Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I just had my entire rear end done so that is ruled out) Im getting a metal on metal sound, when i accelerate it accelerates, and the same for deceleration. It sounds very thin though, not a heavy metal clunk, but almost like sheet metal grinding. But since it increases as speed increases it must be something in the drivetrain. Ive looked and prayed for little odds and ends but i havent found anything. Im praying its nothing too serious but its sounding like it. Any advice or experience before i throw it to the shop along with an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
347 Posts
The chain in the transfer case may be stretched and grinding against the case. If you put it in four wheel drive and the noise changes or stops that is likely the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
also, check the dust shields on all 4 brakes, as well as the brakes themselves
X2 The sound this makes is kinda concerning, I've had it happen more than a few times (rock/pebble jammed between the shield and the rotor), until you get to know what it sounds like it can really freak you out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts