Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently researching and buying the parts necessary to properly run 37s on my Jeep so that it is reliable and comfortable on the street and minor off-roading (beaches and dirt roads, but zero rock crawling) in Kauai. The off-road shops there are slim pickings, so I'm wanting to make it nice and reliable before I ship it over there.

I want to make my axels stronger, but not go too overboard. I have no need or interest for 60s. I have a place local to me in Texas currently that was going to sleeve and gusset my current axels while I change the gearing to 4.88 or 5.14 ( still to be determined). I hear pluses and minuses to doing that to your stock axels, and I'm thinking that to address these two main weak points, I might as well buy these axel housings, then swap my rubicon parts over to them, regear, and reinstall on the Jeep.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/52467_0000_07.htm

What are your thoughts on this, and have you heard good or bad things about these axels? Also any suggestions for better brands or better ideas?

As always, I appreciate all of you input.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
I have a G2 D44 up front (4.56) and G2 halfshafts in back. Just installed both in March so no long-term reliability report. I did drive them 1900 miles to Utah on 34" tires towing a trailer, then swapped on 37" trail tires for 700+ miles of trails over a couple weeks, then back home 1700 miles on the 34s. They did the thing axles do, without problems or drama.

The local shop has much experience with Spicer Ultimate, G2, and ProRock and ranks them in that order of toughness. The prices of each also line up in that order.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
If it was me and I wanted to save some coin I would Truss and Gusset the axles if I already had 44's.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The core 44. The seals constantly leaked. Locker would get stuck when ingaged.

-JP
Sorry to hear ! The first sounds like a parts or design issue, the second might be the locker. Front or back ? Was there any support from G2 ? I heard they had some issues in their early production runs ... When did you get yours ?

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
My G2 locker up front is an Auburn Ected. I use it as little as possible, but probably had it engaged 25 times without issue last month. Hope it doesn't give problems. All my previous experience (as well as the locker currently in my rear stock 44) has been Eaton e-locker, again no problems. No visible seal leaks so far (I just checked) but that's a short sample time of 6 weeks, 5000 miles.

I think Southern Offroad, the shop that installed it, hasn't seen any problems with them, or they wouldn't sell them, since they know I'll be back bitching and moaning if it starts acting up any. (Like my Griffin attenuator, which has torn up twice and they replaced twice, then just restored the OEM and refunded my $. So they don't want to be on the hook for that 44.)

I'm not arguing with KrawlOffRoad -- just providing my and my shop's experience. Sorry you had that bad experience, JP.

2,662 Posts
My G2 locker up front is an Auburn Ected. I use it as little as possible, but probably had it engaged 25 times without issue last month. Hope it doesn't give problems. All my previous experience (as well as the locker currently in my rear stock 44) has been Eaton e-locker, again no problems. No visible seal leaks so far (I just checked) but that's a short sample time of 6 weeks, 5000 miles.

I think Southern Offroad, the shop that installed it, hasn't seen any problems with them, or they wouldn't sell them, since they know I'll be back bitching and moaning if it starts acting up any. (Like my Griffin attenuator, which has torn up twice and they replaced twice, then just restored the OEM and refunded my $. So they don't want to be on the hook for that 44.)

I'm not arguing with KrawlOffRoad -- just providing my and my shop's experience. Sorry you had that bad experience, JP.
No worries Im glad you are having a good experience with yours.

-JP

·
Registered
158 Posts
My G2 locker up front is an Auburn Ected. .
So why the Ected up front ? Do you drive in 4 wheel mode a lot, w/o locking it ? I had eaton true tracks in my front and back on my TJ, but when putting in new axles ( Core 44 knock on wood ), I went with an elocker up front, as I hardly drove in 4 wheel on the road ... and thought the elocker might be better if I ever really off road :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Front. No support at all. Not even from the shop i got it from. It was 2 years ago. 2014 jku. Was totaled by a drunk driver.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Yeck - again sorry to hear ! I would have hoped they would have worked with you, especially with one of the early releases. What kind of locker did you in front ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts