Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upgraded/modified to a Rubicon or Sahara equivalent, was it worth it?

For me, I'm still on the fence. In terms of resale, then NO. But I don't plan on selling. This JK will probably get passed down to my daughter when she's of age to begin driving. Within the last year, I've added the following to my base model 2-door automatic with A/C.

Rancho 2" Lift w/ RS 9000 shocks
Rancho F+R adjustable track bars
Rancho Geometry correction brackets
Terraflex Gussets
Terraflex sleeves
Mopar High Rise Fenders
(5x) 325/65r18 BFG KO2's (summer)
(5x) Ultra Motorsports 18x9
(5x) JL Rubicon take-off's w/ 285's (winter)
Smittybilt tire carrier
crush sleeve eliminators
Detroit TrueTrac's & 4.56 gears
Flashcal
Banks CAI
Magnaflow axle-back
Quadratec LED's (headlight & Fog)
grab handles
Crown RT28028 side lights
BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth scanner
Torque app
hardtop
Hardtop harness
splash guards, rain visors, trailer hitch
floor mats

Now, I bought the 18' in June of 2018, just when the JL's were hitting dealer lots so I figure I got it for a decent price. But all in with the accessories above, I'm at just over $32,000. On the dealer floor at the time of sale was a 6-speed Rubicon softop with an asking price of $39,500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The way I look at it (and I just bought a JL Sport S) is that I can drive it the way it is and upgrade as I go. I did end up getting basically everything from a Sahara that I would want from the factory (Cold weather, Tech group and Dana 44 with LSD) I've added LED Tails, headlights and turns. Wired it up for DRLs.

In the end, I'll be more upgraded than a stock Rubicon. I'm already looking at the Metalcloak gamechanger with at least 35's.

My feeling is buy low and modify it exactly the way you want it. Do it right the first time and you'll come out cheaper.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
IMO 37s and up you should buy the sport cuz you should be upgrading axles anyway.

35s and down you're probably good with the Rubicon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,684 Posts
We started with a Sahara, because that had the base package we wanted. The things that aren't as easy to add later it already had. The stuff a Rubi has that we wanted could all be added fairly easily. And for the most part we are way past a Rubi now. Sure, it wasn't cheap. But it would have been even more expensive if we had started with a Rubi, as the original purchase price would have been more. And we still would have replaced much of what you pay extra for with a Rubi. If you want what a Rubi is, you can't build one as cheaply as you can buy one. But if you want more than what a Rubi is there is a point where you are better off starting with a Sport or Sahara. It depends on how far past a Rubi you are going.
I try not to think about how much we have in it. But we are having fun. For me much of the fun is in the build.

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
IMO it really comes down to how much money you have and the time frame you plan to do everything. I started with a RubiX that I got for less than a standard Rubicon. Over the last almost 6 years I have slowly modded it. Before this build is finished the entire drive train will be replaced.

But here is the deal, from day one I have wheeled this. IMO the 4:1 transfer case and locker is worth the price of admission. It has allowed me to wheel the technical stuff even when I did not have the proper gears when I went to 35's. I also don't ever plan to get rid of it. Once you commit to fully modding a rig the money invested can't be recovered. I could of bought a 2nd rig for what I have in mine now and before it is completed a 3rd rig.

So at the end of the day it come down to time and money. If it is going to take years to complete the build start with a Rubi, if you are going to do everything in a short period of time then a sport.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I knew I would go big, so a basic Jeep was all I needed. That came in the form of a Willys Wheeler.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts

For me, I'm still on the fence. In terms of resale, then NO. But I don't plan on selling. This JK will probably get passed down to my daughter when she's of age to begin driving. Within the last year, I've added the following to my base model 2-door automatic with A/C.

Terraflex Gussets
Terraflex sleeves
Mopar High Rise Fenders
Smittybilt tire carrier
crush sleeve eliminators
Flashcal
Banks CAI
Magnaflow axle-back
grab handles
Torque app
hardtop
Hardtop harness
floor mats

Now, I bought the 18' in June of 2018, just when the JL's were hitting dealer lots so I figure I got it for a decent price. But all in with the accessories above, I'm at just over $32,000. On the dealer floor at the time of sale was a 6-speed Rubicon softop with an asking price of $39,500.

My opinion...
Any way you slice it, you're better off starting with a Rubicon. Even if you plan on building up and surpassing the Rubi with D60 axles and all the rest of that.

The reasoning is simple....

Resale value on rubicon parts is much higher and in much more demand than sport parts. You have a tough time even giving away sport parts, but meanwhile a dana 44 front axle with locker will sell in about 15 minutes. A stock 4:1 xfer case will sell even faster. Rubicon wheels... heck, mine sold in less than 24 hours and covered about 75% of my new wheel price tag. There must be a million sport owners out there looking to turn their ride into a rubicon. Questtion though.... how many Rubicon owners out there looking to turn their ride into a sport?

Your sport parts.... Meh.... pretty much garbage right from the start.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
The Rubicon “branding” alone carries value to a lot of people so from a resale perspective I can see where Rubi could be the right choice if you intend to sell it down road. A similarly built Sport model would not recoup the costs to get it to that point when you sell it.

If you want to build it slowly and keep it start with the least amount of options you can live with and build at your own pace. If you intend to sell it or want to start at a higher trim go Rubi.

True, Rubi parts will sell fatser, but why to buy what you dont need in first place.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Sounds like we are headed down similar paths with our 2 door builds! 👍🏼

Mine is a 2011 6 speed and I haven’t done gearing yet. My brakes and suspension needed attention and I am building it slowly due to budget and time constraints. I noticed you didn’t list control arm upgrades...any thoughts on that being in the future for your build?

I’m doing battery and ball joints next. Looking at the Odyssey Extreme and TF HD BJ’s.

Cheers!

Terraflex Gussets
Terraflex sleeves
Mopar High Rise Fenders
Smittybilt tire carrier
crush sleeve eliminators
Flashcal
Banks CAI
Magnaflow axle-back
grab handles
Torque app
hardtop
Hardtop harness
floor mats

·
Registered
639 Posts
I went through this debate when i was buying my JKU in 2015. I was buying new so I could buy with the options I wanted and didn't have upgrades someone else bolted on.

From a price standpoint, the JKU was about 10K less than the JKU Rubicon Hardrock I purchased. What pushed me right to the JKU:

1) Gear box in the JKU is geared different - the cost to upgrade to the Rubi Rock Trac from the command trac would be very expensive.

2) Front axle - D30 vs D44. Cost would be about 3K at least to upgrade the front axle.
3) Rear locker - about $1000
4) Regear to at least 4.10s $1000
5) Alpine Nav - $900?
6) Upgrade to leather heated seats (leather is needed because I hate dog-hair on my seats) Cost - a least 2 or 3K
7) JKU had bumpers I liked so no need to change them, but I did buy maximus-3 parts for about 700, so I saved maybe a couple hundred.

Also got the cool Hard Rock hood and other features and of course the badge. A few other things that were nice adds was the AC electrical port, till soft top, etc. Things that where not available in the sport.

So - while you could upgrade the heck out of your jeep, unless you change out the 4x4 system, you can't claim you've upgraded a sport, or even sahara to a rubicon.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Cost for a brand new Rubicon transfer case for me was $1200. Threw it in myself - heavy and awkward but simplistic.

So I could've paid 6k more for the Rubicon and gotten an extra $1500 for the axles and saved $1200 on the transfer case, maybe $500 extra for wheels / tires, but I'd still be down over $2000.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
For me much of the fun is in the build.
This is how I ended up with a garage full of old cars I never drive. :drinks:

Questtion though.... how many Rubicon owners out there looking to turn their ride into a sport?
That's "a" question but the real question is how many Sport owners are looking for replacement parts. Even the worthless blow-mold rear bumper sold in a couple days. I learned that any Wrangler wheels are real popular with owners of older Cherokees.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I bought a sport and built it. In someways not as good as a rubicon but in some ways better. (4.88s and like my arb locker better)

It is more capable than I need for still less than a rubicon so I’m happy.

Hindsight though, I probably would have just got a rubicon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
True, Rubi parts will sell fatser, but why to buy what you dont need in first place.

You won't recoup hardly ANY money with sport parts. They pretty much end up in the garbage can. It's a straight loss. With a rubi... sure you'll pay more initially but the pay off comes when you sell the parts.

This all of course is assuming you plan on building UP from a rubi.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
From a price standpoint, the JKU was about 10K less than the JKU Rubicon Hardrock I purchased. What pushed me right to the JKU:

yeah... it's been priced out several times on other threads.

There is simply no way you can (honestly) turn a sport into a Rubicon with aftermarket parts for cheaper than just the straight out purchase price of a Rubicon itself.

Now if you're willing to sacrifice a little with used parts and skimp the build a little in areas that aren't important to you then you have a fighting chance at a comparable price tag... but then it's not really a TRUE Rubicon.

·
Registered
879 Posts
For me my 2007 Unlimited X (Sport) model was the way to go since I wound up upgrading to ProRock 60s and highly modifying everything else. For my wife the Rubi was the correct choice because she doesn't want to upgrade to large tires so the D44s with lockers are great.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought a sport and built it. In someways not as good as a rubicon but in some ways better. (4.88s and like my arb locker better)

It is more capable than I need for still less than a rubicon so I’m happy.

Hindsight though, I probably would have just got a rubicon.
If you bought the Rubicon, wouldn't you still have done other mods? It seems the mod bug bites us and then we can't help but shop Quadratec online all day and night dreaming of more.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
You won't recoup hardly ANY money with sport parts. They pretty much end up in the garbage can. It's a straight loss. With a rubi... sure you'll pay more initially but the pay off comes when you sell the parts.

This all of course is assuming you plan on building UP from a rubi.

I recouped $1000 for the front axle, $800 for the factory WW wheels and KMs, $80 for the driveshafts, $80 for the rock rails. So about $2K total. Guess I should’ve thrown those parts in the garbage can instead. By the way Bob do you have a check for two grand you could send me since that amount of money is garbage you wouldn’t miss it at all.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts