Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I guess this is my first official thread after many months of following and letting the excitement for the new ride build. Thank goodness for the JK waiting room.

I have done a bunch of browsing and only amassed bunches of different information about the way we take care of the exterior...

The time has come (probably overdue) for me to put the first coat of wax on but I have been suffering from paralysis by analysis. So many options and high tech stuff. I'd hate to put a coat of wax on only to regret it when i find something better and have to buff it all off for the "better" product - whatever that is.

What I would love is some of your favorite detailing products. If you could go back and start from scratch on a brand new JK, how would you do it? :Thanx:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Pinnacle carnauba wax is the top shelf but pricey. I use it on my bikes and it's amazing to say the least. Pinnacle on Black and Red vehicles makes it look wet. Zaino makes some real good stuff too.

I usually stay away from anything off the shelf that the auto parts stores carry just to be different.

·
Registered
823 Posts
First your post has some crazy stuff going on with it, at least on my computer. So many letters and numbers :O Second, the only detailing product I have ever used on my Jeep is MUD :D :thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Meguiars Sealant 2.0. Looks great. Carnauba lasts about 2 weeks or until te next time you wash it, but works nicely on top of Sealant.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
If your avatar is your Jeep, I see you have plastic fenders. Keep in mind that there are some waxes that will stain that beautiful plastic. You can get other products to make it black again...

Synthetic waxes seem to be doing well with not staining. I know a lot of people here use the Turtle Wax Ice products. I picked up Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. It also doesn't stain the plastic. I used it this weekend, it was easy to apply, and it beaded water nicely the next day when it rained. I don't know how long it will last or should last.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been using the ICE line and wish I had it for previous vehicles. The wax lasts a long time and when you use the car wash in subsequent washes, it looks like it was just waxed again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Opticoat your jeep, Works amazing and is actually harder then your clear coat giving it some scratch resistance on the trail. You will need to properly prep your Jeep first (clay,polish,ipa wipe,apply Opticoat) You know those permanent coatings the stealer tries to sell you? which in reality is nothing more then a polish/glaze/wax all in one. Well this is actually real and is not a gimmick. Its a permanent coating!

Optimum Opti Coat 2 Permanant Paint Coating

and for all your detailing questions join this forum, definetely join if you choose to go the opticoat way!

Detailing Bliss Forum - News

or if you dont want a permanant coating you can try wolfs hardbody, 24 months of protection and some scratch resistant properties! :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Haven't tried any of these yet... Jeep barely has a coat of dust on it after 7 months... Had a few passing showers take care of the rest. That being said, I can't tell you from experience, but from looking around and getting info on forums, here are the products I will be using once she needs a good hose-down:

Turtle Wax Ice Wash
followed by
SmartWax SmartOne Waterless Wash Wax and Sealant
Finished by
303 on plastics
and
Klasse All-In-One on painted surfaces

If you have leather, people swear by Lexol.

When I wash my vehicles, it usually takes me at least 2 days... That's why there are some redundant washes (Turtle -> Smart). Usually I'll do the heavy wash with a quick dry one day and do all the finishing and interior the next... Just isn't enough daylight to get everything done in one day. I like my vehicles to shine better than new if I'm going to take the time to wash it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use only Autoglym products on all my cars. Not the cheapest and not the most expensive but I like them.

All down to personal choice.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Here's what I do, and my jeep's paint looks phenomenal...sans some piney pinstripes I've already put on her. But I keeps her nice when I can.

First off, check out collinite 845 wax. This stuff is awesome. A little goes a long way, won't leave white residue on your black plastic fenders (I have had that happen with other caranuba's and I have sport so...), and it lasts really long, looks great, and beads water awesome.

Here is a good applicator and microfiber towel, and some collinite (this bottle will last a couple years) for $15.99 on amazon.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 Combo : Amazon.com : Automotive

Any, here is what I do to my jeep.

Use only good microfiber towels or applicators, including for drying (microfiber waffle towels are good for drying).
For wax I like to use these for application:

Amazon.com: Meguiar's HiTech Applicator Pad - Pack of 2: Automotive

Oh before I start look into the two bucket method... it helps keep you from creating swirls in your paint when washing. if you don't know what swirls are consider yourself luck and go on with life.

1 - Wash jeep with meguairs gold class and a microfiber mit with two buckets and gritt gaurds, then dry with a nice microfiber waffle towel (I get the on at autozone which is cheap and works well). sometimes i use a leaf blower to get most of the water off first.
2 - Clay Bar - This step I only do once a year... Use quick detailer spray or something like Optimum No Rinse as a lubricator and clay entire jeep. This really makes the wax adhere to the paint.
3 - Paint correction - this depends on the condition of your paint. Sometimes I use Meguairs Swirlx to remove light swirls and as a polish. Is a very light abrasive that smooths out fine scratches in the clear coat
4 - two coats of wax - I use collinite 845. Seriously google the stuff, tons of people swear by it. I've been using the same bottle for 3 years and I've waxed my jeep twice with it and about six times with the vehicle i had before the jeep.
5 - Then final surface prep...I like meguairs quick detailer. just spray on and wipe off with a microfiber towel.
6 - stare at jeep and drink beer.

there are some other steps you can do for different things, but this is a lot trust me. plan about 6 hours for a seriously good detail. I just did mine to prepare for the salty roads in the NE winter...

If you're doing this by hand, not using a DA buffer, then this should be plenty. The porter cable DA is on my want list but there are tow many mods I want to spend money on.

I stay away from hardcore polish cause I did it once, it was a major PITA, and I really didn't see a difference then just waxing.

But anyway, if you only heed one piece of advice, let it be the collinite. the stuff is awesome. just remember it should be liquidy when you use it and put it on light. depending on temperature it can be hard in the bottle. just fill a glass with hot water and stick the collinite in there for a bit before use. then shake it up really good. it should have a liquid consistency.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Oh and double on the 303 Aerospace for the the fenders. I have the forum to thank for that stuff. All I can say is wow. My fenders looks better than the day I bought them. Soft-top too. Just keep it off the paint, it will streak your wax job. I used a piece of cardboard while spraying it on.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Dirt and mud works great for jeep detailing :D
This covers my cleaning/detail schedule for 364 days a year ;)

On that ONE day though, I wash it at the coin op, put it in the garage and clay bar it to remove a year's wheeling (yeah, it does that).

I second the Turtle ICE comment above. It's cheap, you can get it anywhere, and it's super easy to deal with. you can literally put it on absolutely everything on your jeep without any worries.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
None of my 4wd vehicles ever gets more than a wash and dry. The paint gets scratched up by sagebrush and other high desert shrubs.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
First properly clean your Jeep, removing all dirt and contaminants. Any good wax will do. I like to moisten the applicator first then apply a SMALL amount of wax to the applicator and work it into the applicator before applying the wax to the Jeep. Of course take your time, work in 2-3 foot areas, enjoy the process.

PS: don't wax anything that is flat black.

·
Registered
269 Posts
P21S if I am hand waxing. Adam's fine polish and super sealant if I use the machine. Adam's metal polish for wheels. Black exterior trim gets Black Wow. Interior leather gets Connolly leather care. Vinylex on interior vinyl, plastic and rubber.
Those are pretty much the best things I have found over the years for each. I don't see any products listed in previous posts that I haven't tried. 303 isn't bad. I prefer Black Wow and vinylex though.
Run a line of blue masking tape along the edge between your plastic pieces and the parts you want to wax and you don't have to worry about any product staining the plastic. If your doing it by hand just keep a clean rag in your other hand and use it to keep wax off the plastic.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I waited about 20 minutes after getting her home to clay bar and wax her. I read that there is no need to wait for paint to "cure" due to new catalysts and stuff. It is supposed to be cured when it rolls off the line.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts