Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am a new member and just got my first jeep 3 weeks ago. I am loving it but need to start buying stuff for it (feeling the itch lol). Spider web shade Was my first purchase, and now i am looking into some new A/T tires. I am pretty set on Duratracs but i am unsure if i should go 265/70/17 or 285/70/17. Heres where the title comes into play, if i run the 285's i know i will have to run spacers as i currently have no plan to lift the truck. How safe are spacers? I used to own a g35 sedan and used to know people who would run them with no troubles. Is there any other way to make the 285's fit? Or should i play it safe and go 265's? Any input and help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, this truck will not be used as a crazy offroad rig. The most it will see is beach driving and some trails upstate new york.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Properly installed spacers are just as safe as rims with the same amount of overall backspacing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jag, good to know. Any brand that are known to be most reliable? I see spidertrax, rugged ridge teraflex, and synergey on quadratec.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any tips to "properly" install them. I mean spacers seem pretty straight forward so long as they are properly torqued.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any tips to "properly" install them. I mean spacers seem pretty straight forward so long as they are properly torqued.

I'm running rough country 1.5" spacers and have had zero issues. When you take your stock wheels off, pry off the "washers" that are on a few of the studs. I also hit the mounting surface with a scotch brite to remove any rust or debris. Put the spacers on and tighten the lugs down in a star pattern. I torqued mine to about 120 ft lbs. Check them after a few miles and then again after 500. Mine have all been tight as heck everytime I've check them.

Also, I have 285/70/17 duratracs and I love them so far.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Go with the 285's and Spidertrax spacers. Make sure you use the locktite that comes with them and properly torque them. They also have the install instructions on their website.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice, good to know there are a few people running the same things. And thanks for the tips, ordering now so i can get tires installed next weekend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As mentioned the Spacers are fine when properly installed. I use them on both of my JKU's.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I run the RC 1.5's... they make my 2 door ride and handle way better than without them... nothing to worry about... and you can still do anything you want with the rig...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Spacers are fine, especially a high quality brand like SpiderTrax. Just be aware that they're another maintenance item--at every tire rotation you're going to want to make sure they're still torqued down. Also, be aware that some tire shops will not touch your jeep (tire rotations or changing tires) if you have spacers.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Go with the 285's and Spidertrax spacers. Make sure you use the locktite that comes with them and properly torque them. They also have the install instructions on their website.
What he said. I've run that setup on medium to hard trails and on the rocks w/ absolutely no problem. Hub centric spacers (Spidertrax, maybe synergy) are supposedly better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts