Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

So I like to think up and plan projects for my YJ, and I had one yesterday that seemed extremely promising. I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on it's feasibility.

The general idea is this: My YJ is currently way to loud to drive above 55-60 mph for any length of time. I don't necessarily mind it but after a few hours its drains on you and my wife hates it (even with ear plugs). So, I want to sound proof it as much as I can.

My plan was to use a Jeep carpet set kind of like this one here as a "top layer" of sorts.

I would start at the bottom, using a barrier layer like this one here to provide heat and sound proofing. I would then apply a mat product like FatMat to add another sound proof layer. Then I would apply a jute carpet layer to add more sound proofing (and comfort) before finishing it out with the carpet pads. I would cut everything out and follow the pre-cut shapes of the carpet pads and use velcro strips to apply them to the floor board. The main goal here is allowing the removal of the carpet if it gets soaked/muddy/or to remove BEFORE I get it muddy.

The final step would be to apply sound proofing foam to the (underside) roof of the hard top as an added layer.

Any reason why this would not work out? Do the products need to be touching the floorboard of the Jeep to actually work? The velcro would prop them up a bit. I found that the "pads" would be a touch over 1 inch thick (adding up the given thicknesses of the various products), which isn't bad at all. Total cost would be around $550 with everything (and that includes "new" seats from a cavalier or sunfire, because if I'm tearing everything apart, might as well fix that too).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Anything would help but remember...you can't polish a turd. Mine (89 YJ) is loud also and lots of it comes through the firewall and driveline (no floor covering at all). Being all steel, any sound will travel through the entire Jeep just like a Tunning Fork. It's the nature of the beast and anything you put there will get soaked or at least damp and start to smell. I'm a bit weird but I like the noise...it makes it ride like a Jeep. It just may be you have to buy the wife a new one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats true, it'll never be "quiet" in any sense but I can help it out a bit. plus, as long as the pads are removable easily I can keep them clean and dry to prevent mildew...hopefully

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
My yj is not loud at all w nothing but a single layer of factory carpet on the floor...

What sort of noise do you have?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think it'll definitely help. I removed the carpet and bedlined my interior. It is much louder inside now. The real noise comes when your topless and youre on a busy highway. It's the tires from the other cars that really start to hurt my ears. Invest in a hard top with full doors.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
carpet and floor mats trap moisture and rot out floor pans i dont run carpet in anything i drive including my Tacoma and 4Runner. The first mod i make to a new vehicle is rip the carpet and sound deadening mat out.

Reactions: maxtor

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
At 270,000 miles my carpeted yj has no rust in the floors at all.... same for my 370,000 mile truck and my 210,000 mile tj....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My yj is not loud at all w nothing but a single layer of factory carpet on the floor...

What sort of noise do you have?
Tons, because it has no carpet whatsoever. lol

I think it'll definitely help. I removed the carpet and bedlined my interior. It is much louder inside now. The real noise comes when your topless and youre on a busy highway. It's the tires from the other cars that really start to hurt my ears. Invest in a hard top with full doors.
I should point out I have a hardtop but soft windows. I'm working on the full doors.

At 270,000 miles my carpeted yj has no rust in the floors at all.... same for my 370,000 mile truck and my 210,000 mile tj....
Yea, plus the whole design is to allow the pads to come out and be dried/cleaned/clean the interior tub out.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
I'm a retired body technician and shop owner. I've chased vehicle noises all my career.

The greatest source of noise is wind. You're driving a box at highway speeds. I started with a soft top and that was way too noisy at highway speeds. I bought a hard top and ran with soft uppers. That was better but still too loud. Then I bought fiberglass hard uppers and that was even better, but I couldn't get them to seal to my satisfaction. Then I bought full doors and that was the greatest improvement. Now when we drive to town, Mrs. Lucky and I can carry on a conversation.
I still get a lot of wind noise because that's just the nature of these old heaps, plus I'm running a roof mounted basket.

If you're looking to make your Jeep quieter, anything you do to insulate it will help. Carpets will help a little. Professional undercoating might help a whisker. Sound pads on the floor and front interior firewall might give a bit of relief too.
Good gasketing around the doors and between the hard top and the body should help a lot.

If I'm alone, I turn my hearing aids off and turn the radio louder. UPStrades mentions tire noise from other vehicles. Running topless is noisy even in a 2018 JL.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Sixotwo and gat

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Op I didn't ask how much noise I asked what SORT of noise.... loud exhaust, vibrations, tires, wind, etc....

The closer to the source of the noise the easier it is to stop... example a quiet exhaust system is MUCH easier than sound deadening the whole jeep.... so again what sort of noise do you have.

The loudest thing on my yj is a small air leak between the windshield and hardtop that I have yet to address....

·
Registered
395 Posts
JonStevens;34034861 I got divorced in 2010 and have not had a noise problem since....[/QUOTE said:
This literally made me LOL.

Also having fender flares made it a tad bit quieter for me as well....Maxxis mud terrains really start roaring around 25mph

Square shapes are less aerodynamic than a circle...convert your front end to a CJ or TJ

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
^ wide wheels that stick way out make for more tire noise in the cab too....

·
Registered
609 Posts
I like the bed rug and the first layer mat, was thinking of doing the same thing but mainly because of heat, but I think a little over 1" over the entire floor seems way to thick to me. I know 1" doesn't sound like a lot but over the entire floor will seem odd once it's in there and I would think at that thick moisture will have a better chance to hang a little. Good luck with the project and please post back if you do it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Fat mat the fire wall and floor and then put down the padding then carpet. That’s the best you can do for the tub. Then your fighting all the things on a Jeep that create wind noise and their are a lot. It’ll be quieter but by no means car like.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I put Bedrug in my YJ at the beginning of the year and like it so far. But driving at highway speeds got much better for me, as I bought upper door sliders and used them instead of the old plastic uppers. Now that the flapping noise just beside my ears is gone, I am able to enjoy my radio on the highway as well.

But obviously, the YJ will never be anywhere nearly as quiet as a normal modern car on the highway,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts