Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of my factory trimmed fenders and what a more "oem" look. I was leaning towards the Smitty flats, for cost, but afraid they are to tiny.

The BW flats like factory almost... Those that have them, you like them?? And who has best price? Would rather spend with forum vendor over amazon.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I just installed mine two days ago...I absolutely love them! I found the best price with Morris 4x4 center, PM the owner(Chris) here on WF for a quote.

I'll try to get some pics up later.

A little tip: watch youtube videos first...the directions have pics but they are in b&w and hard to see what the text refers too. youtube made it much easier.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
On one of our last trail rides I hit a tree with the left rear stock fender. It popped off breaking the push-pin/clips that hold it on. A few dollars in clips and it was back on. If it had been bolted to the jeep like most after market fenders are I am thinking it would have done major sheet metal damage. Made me re-think my goal to switch to the BW flares... Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
On one of our last trail rides I hit a tree with the left rear stock fender. It popped off breaking the push-pin/clips that hold it on. A few dollars in clips and it was back on. If it had been bolted to the jeep like most after market fenders are I am thinking it would have done major sheet metal damage. Made me re-think my goal to switch to the BW flares... Something to think about.
Exactly why I didn't go with the metal ones.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I am leaning towards the MCE fenders. Plastic as well but I do believe a better warranty. These do not look much like stock.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Exactly why I didn't go with the metal ones.
There is good advice here. If you expect to rub 'em I suggest going one way or the other with your fenders... flexible or armored.

Not all plastic fenders = flexible. I had a set of the plastic Bushwackers. They looked great and were really sturdy, so sturdy in fact that the first gentle rub on a boulder and they bent my sheet metal. The stock flares are forgiving, more so if you trim them. I have seen the MCE flares fold like paper and spring back without any damage to the body.

Not all metal fenders = armor. No way would I go with metal flares which attach to the sheet metal... They will survive, your soda can thick sheet metal won't. Thanks to the Bushwackers I now run a set of Metalcloak Overlines. The fronts pass through the sheet metal and attach to the sub frame. Because there isn't a sub frame conveniently located in the rear (this is where most "armored" fenders fall short IMO), the Metalcloak's attach to the incorporated body mounted armor plate.

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
NEVER AGAIN!! EVER! I ordered them,front and back, a neither came with mounting hardware. I called BW and left a message. No call back. I sent an email, no response! I called during business hours and I was told that they don't leave warehouse without hardware...essentially calling me a liar. I asked for the clips, rubber strip and screws, they wanted me to pay for them. I said I already did but didn't receive them. After arguing with them they said they'd send them out for free THIS Time. I never received them, I called and they claim they sent them out then hung up. I ended up buying the clips and screws then finding the rubber strip on line. The fronts were off as soon as I put the MC arched fenders on. I scraped the BW label off the back, and as soon as I decide whether to do a stretch the backs will be off. The quality and mounting design is good for the mall not the trail. NEVER AGAIN will BW get a penny from me!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Come on Sinister 6, just say what's on your mind. lol Thank god I read this post because I was seriously thinking about BW, MCE and Metalcloak. Scratch BW off my list. Thank you JKGOOB for the insight on the MCE and Metalcloak.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
NEVER AGAIN!! EVER! I ordered them,front and back, a neither came with mounting hardware. I called BW and left a message. No call back. I sent an email, no response!
NOT acceptable customer service in this day and age. It colors how I feel and even if so inclined would not now be purchasing from Bushwacker! Too bad because I like the LOOKS of their products.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've been thinking of replacing mine as well, but it sure won't be with Bushwacker now. There's no excuse in the world for that kind of treatment from the manufacturer.

They just went from the top of my list to off the list.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Good post for me...thanks you for saying all this. I want to do aluminium fenders but am worried about rubbing a tree and denting up my body metal.

So it seems that Metalcloak attaches the best way. Any other you know attached the proper way so they don't dent the body work?

thanks!

There is good advice here. If you expect to rub 'em I suggest going one way or the other with your fenders... flexible or armored.

Not all plastic fenders = flexible. I had a set of the plastic Bushwackers. They looked great and were really sturdy, so sturdy in fact that the first gentle rub on a boulder and they bent my sheet metal. The stock flares are forgiving, more so if you trim them. I have seen the MCE flares fold like paper and spring back without any damage to the body.

Not all metal fenders = armor. No way would I go with metal flares which attach to the sheet metal... They will survive, your soda can thick sheet metal won't. Thanks to the Bushwackers I now run a set of Metalcloak Overlines. The fronts pass through the sheet metal and attach to the sub frame. Because there isn't a sub frame conveniently located in the rear (this is where most "armored" fenders fall short IMO), the Metalcloak's attach to the incorporated body mounted armor plate.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good post for me...thanks you for saying all this. I want to do aluminium fenders but am worried about rubbing a tree and denting up my body metal.

So it seems that Metalcloak attaches the best way. Any other you know attached the proper way so they don't dent the body work?

thanks!
During my research I had found that several manufactures attach their front fenders to the sub frame... Poison Spyder, Crawler Concepts, River Raider (I think), etc. Unfortunately, many of these manufactures then simply attach the rear fenders to the sheet metal :crazy: The sub frame/additional support in the rear is not as accessible. Since it was my rear quarter panel that was dented, I started looking for rear fenders which attached to body armor (instead of mounting underneath it). Crawler Conceptz makes a set of rear flares which are welded to their body armor for the four door, but not the two :jawdrop: otherwise they would have likely received my business. I have also heard that others will make them (custom work with corresponding lead times).

·
Registered
738 Posts
During my research I had found that several manufactures attach their front fenders to the sub frame... Poison Spyder, Crawler Concepts, River Raider (I think), etc. Unfortunately, many of these manufactures then simply attach the rear fenders to the sheet metal :crazy: The sub frame/additional support in the rear is not as accessible. Since it was my rear quarter panel that was dented, I started looking for rear fenders which attached to body armor (instead of mounting underneath it). Crawler Conceptz makes a set of rear flares which are welded to their body armor for the four door, but not the two :jawdrop: otherwise they would have likely received my business. I have also heard that others will make them (custom work with corresponding lead times).
Ok cool..thanks...I have a 4 door....so Metalkloak and Crawler Concepts fenders mount the the frame/subframe instead of the sheet metal...correct?

My local store was trying to sell me on the Poison Spyder fenders...had a Jeep there they just were finishing up...but if these do not mount to the frame/subframe and mount to sheet metal they are definitely out. They also showed me JCR fenders too. I do love the look and construction of Metalkloak fenders anyway so I'll probably end up with those.

·
Registered
661 Posts
@mdrums , as far as I know all MC, CC, & PS front flares mount to the subframe. Of the MC fenders, the "Overlines" include the body armor mounted rear fender. CC has only one model (but with different widths), but sells rear fenders separately or welded to their body armor (4 door only). PS has only one model (but with different widths), and sells rear fenders which include a bracket but, I cannot figure out how in the World the bracket adds any support to the fender. I have heard but not confirmed that upon request PS will weld a set of their rear fenders to their body armor (custom with lead time).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts