Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into OBA for my rig ('13 JKU). I currently do not have any air lockers and may or may not in the future (another discussion). Anyways, I was looking at these units and was curious as to your thoughts on them.

Option 1.
ARB twin compressor either mounted below front passenger seat or under hood with the new bracket from MORE.

Option 2.
Viair constant duty ADA system mounted under the hood. This unit is the 450C contact duty compressor with a built in small air reservoir to enable use of air lockers. Link to unit at Air Werz

These would be wired to my sPod. I know that ARB makes a special harness/adapter for this and I think wires direct to the battery for power and then to sPod for switching. (correct me if I am wrong). I think the Viair unit would just wire direct to the sPod.

Also, I know that ARB makes a harness/adapter to wire everything in to the sPod if you add air lockers. I am not sure how it all would work in regards to wiring up air locker switch with the Viair unit.

Any pros or cons with these units? Can any one outline the hook up process if I were to go with air lockers later? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
I have the 400C mounted under hood. I like it. A little more CFM 2.5 but it shuts off after 4 tires from overheat. I will most likely add a ARB twin under the passenger seat to augment this one. Then I will have 7.5 cfm and can run air tools on the trail or fill my buddies tires too. I find that if you have OBA then your gonna have buddies when it gets to trails end.Or to reseat a bead on the trail.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have the 450c mounted under the hood, nice compact location but when the compressor runs the brake pedal vibrates bad. Thinking of moving it to the cargo void. But it is a great compressor.

I do have ARB lockers front and rear I used an aluminum manifold as a distribution point. Also run dual 2.5 gallon tanks.

I found that this was the best location but when I installed the sPOD unit I had to relocate the manifold.

Minus the 2nd compressor my plan is to move it back here:

But that also means some cutting and metal work so it will have to wait till summertime.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been looking pretty hard at the ARB twin unit. What are ya'lls thoughts on mounting location? Either under the hood using the bracket by M.O.R.E. or under the passenger seat using the bracket by Carolina Metal Masters? I know the under seat location would be less heat and cleaner air, but not sure I wouldn't want the under hood. I thought I read where the air intake filters could be relocated. Has anybody done this? If so you could route them into the cab under the dash. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 450c mounted under the hood, nice compact location but when the compressor runs the brake pedal vibrates bad. Thinking of moving it to the cargo void. But it is a great compressor.

I do have ARB lockers front and rear I used an aluminum manifold as a distribution point. Also run dual 2.5 gallon tanks.

I found that this was the best location but when I installed the sPOD unit I had to relocate the manifold.

Minus the 2nd compressor my plan is to move it back here:

But that also means some cutting and metal work so it will have to wait till summertime.
Can you elaborate on how you have your lockers connected? I know you would need a alum. manifold like you mentioned. Wouldn't you also need a pressure switch for them as well?

I would hook mine up to my sPod so I know I would have one switch for the compressor and a switch for each locker (total of 3 switches).

From what I understand, you would hook the compressor to the manifold, then a port for hooking a fill hose, then each locker to a port, and whatever else you wanted to run from the manifold.

I'm jut trying to wrap my head around how it all goes together. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the ARB twin mounted within the engine bay using the MORE bracket. I have an 09 JK and it was a tight fit, but it worked. The ARB twin is a very nice unit. I like it being located within the engine bay, so I can use the space underneath the front seats for storage for other things, esp. since I drive a 2 door.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the ARB twin under the hood of a '12. I used the MORE bracket and it sits next to the SPOD. I do not need it for lockers, but I did run the output from the compressor to a manifold and then ran two lines for air into the cab. I am thinking about a small tank at some point, but not sure where I would put it as I have a 2 door.

I haven't had any issues with mine being under the hood. One thing I noticed right away was that it was pretty warm to the touch due to the temps from the engine, but then again everything is, including the SPOD. The install of the MORE bracket can me a small pita, but nothing horrid. The only hard part really is that aft post, but the skirt being clipped in that wheel well helped.

The only other thing that I would mention is that the compressor vibration can be felt in the cab when running. It isn't anything terrible or bad or a reason not to get it. I mention it just because I would presume that under the passenger's seat the vibration and noise would be greater. Again...just a presumption.

I wanted to point out that the harness is is made by SPOD, not ARB. I picked one up and it is couldn't make the wiring any easier. Run red and black to one switch for power and then if you have lockers, run green to the + one a switch and yellow to the + on another switch.

SPOD's ARB Harness

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Can you elaborate on how you have your lockers connected? I know you would need a alum. manifold like you mentioned. Wouldn't you also need a pressure switch for them as well?

I would hook mine up to my sPod so I know I would have one switch for the compressor and a switch for each locker (total of 3 switches).

From what I understand, you would hook the compressor to the manifold, then a port for hooking a fill hose, then each locker to a port, and whatever else you wanted to run from the manifold.

I'm jut trying to wrap my head around how it all goes together. Thanks.

yea no problem I have a build thread I will have to try to dig up.. I am currently rebuilding my whole OBA system with stainless steel lines, so I will have more info soon.

But to answer your question real quick No you do not have to have a pressure switch nor do you need a regulator. My compressor is hooked to my spod I just turn it on and off as needed, if I air up my tanks to 150 PSI it will hold good pressure for about 3 days. But my compressor feeds the manifold, then the ARB solenoids and pressure gauge are attached to the manifold. Then I have a hose than run from the manifold to the tanks. I will get a more detail description later but PM me with any question for quicker response.

I ran a dual display gauge so I could see pressure at the the manifold for locker use and in the tanks because I had my system split so in the event of a line busting I could isolate the system and maintain some level of usefulness.

No pressure sensor needed, just watch the gauge, oh and if you forget and it builds up to much pressure the relief valves on the tanks will pop. This happened one time I was not in the Jeep and did not realize how fast it would build. My unsuspecting passenger got the snot scared out of her.

This was when I had a regulator installed to dial down the manifold pressure ARB actually recommended I remove the regulator that the locker would perform better at higher pressure just don't exceed 165.

I chose to mount the tanks inside.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Nevermind...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you go with Viair, don't count on the warranty if/when it breaks...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Really? I had some questions called tech support they were more than helpful. Sucks you had a bad experience.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
MAG00

Here is a quick drawing I did to outline the basic set up of my system.

Red= Compressor
Blue= Manifold
Orange= Gauge sensor
Black= air lines
Yellow= tanks
Purple=ARB Solenoids

Compressor is turned on/off buy switch on sPOD, no pressure sensor or regulator is in the system.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Been using my Viair for two years now to air up. No problems what so ever.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Been using my Viair for two years now to air up. No problems what so ever.

YMMV. Mine stopped putting out air after a total of 16 tire fills (From 8-15 psi to 28 psi). Charged for the repair instead of "warranty" claiming "condensation" in the compressor. They then placed an unauthorized charge of 30 dollars more than I was quoted for the repair.

Hope everyone elses luck is better than mine. No Viair product will ever touch my Jeep again.

Funny the Harbor Freight one I had before lasted literally 4 times as long...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've run this same tank and viair compressor for 7 years. It was always mounted under vehicle with no protection until I bought the jeep. The viair compressor that this one replaced wasn't 100% duty cycle. Only lasted 6 months.
ForumRunner_20150227_171324.jpg

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm kind of liking what I have read about the ARB twin compressor. I'm undecided though on mounting location. The M.O.R.E. under hood bracket looks good and would have the sounds of the unit out of the cab. However, the under passenger seat mount by Carolina Metalmasters looks good as well to keep the unit in a dry, clean, and a lot less heat environment.

Any thoughts on these mounting locations...pros...cons?

From what I have read the ARB's twin filters can be relocated. I guess you could mount it under the hood with the bracket from M.O.R.E. and run lines to the cab for the filters. Has anybody done this with this specific unit?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts