Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the Upsate know if Horse Pasture Road to Jumping Off Rock is clear since the remnants of Hurricane Irma went through?

I'm thinking of going up there this weekend if I don't have to work.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Go for it. Remember, hunting season starts soon so other roads will be open as well.

·
Registered
678 Posts
For anyone trying to go, I just went today and a gate was closed towards the southern entrance. I got on the trail off of 178 near NC and got most of the way, only to have to double back and do the entire thing in reverse. Just fair warning!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone share details on how to get to Horse Pasture Rd? I'm not too far from 178 and maps is showing go west just north of Rocky Bottom SC. Is this unmaintianed dirt or ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone share details on how to get to Horse Pasture Rd? I'm not too far from 178 and maps is showing go west just north of Rocky Bottom SC. Is this unmaintianed dirt or ?

Thanks
I know I'm really late to the conversation, but thought I'd toss this in for others that are just finding this thread:

To ride Horse Pasture Rd, DO NOT try to start on the south end of the trail... This part of the road is the gated entrance to a resort community. Instead, start at the north side of the trail, just off Hwy 178. On Google Maps, search "Eastatoe Gorge Trail Parking."

It's an out-and-back trail that took us about 3 hours round trip (with a few stops along the way).

Duke Energy maintains the trail just enough to get some of their trucks through. It's bumpy and a little rutted out in places (definitely not somewhere you'd want to take the Prius) but overall not bad.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I'm really late to the conversation, but thought I'd toss this in for others that are just finding this thread:

To ride Horse Pasture Rd, DO NOT try to start on the south end of the trail... This part of the road is the gated entrance to a resort community. Instead, start at the north side of the trail, just off Hwy 178. On Google Maps, search "Eastatoe Gorge Trail Parking."

It's an out-and-back trail that took us about 3 hours round trip (with a few stops along the way).

Duke Energy maintains the trail just enough to get some of their trucks through. It's bumpy and a little rutted out in places (definitely not somewhere you'd want to take the Prius) but overall not bad.
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Horsepasture

Some other info.
Road to Jump off rock open year round. Gates beyond there close for summer May 10th, so this weekend last one before then.
Been up there twice this spring, roads in "good" shape, nothing any vehicle with any kind of clearance can't handle.
Was a little bummed because last time I went, the road down to the old boat landing was closed, where I really wanted to go, because they were doing controlled burning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts