Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been toying around with the thought of a license plate delete and relocation to over the spare. Curious what set ups y'all might have done from self fab to kits.

Also trying to thing of any pros and cons... so far only thing i can think of is no LED over tag at night and more to take off if ever need the heavy spare... 35":censored::)

If you have ideas and or pics, I am game. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Did you bother searching? I remember when I was looking at solutions I found plenty of threads that asked the same question.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Not trying to be an asshat, but what’s the benefit of this relocation, is it just to be different or for aesthetics?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Do a quick search for threads by me. I had 2 recently on the topic. One covered the plate illumination issue too. I’d find them but I am on my phone.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you bother searching? I remember when I was looking at solutions I found plenty of threads that asked the same question.
Yes, I did bother but maybe I need to be more specific with terms as I didn't find what I was looking for. Will do again.

Do a quick search for threads by me. I had 2 recently on the topic. One covered the plate illumination issue too. I’d find them but I am on my phone.
Thanks bud.

Not trying to be an asshat, but what’s the benefit of this relocation, is it just to be different or for aesthetics?
My purpose would be so I don't continually knock into it with my hip based on how I must park. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
original plate location sucks big time, looks stupid, hate the plastic holder, budge all the way....i relocated mine, one of the best mods i ever did imo....

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I guess I can see if the fender was running on a rock or tree then the holder could get ripped out. So far I’ve only run against what I would call large brush (10 ft tall) and small trees and the fender keeps most of that away from the holder. I will disagree that the tire location looks better that factory location. No right or wrong way to do it, just my personal aesthetic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mines been zip tied on for about a year now. Once the stock fender flares were gone, the stock plate holder managed to get broken off :blackeye

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Bearded Jeeper on YT has a pretty cool way to keep the plate in the stock area. You could probably figure out a way to rig up the light from the stock bracket as well-

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines been zip tied on for about a year now. Once the stock fender flares were gone, the stock plate holder managed to get broken off :blackeye
thanks for the ideas bud. :D zip ties are the best - just like electric tape:bop:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I used JCR OFFROAD's tag relocation bracket and their bottle opener for the hole. The bracket comes with the 3rd brake and tag lights...

Reactions: Sleddogn

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When I first got my JK, I never really understood the whole plate relocation thing. How could the plate mount get damaged if there is a big ole fender flare right in front of it? Then mine got smashed pretty hard on a tight trail. The plastic mount was cracked badly, and it actually bent the metal around the square mounting holes in the body, which cracked the paint & required touch-up. Luckily, no noticeable damage once the delete plug was installed.

So, on went a Teraflex relocation bracket and a Mopar delete plug for the body. I use the same K&S plate light as brandofamily, which is:
https://www.amazon.com/Technologies-...orumconvert-20

1 - 17 of 17 Posts