...

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
it's the back corners by the rear break lights should not be attached yet. that's why it was hard to shut. next time close the top, snap it shut, then pop in the back end corners by the tail lights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you can put pressure down on the back top of the soft top to help you get those back corners snapped in.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a 97 and researched the tops. Some makers of tops say 97-06, that isnt always the case. My first top was super tight like yours appears to be. I got it go on, plus side once on-no noise. well that one wore out after a few years and i got a new one. it was ALOT easier to install but is more noisy on the road. But the first one like yours was a real PITA!!! i had to attach the front clips, then double check the door channel were out. then i would release the HULK on the rear and pull and attach. IF it helps, when i first attached i had to use a Soft mallet dead blow to get it to seat in the rear channel. TAP LIGHTLY

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
it's the back corners by the rear break lights should not be attached yet. that's why it was hard to shut. next time close the top, snap it shut, then pop in the back end corners by the tail lights.
That's incorrect, see post #6. You are really going to fight those corners in if the latchs are down.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It should be really tight at first. Almost drum like. It will stretch after a while.
This. I just put a new top on my jeep, I went cheap and with smittybilt, the first time putting it on it took TWO people to get it all situated. One (me) had to push it forward and backward while the second latched everything, then pulling those levers down took body weight. I admit I was a little nervous too. I left the top on for about 2 weeks, and often in the sun when it was nice out (weekend vehicle). Now the top goes on smooth as it should, very simple to do it with 1 person.
That's incorrect, see post #6. You are really going to fight those corners in if the latchs are down.
Post 6 is correct, put the latches on NOT tightened down and fasten the back in. I pull on the fabric from the middle to give myself leverage, start with one end of the plastic getting put in and then moving around the corner, simple.
See post #12

Works for me every time.
I agree with the above, you're going to have a bad time this way.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
If this is an OEM top, you will still need the door surrounds and tailgate bar to make it work. Is there a hard plastic strip where your hand is in the 2nd pic?

·
Commercial Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't have the door surrounds or windows, which I knew, but I needed to get it on and ensure it's the right top before buying the (expensive) surrounds and windows. Besides, I don't mind running it without those parts for now as long as it is secure. I'm letting it sit in the sun today and hopefully it will stretch a bit more before I clamp it. I hopeful it fits well, so I can sell my hard top for more suspension mods...

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Door surrounds used go for around 100.00 on the for sale section of the various jeep forums and ebay. Make sure the knobs are included.

Windows, you need to verify what year the top is. Side window zipper orientation, color/pattern and fabric thickness changed 97-02 denim (1 slider on the top and the other side is on the window), 03-06 diamond sailcloth (both sliders are on the top)

Hopefully you do not have a 01-02. Some of those are 4-ply sailcloth diamond pattern as opposed to the 3-ply sailcloth diamond pattern 03-06. The problem is finding windows01-02 zippers in diamond sailcloth. I had one of thos tops.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts