Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm planning on putting some money into mods for a 2015 Rubicon/Rubicon Hard Rock and was wondering if this list of performance mods sounds good/complete. Money isn't really an issue.

LIST:
A set of 35's
Borla CatBack exhaust system
K&N High performance air intake
A set of performance brake pads (I heard the brakes on the new Wranglers are iffy)
MetalCloak GameChanger ARB 6Pak 3.5" lift
Warn V1200 Winch

I'm also going to get a regear to 5.13.

Any recommendations for other mods? This is not including the aesthetic upgrades I'm including.

Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: I'm not gonna order any parts until I take it off road and see how it drives, I'm just looking at ideas and doing some research.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Here is an idea....go buy one and drive it (off road) and see how it does. THEN decide what to bolt onto it. The general consensus on here is that intake and exhaust mods give you a very meager return on your investment, and a K&N air filter is really pretty piss poor at keeping dirt out of your engine. The OEM brakes are fine, unless you are bolting on wheels and tires that weigh double what the factory setups weigh. If you are going to 35s, then a brake upgrade might be in order...who knows?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is an idea....go buy one and drive it (off road) and see how it does. THEN decide what to bolt onto it. The general consensus on here is that intake and exhaust mods give you a very meager return on your investment, and a K&N air filter is really pretty piss poor at keeping dirt out of your engine. The OEM brakes are fine, unless you are bolting on wheels and tires that weigh double what the factory setups weigh. If you are going to 35s, then a brake upgrade might be in order...who knows?
Thanks! I'm not gonna order the parts until I buy it and drive it, but I was just doing research on it. In your opinion, I should completely drop the air filter and exhaust?

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
If you want performance, get a supercharger or turbocharger. the add on intakes/exhaust will not give you as much power even when tuned. wf member pieface did a dyno and barely squeezed an extra 10. he lost power by adding the exhaust.

the lift kit is complete, but you'll need to address your driveshaft at that height. For 35's... at least strengthen your axle C's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want performance, get a supercharger or turbocharger. the add on intakes/exhaust will not give you as much power even when tuned. wf member pieface did a dyno and barely squeezed an extra 10. he lost power by adding the exhaust.

the lift kit is complete, but you'll need to address your driveshaft at that height. For 35's... at least strengthen your axle C's.
The only reason I was hesitant about a super/turbocharger is the need for premium 91 octane fuel, as the costs of gas go up, it could be very costly. Axle C's? Is there any you would recommend?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are you aware of all of the other things that need done with a 3.5" lift?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Just my .02 here

Like plastic said, drive it for a bit then decide what you want to get done. On the power front, check out my "banks Dyno day" thread to get an idea of what bolt-ons will do...I'm pleased with my outcome, but if money really isn't an issue the def turbo/supercharge that bad boy! You'll see much bigger gains much bigger grins lol. As far as the lift, you may want to check into what else would need to be done to harbor a successful and long lasting 3.5" lift. Once you cross the 2.5-3"threshold lots needs to be done. As for gearing...depending on what your plans are for your rig (daily driver with the occasional offroad run, or serious crawling/purpose offroad) 5.13 may be a little extreme. That's the range for a more serious 37" and possibly up dedicated off-roader. You could make it happen, but would be consistently turning painfully high rpm's at highway speeds (there's a gear ratio chart that's color coded if you haven't seen it...great info to start with)not to mention if you do go with a power added, such high ratio wouldn't necessarily be required...esp for 35's...not going to comment on the winch since I haven't gotten one yet. So like I said, just my opinion...but be sure to ask away, there's lost of good people on here with lots of valuable info!

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
You have a 2 door right? I would nix the 3.5 lift and go with 2.5. First, you dont need added clearance on a 2 door (like 4 doors do) as you have a worlds better breakover angle. Second, 2 doors tend to get tippy and top heavy with big tires and big lifts - staying low enough to clear your tires and flex a little is all you need on a 2 door. Once you get at 3.5 and over you start putting the driveline at all kinds of unhappy angles and having to mess with aftermarket driveshafts and high steer systems and so on. And the wheel wells are big enough already - those 35s will start to look small and disproportional on a big lift.

The lowest part on your rig are your differentials which are on the axles. Putting a bigger suspension lift ABOVE the axles will not buy you any added differential clearance. The only thing that raises the differentials is UNDER the axles - aka the tires. (4 door Jeeps benefit from extra suspension lift even with the differential low as they tend to get hung up on their big long undersides offroad even when they clear their differentials - this is not an issue with 2 doors).

I run 37 inch tires on a 2.5 inch lift with chopped flat fenders.

Is this going to be a street rig or rock crawling rig? You will probably dislike 5.13 gearing in a predominantly street rig with 35s. It will be very deep. Consider 4.56 or 4.88. I run 5.13 but I have very heavy 37 inch tires, and I geared more to crawl rocks than to crawl the curbs.

Also nix the air filter and exhaust - not needed. The brakes are pretty decent - with 35s, you can postpone the upgrade until your first needed brake job.

A 12000 winch is overkill on a 2 door. You dont even have enough weight to use that capacity - your rig will get pulled before your winch maxes out. 8000 or 10000 would be enough.

C gussets for sure. Depending how hard you plan to play offroad, consider a full truss (a support welded on to your axle). Look up Artec Front Axle Armor Kit - it includes c gussets and truss.

If you will be places you need a winch and 35s, you need belly armor skid plates and beefier differential covers/sliders.

Ball joints will be a sooner rather than later item.

Now take it out and see what it can do before you do a thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts